Shot Shell Ballistics--Need Help.

This is a discussion on Shot Shell Ballistics--Need Help. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bart I've never shot any 12 ga. slugs. From everything I hear, slugs produce a lot of recoil. My question is, are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shot Shell Ballistics--Need Help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    I've never shot any 12 ga. slugs. From everything I hear, slugs produce a lot of recoil. My question is, are slugs loaded to magnum specifications, and is the recoil equivalent?
    Hello, anyone?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    Hello, anyone?
    Slugs will diffinently give you more felt recoil over even hot 00 buck. However, with a good recoil pad or reducing recoil stock, you will not mind the shock. I've got a Knoxx CompStock on my Mossberg 590a1 and it really does the job.

With a standard stock if you are shooting 00 buck I highly recommend the reduced recoil rounds.

You can really work off a lot of frustrations by blowing things up with 00 buck and slugs. Much more satisfying than just using target rounds.

However, your shoulder will take a beating with a standard stock.

For my SD rounds I keep the 590a1 loaded with Federal Flightcontrol 00 buck or reduced recoil rounds. At 15 yards the Flightcontrol 00's will stay within a 6" to 8" pattern.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    I don't know if slugs are loaded to magnum specs or not, but slugs definitely have more pronounced recoil.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Thought I'd share some "real world" experience with reduced recoil 00 buck. I am VERY recoil sensitive due to neck/back problems so have been using RR buckshot and slugs for quite a while.

I shot a large dog a while back with Remington's 8 pellet RR 00 buck @ about 20-25yds. when he attacked my daughter's puppy. I hit him broadside with the first shot and could cover the pattern with my hand (8-9inches). Six of the 8 pellets were stopped by the ribs (ribs were broken) with only 2 pellets making it to any vital area. He got up back up and charged, the second shot was @ 6-8yds to the head.

Two lessons I took from this incident:

1. NEVER turn your back on a threat until you are POSITIVE there is no longer a threat.

After the first shot put him down with no obvious movement, I stopped to calm the 3 year old and check on her puppy.

2. Reduced recoil rounds are intended for CLOSE RANGE (in house distance) and NOT for farm protection.

I now have two HD shotguns. One dedicated "house gun" which never leaves the house except for practice and another loaded with standard 00 buck with 2 slugs and 2 buckshot in the speed-feed stock for going outside.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

TS I'm not sure you're correct on the reduced recoil loads being a "house round". I shoot at 25 and 50 yards with Federal Law Enforcement Low Recoil Loads and they are right on at those distances. I shoot the 00 buck loads and the slugs. Slugs are extremely accurate at 50 yards and have enough power to penetrate a 1" salt treated 2x6. I'd say that was far more than adequate for farm use.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Quote Originally Posted by chiefrcd View Post
    TS I'm not sure you're correct on the reduced recoil loads being a "house round". I shoot at 25 and 50 yards with Federal Law Enforcement Low Recoil Loads and they are right on at those distances. I shoot the 00 buck loads and the slugs. Slugs are extremely accurate at 50 yards and have enough power to penetrate a 1" salt treated 2x6. I'd say that was far more than adequate for farm use.
    My earlier post was based on one incident with Remington 8 pellet 00 buck.
    Accuracy was as expected; my concern is with terminal performance at longer than 'in house' distance. According to Remington, their RR load is intended for "close range".
    Remington Express® Managed-Recoil™ Buckshot

I spent some time at the range with a chronograph after this incident. Average (5 shots) velocity of the 8 pellet RR load from my 18.5" bbl @ 24" from the muzzle is 1034fps (advertised is 1200fps). Anyone here able to do the math to figure out the velocity loss at 20-25yds?

My guess is that the velocity had dropped enough that the individual pellets did not retain enough energy to penetrate the rib cage and reach the vital organs. That is only an educated guess based on what I observed after the fact.

I agree that a slug (I use Federal RR) would have been a better choice, but the shotgun I grabbed has a Speed-feed stock and only had 00 buck available at the time. I don't consider slugs for use inside my house as a good idea due to over-penetration and the problems that can cause. I have taken 2 deer with Federal RR slugs and both have dropped with one shot.

Something else to consider is an angry/aggressive 120+lb Rottweiler is a formidable target to stop with one shot.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links