Need opinions on Mossberg 590A1 !

This is a discussion on Need opinions on Mossberg 590A1 ! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was thinking of getting a semi-auto shotgun for home defense but a law enforcement officer I know recommended the Mossberg 590A1 with a 6 ...

Thread: Need opinions on Mossberg 590A1 !

Need opinions on Mossberg 590A1 !

I was thinking of getting a semi-auto shotgun for home defense but a law enforcement officer I know recommended the Mossberg 590A1 with a 6 position adjustable tactical stock! This shotgun would be used by myself & my wife!

Here is a link to this Mossberg shotgun:

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Thank-you for all your opinions!
    Last edited by Sneaky; August 19th, 2009 at 09:19 AM.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Mossberg 500 with all the upgrades
    for home defense and use #4 buck loads. Think the 590A1 is a ok choice.
    Think pumps are more reliable but like the speed of autos. Also with pumps have heard of people getting in high stress situations and forgetting to pump
    when needed. However not sure that getting such a big gun for your family
    to use is the best option. A 20 gauge or 410 would be easier for your wife to operate, would have less weight, recoil, and lower over penetration risk but
    would still get the job done. Would also consider a taurus judge 410 pistol.
    Still a shotgun but no safeties and pumps to worry about under stress.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by J Bowen View Post
    I have a Mossberg 500 with all the upgrades
    for home defense and use #4 buck loads. Think the 590A1 is a ok choice.
    Think pumps are more reliable but like the speed of autos. Also with pumps have heard of people getting in high stress situations and forgetting to pump
    when needed. However not sure that getting such a big gun for your family
    to use is the best option. A 20 gauge or 410 would be easier for your wife to operate, would have less weight, recoil, and lower over penetration risk but
    would still get the job done. Would also consider a taurus judge 410 pistol.
    Still a shotgun but no safeties and pumps to worry about under stress.

I'm not looking to start a war here, but I don't agree much with the last post.

Pumps are more reliable, and you can forget to pump, but autos can and will fail to cycle if not firmly mounted, same as a pistol will. It doesnt happen often with a quality auto, but it does happen often enough for that to be a consideration. IMO, it washes out the "speed" factor.

A 20 or 410 is lighter, built on a lighter gun. But, the power factors are the same. The only difference is the size of load delivered. So, you may be shooting a lighter load, but the size of the gun washes out any recoil advantage of having the lighter load. The only penetration difference with the different guages matters when talking slugs. #4, 7, 6's or 00 are the same no matter the guage. The difference is in the numbers hurled down the tube. If you are worried about penetration issues, slugs are out of the question anyway. With proper training and knowledge, the smallest of people can shoot a 12ga with no problems. I have a 10 year old do so now, it just isnt as hard as people make it out to be. So why limit yourself with poor SD ammo selection?

Also, comparing a Judge to a combat shotgun is apples and oranges.

To answer the question asked, the 590 is a solid choice.

Sorry about the rant... Good Day!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    The 590 is an excellent choice, the multi position stock is a if family members are of different statues (shorter gun for a shorter person).

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    More like comparing Apples to grapes
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have a 590A1 with the speedfeed stock. It is a great gun and the recoil is easily handled. My sister and girlfriend have both fired it and commented the recoil wasn't as bad as they thought it would be. They were both very accurate with it and even shot 3 inch magnum loads (although they didn't like them). With regular 2 3/4 loads, especially the federal reduced recoil it is a good option for home defense and easily handled by females.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I have pictures of my 590A1 here (post #7) along with the reasons why I like it.

The only thing I would add is a mounted Surefire Tac Light and I plan on getting a Hogue Overmolded Stock with a shorter length of pull.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I Loved Mine

It was mechanically very fine and shot very well. I also liked the 9 round capacity. However, I just upgraded to an SPX and love it even more. The only problem with a pump shot gun is that it is difficult to cycle them from a prone position.

I have a Mossberg 590 persuader with the heatshield, bayonet lug, speedfeed stock, and I also mounted a Tac-Star sidesaddle on it. I love it, but as much as I'd like to change the stock to a pistol grip with full stock, I just can't bring myself to do it as it would make the safety next to impossible to activate without taking my hand off the pistol grip.

Basically, it makes the safety as accessible as the safety on an AK, just not very convienent at all.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

My opinion of the 590A1:

I want one.

I ordered one.

After 6 months of not coming in, I took back my deposit and bought another handgun.

I'm a dumbarse. Should have bought the 590. It came in a few weeks after I took my deposit back.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I really like M'berg shotguns in general; I have one dedicated as a slug gun for deer. I also have a 590, the only regret I have is that I did not get the ghost ring sights.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not looking to start a war here, but I don't agree much with the last post.

Pumps are more reliable, and you can forget to pump, but autos can and will fail to cycle if not firmly mounted, same as a pistol will. It doesnt happen often with a quality auto, but it does happen often enough for that to be a consideration. IMO, it washes out the "speed" factor.

A 20 or 410 is lighter, built on a lighter gun. But, the power factors are the same. The only difference is the size of load delivered. So, you may be shooting a lighter load, but the size of the gun washes out any recoil advantage of having the lighter load. The only penetration difference with the different guages matters when talking slugs. #4, 7, 6's or 00 are the same no matter the guage. The difference is in the numbers hurled down the tube. If you are worried about penetration issues, slugs are out of the question anyway. With proper training and knowledge, the smallest of people can shoot a 12ga with no problems. I have a 10 year old do so now, it just isnt as hard as people make it out to be. So why limit yourself with poor SD ammo selection?

To answer the question asked, the 590 is a solid choice.

Sorry about the rant... Good Day!
    Sixto, I have to agree with everything you've said. I would gladly take a pump in a high stress situation than an auto that isn't cycling. My wife is about 5'3" and 130lbs soaking wet and she can handle a my Mossy 500 12 ga just fine. We have #4 buckshot loaded in ours b/c we live in an apt. I don't want a slug going through 3 units and potentially killing an innocent person.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Dont get me wrong I think a 12ga is a great
    gun for home defense like I stated I have a Moss
    500 but for some people I think it is worth considering
    different options for HD depening on a lot of different factors.
    I have let people try out my Moss 500 because they were thinking
    of getting one and after shooting it decided it was not for them and
    got something else they felt more comfortable with.
    For instance if someone is only going to have one firearm around
    the house I think it should be something that is small enough to
    carry around not a big military 12 ga shotgun

Mine isnt an A1, but its stilla 590.

I love it 100%. Buy one.

Links