Henderson Defense "Certified" WASR AK-47s

This is a discussion on Henderson Defense "Certified" WASR AK-47s within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have experience with these? Seems like a great deal, and I've been wanting a .30-something carbine for awhile (not that I really need one, ...

Anyone have experience with these? Seems like a great deal, and I've been wanting a .30-something carbine for awhile (not that I really need one, mind you...I already have a Mini 14 in .223).

I did a search and found a few favorable mentions - just wanted a bit more feedback.

Since this is something I would likely use very rarely, I'm not willing to spend $1000 on it. But for less than $500...hmmmm...

AK47
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Not with Henderson Defense, but my WASR AK-47 shoots and run greats. Not a tack driver, but 1 to 2 MOA and goes bang everytime.
    Semper Fi

The things I've heard about Henderson D have been good.

AK = just like a ball peen hammer. You just need to work it!

The Henderson Defense model that is less than $500 looks to be a pretty standard WASR-10. Seems like a fair deal, but with shipping and transfer fee, you might find one for less in a shop close to home or at a nearby gun show. Either way, it will be semi-ugly, utterly reliable, fairly indestructable, near idiot-proof rifle capable of sufficient accuracy for the intended job. After all, it is an AK. Go for it!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Thanks. I'll think on it. I really like the "certified" aspect of their deal.

I don't know enough about AKs to feel comfortable inspecting one in a local shop to be sure I don't get a dog.

I'm soooo tired of unreliable guns...I had a Saiga AK in .308 that was ugly, inaccurate (wouldn't hold anything close to a shot group at only 100 yards), and UNreliable (stovepipe jams and trigger reset problems) - not to mention that it wouldn't seat aftermarket mags, and when I first cleaned it out of factory grease, I found a dead insect in the thing!

The 7.62 x 39 has the edge in barrier penetration compared to the lighter 5.56, but from what I've seen, with JHPs the 5.56 can be a darn effective manstopper. So, like I said, not sure I really need a .30-something carbine, but it's one of those things I've wanted for awhile.

Any more feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Buy the AK. Learn it, play with it, enjoy it. If you then think you don't 'need' it, you can easily sell it for about what you paid.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Granted I don't have an AK, but if I was going to buy one Henderson would be the place to do it. Getting it certified to have no canting is huge, especially if you don't know what to look for in the gunshop. I would say go for it.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

these are made by century which some people dont like,but my yugoslavian underfolder is a century build and has always worked great.
    the 7.62x39 is an awesome round.if the Russians had these at the start of ww2 it would not have lasted so long.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Henderson Defense is good to go. Buy with confidence. They back their products.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Thanks for all the replies. We have a baby on the way (#2) so I'm not sure if I should spend the money on another rifle when I already have a Mini 14, or spend less and get more mags and ammo for the Mini.

I have never been a "survivalist" but the way our government is spending us into oblivion really has me worried. I was in Florida after Hurricane Andrew and then in Somalia, so I have first hand experience wht happens when law and order breaks down.

The Mini has the advantage of shooting the commonly available 5.56 or .223. With the right ammo, this is a very good defensive caliber, especially if the bullet tumbles and fragments when hitting flesh (as it tends to do in the lighter weights). The Russian 7.62 x 39 is better penetrating barriers, and cheaper, but not as commonly available in the US. I also admit to liking the ergonomics of the Mini much better than the AK.

Decisions, decisions...
    CT Lasers

For what it's worth, I'm having an easier time finding 7.62x39 than I am 5.56 or .223. Plus with the AK, you have the advantage of being able to find good steel cased as well as brass cased ammunition for it.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Administrator
    OK. I'll stir the pot.
    If...you have another baby on the way and you already have a proved reliable and accurate Mini-14 and what you Don't Have is an unlimited cash reserve...I would forget the AK & buy some more best quality ammo for your Mini-14 plus a couple more best quality good capacity mags for it and sock away the cash but, not in any bank.
    That would be because in any law & order breakdown - whatever you can do with the WASR - you can already do with your Mini-14.

So for the vast majority of future SHTF scenarios, the AK would be a fairly redundant purchase for you.

Especially if you do not yet have an Emergency food reserve.

I would make keeping ready instant cash and Emergency "long term storage" food a first priority.

In a crisis - Cash is King.

Just my personal opinion on that.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    OK. I'll stir the pot.
    If...you have another baby on the way and you already have a proved reliable and accurate Mini-14 and what you Don't Have is an unlimited cash reserve...I would forget the AK & buy some more best quality ammo for your Mini-14 plus a couple more best quality good capacity mags for it and sock away the cash but, not in any bank.
    That would be because in any law & order breakdown - whatever you can do with the WASR - you can already do with your Mini-14.

So for the vast majority of future SHTF scenarios, the AK would be a fairly redundant purchase for you.

Especially if you do not yet have an Emergency food reserve.

I would make keeping ready instant cash and Emergency "long term storage" food a first priority.

In a crisis - Cash is King.

Just my personal opinion on that.
    Gonna agree with QKShooter. I stand by my original post about Henderson being good to go. However with the new info stock up and use what you already have.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Hate to pass up a good deal, but I think you guys are right.

Thanks!
    CT Lasers

Links