Magnum & Standard Buckshot Loads Obsolete??

This is a discussion on Magnum & Standard Buckshot Loads Obsolete?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; From everything that I read, the performance of low recoil 00 ammo is equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ...

Thread: Magnum & Standard Buckshot Loads Obsolete??

From everything that I read, the performance of low recoil 00 ammo is equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ammo. If this is true then doesn't it make good sense then to manufacture and sell the low recoil ammo only? Think about it seriously, if there is no significant advantage in shooting standard or magnum loads over the low recoil, why would anyone want to shoot them? For the pure pleasure of the higher or excessive shoulder pounding recoil?

Winchester WinLite Low Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets
    Muzzle velocity: 1125 fps

Winchester Supreme High Velocity Magnum Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Copper Plated Buckshot 9 Pellets
    Muzzle Velocity: 1450 fps
    Fiocchi Reduced Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 9 Nickel Plated Pellets
    Muzzle Velocity: 1150 fps

Fiocchi Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 00 Buckshot 9 Nickel Plated Pellets
    Muzzle Velocity: 1325 fps
    Federal Power-Shok Low Recoil Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Buckshot 9 Pellets
    Muzzle Velocity: 1140 fps

Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" Buffered 00 Buckshot 12 Pellets
    Muzzle Velocity: 1290 fps
    With velocity numbers running from 150 fps to over 300 fps faster for magnum ammo, I can't accept that the low recoil ammo is "equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ammo". I'm not saying it won't work and in some situations such as in an apartment building where penetration of a miss is important, they may be a better choice, but they are never going to have the same impact as a magnum load. In the Winchester loads above, the difference in energy is over 1600 ft. lbs. That's a bunch of difference.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    With velocity numbers running from 150 fps to over 300 fps faster for magnum ammo, I can't accept that the low recoil ammo is "equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ammo". I'm not saying it won't work and in some situations such as in an apartment building where penetration of a miss is important, they may be a better choice, but they are never going to have the same impact as a magnum load. In the Winchester loads above, the difference in energy is over 1600 ft. lbs. That's a bunch of difference.

Hoss
    I agree with you completely. I've always felt the bigger the payload and the harder it hits, the better. My point is that it's so rare to read any article that will support what we agree on since the low recoil has been introduced, especially when it comes down to self defense. I can understand the apartment building scenario, but that's it.

I guess I wouldnt be jumping to conclusions on this issue. Standard 00 will still be used in hunting. It seems that if you crunch the numbers the standard 00 does have a significant energy advantage but still for a home defense situation I am going to stoke with low recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart View Post
    From everything that I read, the performance of low recoil 00 ammo is equal to, or even better, than that of the standard and magnum ammo. If this is true then doesn't it make good sense then to manufacture and sell the low recoil ammo only? Think about it seriously, if there is no significant advantage in shooting standard or magnum loads over the low recoil, why would anyone want to shoot them? For the pure pleasure of the higher or excessive shoulder pounding recoil?
    Well, for one thing some autos have reliability issues with Low-Recoil ammo. My Benelli M1S90 shoots them fine, but a freinds 11-87 chokes on them.

I've also found the "standard" velocity (red hull) Hornady TAP to pattern better than the FED LR in my gun.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

What would you rather get hit with,avolkswagen,or a mack truck
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    What would you rather get hit with,avolkswagen,or a mack truck
    Id rather not get hit by either, but if I had to choose it would be a Volkswagen. Mack trucks are scary.
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Guys, it is BUCKshot. True, some guys are termed "young bucks," but generally speaking, buck means something with four legs. Antipersonnel usage is just one reason folks buy buckshot.

Moreover, those round balls lose velocity fast. For situations where "area fire" may be necessary, or at longer range, one may want to launch those lead balls at a bit higher velocity. I like to keep a few standard-velocity buckshot shells handy when on police patrol, just as I like to have a few slugs handy, too, though I generally keep Remington 8-pellet shells in the magazine tube. Just to be clear, I don't regard "area fire" as something generally desirable for police patrol, unless perhaps terrorists tried to hit something in my area, and there were no citizens anywhere near the line of fire. (Don't laugh; my beat contains an Israeli Consulate, other consulates, a water chlorination plant, a very important rail line, a major highway intersection, upscale hotels, and an upscale internationally-known mall and more upscale hotels are within a block of my beat. Mumbai could come to Texas; it would be silly to remain complacent.)

Sponsored Links