New AR

New AR

This is a discussion on New AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last year, after being a confirmed 1911 guy for quite a while, I converted to Glock with the purchase of a Glock 19 (love that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New AR

New AR

Last year, after being a confirmed 1911 guy for quite a while, I converted to Glock with the purchase of a Glock 19 (love that gun, by the way).

Now (in my best James Earl Jones imitation) my journey to the dark side is complete.

I have just acquired my first AR-15 - a Rock River LAR-15 to be exact.

It's a basic AR-15 without any bells or whistles. I figure that I will leave it that way except I do plan to add an Eotech sight in the near future.

I would post pictures but I am technologically challenged. I guess I should have purchased a digital camera, too!!

My brother came up for a visit and a combatives class and we went to Virginia Arms where we picked up matching LAR-15's (ain't that sweet?).

The best part is that HE PAID FOR MINE!!!!! I think as big brothers go, he is about the best!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Welcome to the AR club. They really fun rifles to shot.

Enjoy
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Yes indeed, welcome to the dark side

As long as you resist the really, really dark part of the dark side (adding accessories), you're wallet will thank you.

If you keep a Midway or Brownell's catalog in your bathroom, you're AR is doomed to have more gadgets on it than a swiss army knife.

Congratulations on the purchase though

I'm looking at a stag arms tactical 2.

I just got back from the Range today.

I use an AR at work, but otherwise can't stand them. I own an AR, same make/model as what I use at work so that I can train on my own time.

Anyway, welcome to the bleak side. I don't like a lot of crap on my AR. Two of my buddies came over and I was looking at and handling their AR's. They weighed more than a Sharps 45-70. That's pretty heavy for an Infantry Rifle that one has to lug around all day.

No thanks, I'll keep mine simple please. My advice, for what it's worth:

1) Keep it "wet".
    2) Be very slow to make changes to you new AR.
    3) Learn to shoot your AR in it's factory "stock" form for at least a year.
    4) Keep it "wet".
    5) See #1 and #4 above.

Biker

That's great, what I would like to know is where do I get a brother like that!

I never thought I would get one, but now I'm really considering it. Anybody know what the availability is like? I'm busy doing research to see what I want (some of it on here). Of course, any suggestions would be welcome.

Welcome to the AR club PaulG.
    I have a Bushmaster AR with a 16in barrel
    telescopic stock, houge grip and forend.
    Cool your bro bought the gun for you.
    Guns make the best gifts dont they.

I love AR's I been assembling a few kits I ordered back in January,16" heavy barrel 6 pos buttstock,A3 upper KISS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Just finished building mine on Saturday. It was a year in the making. I guess we both have made the transition.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    As long as you resist the really, really dark part of the dark side (adding accessories), you're wallet will thank you.
    If the really, really dark side has to do with money spent... it ain't accessories - it's drooling over SPR, SBR, Recon, and Afgan builds by Noveske or G&RTactical... those guns will ensure that you're never done buying another rifle - no matter how many of your kids' college funds you burn through to get there!!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Quote Originally Posted by gumaro View Post
    That's great, what I would like to know is where do I get a brother like that!
    Not sure if they make them anymore.

He is 2 years older than me and has spent always looked after me. I think I might keep him around.

As far as "keeping it wet", that's what the guy at Virginia Arms said. He said that 99.9% of the malfunctions he has seen were the result of having a dry gun. I guess that's the down side. With my AK, I can drag it through the muck and still fire it ok.

MP45Man - at Virginia Arms, they had a wall full of 'em. Half the fun was having them take down a bunch of them for us to check out before making a decision. So it looks like there are plenty available.

We took ours to the range the day after we bought them and they were sweet. We only needed to adjust the sights slightly.

I guess the next stop should be a 50 caliber.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

An AR will run clean & dry, or dirty & wet... but NOT dirty & dry. But there's over-lubed as well. Don't listen to hear-say or everything you read on the internet. Follow the manufacturer's guidelines & enjoy "The Black Rifle Cult". (*And your next stop should NOT be a .50 cal, it should be a .338 Lapua ), Congrats on your AR!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Paul,
    Very Nice, After I pick up my new Ruger LCR this week I have set my sights(pun intended)on two deferent AR's One is the ROCK RIVER ENTRY TACTICAL A4 .223/5.56mm 16" W/CARRY and the other is a DPMS Panther AP4 Car. Miculek Comp

I have also read about "keeping them wet"

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    MP45Man - at Virginia Arms, they had a wall full of 'em. Half the fun was having them take down a bunch of them for us to check out before making a decision. So it looks like there are plenty available.
    Thanks, I'm stopping at a gun shop I frequent when I'm visiting a vendor I do business with tomorrow. Hopefully, they will have something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links