Defensive Carry banner

Shotgun for Girlfriend?

6K views 53 replies 31 participants last post by  Bark'n 
#1 ·
While I've used guns all my life (handguns all the way up to howitzers!) my use of shotguns has been limited to sporting use. I live in an apartment, and while I feel safe enough there with my Sig P229 and Ruger SP101 I worry about my girlfriend. I often have to work nights and leave her alone, plus apartment doors tend to be even less strong than most house doors. Her knowledge of firearms is about nil (something I hope to cure with time) but in the meantime I worry about her safety when I'm gone.

For these reasons I'm thinking about buying a shotgun for additional defense. It should be a lot easier to teach her to be proficient with a shotgun in a short amount of time compared to getting her up to speed with a handgun.

She's not a big girl, so I'm thinking recoil is likely going to be an issue. I was thinking of getting a 20 gauge to lesson the recoil but after a quick search of the web I found there isn't much available as far as buckshot rounds are concerned for the 20 gauge.

Are the "low recoil" 12 gauge buckshot rounds much lower than the non "reduced recoil" load? Do they still maintain a high level of effectiveness? Any thoughts on high quality recoil pads? Or should I go with a 20 gauge and just put up with having a low selection of defensive rounds?

See less See more
#29 ·
My wife likes the 20ga Remington semi-auto. It's a smooth shooter and absorbs most of the recoil.

Honestly so does the 1100 12ga, but it is much heavier and a bit longer and she doesn't like it for that reason. A 12 gauge gas operated semi-auto youth model might also be a good choice, depends on her recoil tolerance.

#31 ·
Before you decide which type of buckshot to use... reduced recoil or full power, or 12 gauge vs. 20 gauge, you should consider first if they can effectively wield the shotgun in close quarters against multiple opponents.

My wife, 5'2" can shoot a 12 ga. Mossberg 590 pump with 20 inch barrel accurately and quickly. No problem with recoil! No bruises or getting knocked on her butt and no getting the pump action in a bind from short stroking the action. She knows an aggressive forward leaning stance to shoot from.

However, in the close confines of the home, and in a "gun grab" situation, she just doesn't "wield" it confidently. In other words, it would be rather easy to disarm her. And that is a very legitimate concern everyone should have.

The good thing is that she realizes this and even though I have worked with her on long arm retention drills, she still does not feel confident with it as a primary home defense weapon.

Fortunately, we have some other options. She much prefers her pistol or the AR-15 collapsible stock carbine as a primary weapon and is much more secure with those in a potential "gun grab" situation. In my opinion that AR-15 carbine is a natural for women. It certainly is for my wife.

However, she has no problem using the 12 gauge shotgun as Ayoob suggests. Which is being used as an "artillery" piece from inside the ensconced/barricaded position inside the bedroom, and using it from behind cover of the bed.

When she's at home alone, she has at least 2 pistols within arms reach in the living room and usually has the AR-15 handy at the end of the sofa.

For self defense rounds, we use the Hornady Personal Defense .223 rounds in the AR-15.

While the Shotgun is an awesome defensive tool, you need to ensure that the person using it is confident and competent with it in all situations including CQB where a potential gun grab can occur. Especially if there are multiple intruders who could rush her at any time.

Just make sure it is an appropriate tool for your loved one to use before turning them loose with it. It does no good to be able to effectively neutralize one attacker only to be killed by his other two accomplices because your loved one couldn't effectively control it during a disarming attempt.

YMMV.

#33 ·
Multiple intruders is one of my concerns. In fact it seems that more and more home invasions consist or two or more thugs. An AR-15 is an option, and being retired Army I'm very familiar with the AR15/M16/M4 series of weapons. It also has the advantage of a higher rate of fire and greater magazine capacity.

But I'm thinking it might be easier to teach her to use a shotgun effectively than an AR plus a shotgun would probably be safer with us living in an apartment.

#34 ·
Question for all: Right now I'm looking at a Remington 870, but only because I'm familar with Remingtons and have never owned a Mossberg. How do they stack up to each other?

#35 ·
Personal preference... They are both fighting shotguns with decent reputations as far as I'm concerned. USMC uses Moss 590's.

My Mossberg 590 has an 8 round tube magazine with the 20 inch barrel. I have a 6 round Side Saddle mounted to the receiver and a 6 round Eagle Industries pouch mounted on the shoulder stock. That's 20 rounds of mixed 00 buck and slugs mounted to the gun itself and in the tube.

I don't care who you are, that's a formidable fighting tool in anyone's book!

I also have a 56 round bandoleer of 12 ga buck shot and slugs close by. But regardless of that, I still have 20 rounds attached to the gun.

Regarding Remington 870's. Wilson Combat owns Scattergun Technologies and have a "rebuild program" for used Rem 870's which is very economical (Remington Steal). You can pick up a old used 870 at any pawn shop relatively cheap and send it in to Wilson Combat and have it upgraded to a real reliable fighting shotgun for a couple hundred bucks.

Scattergun Technologies link.

This is from their website:

Please explain the "Remington Steal" rebuild offer?

The "Remington Steal" is a special rebuild offer. We completely rebuild your used Remington 870 shotgun. The package includes:

*Replacement of all worn and damaged parts

*Convert chamber to accept 3 inch rounds (if required)

*Convert the shell feed to the flexitab anti-jam system

*Install a new magazine tube spring and follower

*Install a new synthetic butt stock and foregrip

*Replace safety with current design

*Strip and parkerize all external parts

*Strip and anodize trigger group

#36 ·
870 vs. the 590... Both are good guns. The 590 is built like a tank, and is a bit heavier and larger. It also has a tang mounted safety. Some like that, others do not.

The 870; a time proven classic. Its hard to beat the 870 in any catagory. If it were me, I'd buy the 870 time and time again. But, there is nothing wrong with a 590. And don't confuse the 500 for the 590. There is a huge differences, they are not the same.

#42 ·
Ultimately I want to have two shotguns - his and hers. If she's home alone she will be better able to defend herself, and if we're both home we should be pretty well able to defend ourselves.

#39 ·
There has been lots of good, and even great, advice given in this thread.

Living in an apartment, something I refuse to do BTW, changes the "scope" of things considerably in my opinion. If I was the OP I'd stick with what Bark'n and Sixto said and ignore myself. :bier:

I love a shotgun from an barricaded position, ala Massad Ayoob. There are some 12 Guage rounds that I find the felt recoil to be less than some 20 Guage rounds. The thing is, you will have to expirment around and find what you, or she, likes.

If the shotgun is not something she is comfortable with, but wanting better than a handgun, have you considered a handgun caliber carbine? I'm not referring to the Kel Tec's here, but something like a Colt AR in 9mm.

There are many options out there that are "appropriate" for an apartment, one just has to seek them out. Good luck, take care and stay safe. Please do let us know what you decide on, as I'm curious. :bier:

Biker

#45 ·
It's 2.5 inches longer yet lighter. The extra length concerns me a bit. Might be harder to handle in indoors.

#48 ·
Didn't see this in the thread, so . . .

If you are thinking about using a 2" shell as a reduced recoil, beware of misfeeds. I had a LGS guy tell me they should work just fine, but me experience was otherwise. I figured 6 pellets of 00 should work well enough for HD, but I had consistent misfeed issues chambering another shell.

FWIW, I was also thinking 20 ga. for the same reasons as the OP, but went with 12 ga. after doing similar research; Maverick 7+1, 20" barrel.

#51 ·
I'll stick with 2 3/4" low-recoil rounds. Probably these.

Right now I'm still torn between the 870 and 590A1. The 590 is lighter but longer and has greater magazine capacity. But the 870 being a bit more heavy might help a bit with recoil, and being over 2" shorter it would be more handy for HD.

Whatever we get, she's going to put a lot of rounds through it!

#49 ·
Here are a few pics of my Mossberg 590A1. (sorry for pic quality... done in haste at work today)

Side Saddle Shell Holder

Eagle Industries Shell Carrier on Butt Stock

Tritium Front Sight Bead

#52 ·
Go for a 14" barrel Border Patrol or Professional model from Scattergun Technologies!

I've been toying with the idea! Much easier to wield in CQB and narrow hallways. Plus I could use it on the entry team on our SRT team.

#53 ·
Go for a 14" barrel Border Patrol model from Scattergun Technologies!

I've been toying with the idea! Much easier to wield in CQB and narrow hallways. Plus I could use it on the entry team on our SRT team.
Isn't anything under 14" limited to LEOs only by the BATF?

#54 ·
Nope... you need to fill out paperwork from BATF and pay a $200 federal transfer tax and it's yours.

It's an NFA weapon, same as machine guns and noise suppressors. Legal for civilians to own but you have a few hoops to go through. (Background Check, Fingerprints, Photo ID and the one time $200 fee) Not a whole lot different than when you got your CCW in most states.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.