FN FAL mag problem

This is a discussion on FN FAL mag problem within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I got an STG58 a few weeks ago. Great gun, but I'm having an issue with a new magazine I got yesterday. Every 4-5 ...

Thread: FN FAL mag problem

FN FAL mag problem

So I got an STG58 a few weeks ago. Great gun, but I'm having an issue with a new magazine I got yesterday.

Every 4-5 shots, it produces a failure to eject, then closes the bolt on the expended round, but the bolt carrier does not close all the way. It stays open about a half inch.

My plan is to replace the follower and spring with one from a working magazine. Then at least I'll know if it's the body or spring or whatever isn't working right.

Anyone else here ever heard of this problem?
    Give us this day our daily lead...

2. Remove Ads

As a possible alternative to magazine issues:

Is it possible that you have the gas turned down two low and that is causing a weak ejection?

Never had magazine issues, but I have had failure to ejects when the gas regulator is letting too much escape. When I had the gas regulator just on the edge of enough, it would kick out the brass about 6 feet, but would have an extraction or feed failure every 4 or 5 rounds.

It's set at 2, and works perfect with the other 4 magazines I have. It's just this one. I could play with it next time at the range and see if it's any combination of settings and a finicky magazine.

nah, 2 should be fine. Also that the other mags work (I see you had hinted at that in the original thread) blows that idea out of the water.

Good luck, I would be interested to hear the resolution if you come up with one. Even if it is just selling the trouble magazine and replacing it.

I'll let you know. I'll go to the range tomorrow, and replace it part by part, spring, follower, and body. If one of those solves it, hopefully it just means replacing a $2 spring or a $4 follower, not the whole $20 magazine.

Some things to check, are mags new or surplus? If they're surplus check for gunk, rust spots, or dents. Also if it is an inch mag it won't work in a metric FAL.

All metric mags, and all surplus. Very good condition surplus. I've looked over the thing time and time again looking for dents and such. I think the real test will be when I trade out parts, and maybe then I can at least narrow down what I'm looking for.

Edit: I just took that one apart and one good one. I can't see ANY difference on any part! They both look like two perfect magazines. I know it must be that one though, all the other 4 work just fine.

Even if it is only with the one mag, I would still turn the gas up a notch and see if it still happens. Failure to eject doesn't sound like a magazine problem no matter how you figure it IMO.

Austin

Well, that's one way to fix it... sort of.
    I took it to the range today, and it worked fine. I ran about 50 rounds through it the first time, checking and rechecking to see if I had done something wrong. Today it worked great.

I'll still keep my eye on it, not sure if I trust it completely yet.

I didn't think such a problem would have been caused by a mag either, but the other 4 magazines worked just fine, and just this one had the issue. Kind of a moot point now though.

Links