First Day at the Range with SPX

This is a discussion on First Day at the Range with SPX within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Took my Mossy SPX to the range today and sighted it in at 75 Yards. Blue Trails does not allow anything closer for long guns ...

Thread: First Day at the Range with SPX

First Day at the Range with SPX

Took my Mossy SPX to the range today and sighted it in at 75 Yards. Blue Trails does not allow anything closer for long guns (they're afraid the rounds will bounce over the berm). The shotgun performed perfectly with 2 1/2 and 3 inch, magnum, self defense and low recoil rounds (Federal, Winchester, etc.).

It took some time to sight in the gun because the sights came from the factory set high. Once sighted in, it was extremely accurate at 75 yards. I'll have to re-zero it at another range for 25 feet for home defense.

Once problem with the gun: the magazine tube was screwed in so tight when I got back I couldn't break the gun down to clean it -- even with vice grips -- and I had to take it back to Hoffman's where they did it. They oiled the threads, etc., and it seems to be fine, but I'm concerned that it will be a chronic problem. Vibration at the range? Anybody else had this problem?

Otherwise I'm completely happy with the shotgun and feel very secure with it as a home defense weapon. I'm using number 4 shot for home defense because I don't want to shoot my neighbors should I ever have to confront an intruder.

I'm interested in tips from other SPX owners about maintenance, problems I'm likely to encounter, etc. etc.

2. Remove Ads

I feel like i remember reading that the 930s magazine tube isn't meant to be taken off for every cleaning, and that it's loc-tited in place. Don't take this as a fact though.

Quote Originally Posted by ellerblr View Post
    I feel like i remember reading that the 930s magazine tube isn't meant to be taken off for every cleaning, and that it's loc-tited in place. Don't take this as a fact though.
    Yikes. No mention of this in the manual.

Links