How do I make my shottie look cool? - Page 3

How do I make my shottie look cool?

This is a discussion on How do I make my shottie look cool? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have extremely short arms and torso so hopefully the Hogue isn't going to be a problem. I just like a traditional stock on my ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do I make my shottie look cool?

I have extremely short arms and torso so hopefully the Hogue isn't going to be a problem. I just like a traditional stock on my shotguns. I think it absorbs recoil a little better than the AR-15 type collapsible stocks. Just my opinion though. Not direct experience with a Spec Ops type stock on a shottie!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The best way to make a shotgun look cool? I dunno; try breaking windows with a Parkerized barrel, which will give it some character. Glass is HARD on finishes! Carry it in a car with a bare aluminum console (the kind in police cars) to give the wooden stock some character.

Nobody will mistake my 870P for a rookie's gun. Added features are subtle: a Vang-comped barrel, a big-head safety button, also from Vang Comp, and the forearm came from GG&G, which allows a light to be mounted on a short section of rail. I recently acquired a Scattergun Technologies 870 which has a ghost ring rear sight, a tritium front sight, an extended mag tube, and a stock with a shorter length of pull than stock, and NO vertical/pistol rear grip.

I have no use for a vertical rear grip on a stock. I hate sidesaddles. I want my shotgun light and agile, and to handle like a good bird gun. I do own my duty shotguns, which also serve for HD and personal-time SD. I put up with the extended mag tube on the newer one, and actually dislike the rear ghost ring, though I am trying to give myself time to get used to it. I may try to find an inexpensive way to mounted a square-notch rear sight on the barrel, instead.

Edited to add: I do have an old-school factory Remington top-folding stock, which I can install when I need to store a shotgun in a small space, yet have it ready to deploy. The grip is vertical, of course, a necessary evil for a folding stock set-up, and the Remington product works well for me because of my long arms. Its 14"+ length of pull makes it hard on smaller folks. Such a long LOP causes a smaller person's shoulder to extend too far, which also causes the stock to shift toward the face in recoil, a recipe for pain.

Know you already got a stock for your shotgun
    but I think the top folding stock looks the best
    on a shotgun then get a heatshield, forend pistol grip pump,
    and bandolier ammo sling!!

It's so funny we trick out our 1911's to make them cool and a guy who wants a bad a** shottie catches a wrath of why do you want to do that go spend money on classes well I guess the Kimber I have comming is gonna have to stay stock so I can do more range time in order to do the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    It's so funny we trick out our 1911's to make them cool and a guy who wants a bad a** shottie catches a wrath of why do you want to do that go spend money on classes .

I was thinking the same thing the other night about this.

Some of those pics in this thread though are good inspirations of how to go about having your shotty look cool and be functional. I've got a few ideas for mine now after a few of those pics.

It's your gun, do what you want, you know?

So far on mine I just have the adjustable AR15 style stock from ATI and a five shell holder on the stock as well.

Looking to get a heat shield...I did get a burn on me forearm working with it one time....so I think it would do me good....and give a cool look to boot.
    Last edited by Frogbones; August 22nd, 2009 at 01:18 AM. Reason: spelling....

Administrator
    Bling and silly do nothing add ons are two different things. Rarely is a shotgun a BBQ gun, unless we are talking about a sporting gun.

Dont confuse the BBQ gun and the tacticool silliness.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    It's so funny we trick out our 1911's to make them cool and a guy who wants a bad a** shottie catches a wrath of why do you want to do that go spend money on classes well I guess the Kimber I have comming is gonna have to stay stock so I can do more range time in order to do the right thing.
    Nothing wrong with a high-end weapon. The Scattergun Tech 870 I mentioned took a whole thousand-dollar bill, plus a bit more, but it does not have a bunch of extraneous things hanging off of it. Even my 1911, while high-end, is a quite simple, unadorned tool, a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. The SIG P229s I use for duty and most CC are similarly quite plain.

As for classes and range time, well, even one good day of force-on-force training can drastically alter how one looks at shooting, for a lifetime. Mere "range time" may only reinforce bad habits.

In short, you cannot buy competence that comes in a box or bag, and gadgets hung on a weapon cannot substitute for skill.

I dont want my shotgun to look "cool" im not playing swat team, My shotgun has been given numerous accessories to better my ability to protect my home. Now, the fact that the short barrel, light, pistol group, extended magazine, and barrel guard, plus to choke that has pointy things on it, Look good, is only an added bonus. make your shotgun a DEFENSIVE gun not a "Cool" gun.
    "The Beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

"When loss of liberty is looming, as it is now The siren sounds first in the hearts of freedoms vanguard"- Heston
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

I think yall are missing the point the OP asked how can he make his sottie look bad a** that could be anything from camo paint to a sling. It's like saying if i put new grips on my Kimber now it looks bad a**.

GOLD plate it and diamond encrust the sling.......
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

If you paint lines down the side of it, it will make you shoot faster. Seriously, it's been psycho-logically proven. Like racing stripes on a sports car.

Put an 18" barrel on it and load it w/ 00buck. That's all ya need.
    Last edited by 1911PKR; August 24th, 2009 at 09:03 AM.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

On my 870 Express (18 1/2" barrel), I've added a TacStar 4 shell side saddle. I've thought about a magazine tube, but I like being able to take the shotgun apart (easier to clean) and they get in the way. The side saddle also makes it easier to change ammo (Slugs to Shot) or vice versa. When sighting it in, I didn't actually load the magazine, I only put shells in the side saddle. That way I could set it down, without a shell in the chamber, but still have ammo handy.

I also added the TruGlo fiber optic sights. They don't glow in the dark, but much better than the original sights and cheaper than the glow in the dark variety.

In the future, I'd like to add a really nice light mount with 3 rails, Then some sort of LED light. LEDs take vibration better than standard lights, they are brighter and batteries last longer.

Here is the light mount I'm considering

Then maybe a sling. Thinking about a single point. There is an attachment that goes between the receiver and the stock, which adds a look for a standard single point sling. Click Here

I have this sling which doubles as a camera sling, similar to the R-Strap. You just need to make a D ring attachment that screws into the base of your camera. I did that here.

I'm not much for the pistol grip on a rifle. It will require a different way of handling, which would require relearning. Also, I like the wood. It seems to soak up body oils, so it doesn't get slippery.

I don't think I answered your question though, but then I believe the most bad ass thing you can add is wear marks...

Here's my HD 870 police magnum.

IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

How do you stay ready with a trigger lock?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links