Shotgun for Girlfriend? - Page 4

Shotgun for Girlfriend?

This is a discussion on Shotgun for Girlfriend? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by CEW58 I was just looking through the Mossberg website and think this beauty might be a contender: The 590A1 9 Shot. At ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    I was just looking through the Mossberg website and think this beauty might be a contender: The 590A1 9 Shot.

At 41 inches long and 7 1/4 pounds it shouldn't be too big for her to handle. It's 2.5 inches longer than the 870 Express 7 shot but slightly lighter, and two extra rounds never hurt either. Hmm...
    The 590A1 9 Shot is the one I have. It also came with a ventilated heat shield over the barrel to keep from burning your bare skin if shooting it a lot.

You'll notice if you buy it that it holds 9 shells in the mag tube if you are using standard 2 3/4 inch shells.

If using 3 inch magnum shells you lose one round in the tube magazine.

I also have replaced my front sight bead with a tritium bead so I can see the end of the barrel if shooting in the dark. It really makes a difference and a positive addition to any shotgun.

The only two things I would like to add in the future is a surefire light mounted fore stock and a Hogue Shoulder Stock giving it a 1 1/2 inch shorter length of pull.

I highly recommend having the side saddle on the receiver to hold six extra rounds and the pouch on the shoulder stock for an additional six rounds. And those two items are cheap additions and no drilling on gunsmithing needed.

I'll try and post a couple pictures of mine later today.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    Ultimately I want to have two shotguns - his and hers. If she's home alone she will be better able to defend herself, and if we're both home we should be pretty well able to defend ourselves.
    IMO
    It might be wise to have two of the same model shotgun with the same mods. That way it makes no difference which one you pick up.

Tracy
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Didn't see this in the thread, so . . .

If you are thinking about using a 2" shell as a reduced recoil, beware of misfeeds. I had a LGS guy tell me they should work just fine, but me experience was otherwise. I figured 6 pellets of 00 should work well enough for HD, but I had consistent misfeed issues chambering another shell.

FWIW, I was also thinking 20 ga. for the same reasons as the OP, but went with 12 ga. after doing similar research; Maverick 7+1, 20" barrel.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Here are a few pics of my Mossberg 590A1. (sorry for pic quality... done in haste at work today)

Side Saddle Shell Holder

Eagle Industries Shell Carrier on Butt Stock

Tritium Front Sight Bead

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    The 590A1 9 Shot is the one I have. It also came with a ventilated heat shield over the barrel to keep from burning your bare skin if shooting it a lot.

You'll notice if you buy it that it holds 9 shells in the mag tube if you are using standard 2 3/4 inch shells.

If using 3 inch magnum shells you lose one round in the tube magazine.

I also have replaced my front sight bead with a tritium bead so I can see the end of the barrel if shooting in the dark. It really makes a difference and a positive addition to any shotgun.

The only two things I would like to add in the future is a surefire light mounted fore stock and a Hogue Shoulder Stock giving it a 1 1/2 inch shorter length of pull.

I highly recommend having the side saddle on the receiver to hold six extra rounds and the pouch on the shoulder stock for an additional six rounds. And those two items are cheap additions and no drilling on gunsmithing needed.

I'll try and post a couple pictures of mine later today.
    The Surefire light is a definite add for me. Her night vision is very poor so I want to make sure there are no issues with her seeing her target.

Tritium bead or some other low-light aiming setup is another definite add. I won't be using 3" rounds as the recoil will probably be too much and I don't think they're necessary. Good ol' 2 3/4 00 buck ought to do nicely! I'm also going to go with an adjustable Knoxx stock so we can fit the gun to her better, and help with the felt recoil.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    Didn't see this in the thread, so . . .

If you are thinking about using a 2" shell as a reduced recoil, beware of misfeeds. I had a LGS guy tell me they should work just fine, but me experience was otherwise. I figured 6 pellets of 00 should work well enough for HD, but I had consistent misfeed issues chambering another shell.

FWIW, I was also thinking 20 ga. for the same reasons as the OP, but went with 12 ga. after doing similar research; Maverick 7+1, 20" barrel.
    I'll stick with 2 3/4" low-recoil rounds. Probably these.

Right now I'm still torn between the 870 and 590A1. The 590 is lighter but longer and has greater magazine capacity. But the 870 being a bit more heavy might help a bit with recoil, and being over 2" shorter it would be more handy for HD.

Whatever we get, she's going to put a lot of rounds through it!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Go for a 14" barrel Border Patrol or Professional model from Scattergun Technologies!

I've been toying with the idea! Much easier to wield in CQB and narrow hallways. Plus I could use it on the entry team on our SRT team.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Go for a 14" barrel Border Patrol model from Scattergun Technologies!

I've been toying with the idea! Much easier to wield in CQB and narrow hallways. Plus I could use it on the entry team on our SRT team.
    Isn't anything under 14" limited to LEOs only by the BATF?

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Nope... you need to fill out paperwork from BATF and pay a $200 federal transfer tax and it's yours.

It's an NFA weapon, same as machine guns and noise suppressors. Legal for civilians to own but you have a few hoops to go through. (Background Check, Fingerprints, Photo ID and the one time $200 fee) Not a whole lot different than when you got your CCW in most states.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links