How do I make my shottie look cool?

This is a discussion on How do I make my shottie look cool? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's my shotgun I put together last year for cheap. It works darn well, though. Pistol grip, new stock, high intensity light, laser sight and ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I make my shottie look cool?

Here's my shotgun I put together last year for cheap. It works darn well, though. Pistol grip, new stock, high intensity light, laser sight and quick acquisition sight. Oh yeah, and a 10 rnd magazine
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

hang it on the wall in my bedroom. i think that would look totally awesome. :D :P

i have to agree with the "smarter not cooler" idea. something to hold a few more shells. a light. I don't think a laser is bad if done right. im not a fan of the barrel shroud though. don't see much of a point. but to each his own.
    NREMT-B

"Dead is dead"
    "Yea, till we show up with jumper cables and drugs to debate it"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would stick with functional,a BG ain't gonna care how cool your shotty looks,I would add a light to it and should be good to go
    +1 agreed, keep it simple.

IMHO any modifications to a weapon system should be first, and foremost, performance enhancements, not cosmetic doo dads.

Every individual has different needs. Shock absorbing stocks such as the Knoxx Spec Ops stocks are acceptable not for their appearance but for their ability to allow the operator to reduce felt recoil and shooter fatigue. It also allows the operator a higher degree of flexibility when engaging multiple targets.

White light is also a performance enhancement, to some degree. A shotgun is a two handed operation, and with the proper white light you can illuminate when needed and go dark when needed.

Laser. This is one addition that I do enjoy only due to the fact that my vision is poor in the shooting eye. The laser allows me to place shot on target without using my shooting eye. This is user dependent, not necessary for everybody.

In the end, keep it simple and remember that your mods should reflect actual needs, not cosmetic desires.

Just my .02
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Administrator
    Everybody knows that cool shotguns are blue and walnut. they shoot better too.

Really though, spend the money and effort taking a class or two, then you will under stand that gadgets and doodads really look silly. You will want a slick shotgun, maybe a side saddle, and maybe a light... thats it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here's mine. Very simple, very basic. Side saddle and light only. I use the pistol grip because my hallways are too tight for full stock.

The light is TacStar 70 Lumens (only 70 lumens, so I don't "nightblind" myself with reflected light). The nice thing about the light is - it's a fairly focused spot and the 00 Buck pattern hits right in the center of the light spot, so no need for laser. Plus, I have a pressure switch mounted on the stock, very easy to access with my left thumb.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Everybody knows that cool shotguns are blue and walnut. they shoot better too.

Really though, spend the money and effort taking a class or two, then you will under stand that gadgets and doodads really look silly. You will want a slick shotgun, maybe a side saddle, and maybe a light... thats it.
    I have to agree with that analysis. Which is why I just use a simple quick release sling. It can come off in an instant if need be. Same goes with the buttstock mounted shell carrier.

As mine is set up now, I have 20 rounds in the magazine and mounted to the gun. That should be enough for any fight and still the gun is slick without superfluous gadgets hanging all over the place.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The shell holder you have will bust up your face if you should ever have to fire it from the weak side shoulder. You may come up on a piece of left-hand cover, or you may have a strong side injury. I'd ditch it for a side saddle. I'd spend a lot more on ammo than goodies.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Two words: Side saddle (the kind that attaches to the receiver)!!!

And two tone, you gotta do two tone. OD green and Black, or OD green and coyote tan, or coyote tan and black.

Than again, I'm not a very cool person so don't listen to me. But I still think a side saddle rocks.
    Mine's side saddled :-p does that mean I'm cool?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    Mine's side saddled :-p does that mean I'm cool?
    Yes.

The kind of cool that gets you a dancing banana...

dance banana, dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The shell holder you have will bust up your face if you should ever have to fire it from the weak side shoulder. You may come up on a piece of left-hand cover, or you may have a strong side injury. I'd ditch it for a side saddle. I'd spend a lot more on ammo than goodies.
    I dunno about that, I've shot it kneeling with barrel supported off a barricade shouldered weak side without using my right hand (simulated injury) without any problems many times.

I've had the shell carrier hit me in the cheek a few times but never an injury.

I have lost a couple of shells from the buttstock shell carrier when butt stroking a simulated manikin (4X4 post with padding on top half) in CQB drills, but I don't consider that a major problem, all things considered. The shells in the side saddle held tight however.

I can also replace that shell carrier with a shell carrier that is a "pouch type" with a flap over the top. It is interchangeable between the two type with a wide velcro backing without having to remove the base which straps to the buttstock with velcro.

Still it's attached with velcro, so the whole thing can be ripped from the gun and removed in about 2 seconds if needed. Again, Eagle Industries makes well thought out and functional products.

Not for nothing, but a lot of Eagles products were copied by Blackhawk when Blackhawk was just starting out.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Get a REAL HOT broad in a bikini to pose with it!!! Seriously, look into a shorter L.O.P. stock(12")like the Hogue Overmold I put on my 870 Tactical. Change the forend to an over molded too. You can also swap out for a shorter barrel also. I piece of rail for a SureFire should do the trick also. I'm a fan of K.I.S.S., don't hang too much stuff off it. Hope this helped!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    ...Seriously, look into a shorter L.O.P. stock(12")like the Hogue Overmold
    This is a must have for me! Honestly I don't know why I have put it off for so long, but I will be getting one soon. I was pricing them just last month.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

A heatshield for sure. I put a pistol grip forend
    on my shotgun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    This is a must have for me! Honestly I don't know why I have put it off for so long, but I will be getting one soon. I was pricing them just last month.
    It's so short that the knuckle on your strong hand is damned near under your nose. I opted for a Spec Ops instead and that solved all the LOP issues.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links