What Light for HD Shotgun?

What Light for HD Shotgun?

This is a discussion on What Light for HD Shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In another thread I've been discussing various shotguns for HD use. One thing we really didn't touch on is good tactical light setups for shotguns. ...

Question What Light for HD Shotgun?

In another thread I've been discussing various shotguns for HD use. One thing we really didn't touch on is good tactical light setups for shotguns.

Surefire makes a several forend shotgun lights that look promising. Are there other or better options out there?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Surefire doesn't make a foregrip for my Benelli Supernova. I'm using a new Streamlight TLR-1 C4 LED, rated at 120 lumens, with a Mesa Tactical mag extension clamp and attached pic rail for the mount.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Another vote for Streamlight. Seems I'm living in the dark ages here, but I still depend on my M-3 and M-6.

While the Surefire dedicated forearms are nice, they add weight, are expensive, and IMHO arenít as versatile as other options.

I use an Insight M3X on my Benelli with a magazine tube mount. Itís a solid light, lightweight and easily detachable, it also wonít break the bank as the cost is pretty reasonable.

I also have:

Surfire X300 on my Colt 6920
    Surfire X200B on my Sig 220St
    And a ďspareĒ Insight M3

The best part about these type lights is the ability to move from weapon to weapon or remove quickly when not needed. They are equally effective on long-guns as they are handguns.

I would go with an LED option if available due to the extended battery life. My Benelli doubles as my muskrat/beaver control gun, so I get a lot of use out of it. Iím still on the same bulb after hundreds of rounds, but it will eat batteries. Anything in the 65-125 lumen range will work indoors, IMHO anything over 125 is too much of a good thing inside.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Here's a few thoughts on the idea.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...pon-light.html
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Thanks for that link. I like Ram Rod's setup. Nice and compact! Where's a good place to buy a magazine mount like that?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck R. View Post
    While the Surefire dedicated forearms are nice, they add weight, are expensive, and IMHO arenít as versatile as other options.

I use an Insight M3X on my Benelli with a magazine tube mount. Itís a solid light, lightweight and easily detachable, it also wonít break the bank as the cost is pretty reasonable.

I also have:

Surfire X300 on my Colt 6920
    Surfire X200B on my Sig 220St
    And a ďspareĒ Insight M3

The best part about these type lights is the ability to move from weapon to weapon or remove quickly when not needed. They are equally effective on long-guns as they are handguns.

I would go with an LED option if available due to the extended battery life. My Benelli doubles as my muskrat/beaver control gun, so I get a lot of use out of it. Iím still on the same bulb after hundreds of rounds, but it will eat batteries. Anything in the 65-125 lumen range will work indoors, IMHO anything over 125 is too much of a good thing inside.

Chuck
    I was thinking the same thing about the Surefire option. The light is a dedicated shotgun light and can't be used for anything else. I think I'll opt for a magazine tube mount as well.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

I mounted a LED G2 SureFire on my 870 mag tube. Make sure you get a real good universal clamp or the light will slip & slide during slug firing.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I ordered my mount from brownells and it's rock solid.
    The 6p led on a pressure switch works great.
    BROWNELLS : LITE MOUNT TECHNOLOGIES : TACTICAL SHOTGUN MOUNT - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Have a mossberg 500. I put a side saddle
    sheel carrier on then got a flashlight mount
    that goes into and clamps on one of the shell slots.
    Very sturdy mount.

Links