Help: Problem With Parkerized Finish on Mossy

This is a discussion on Help: Problem With Parkerized Finish on Mossy within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When I got my SPX last week I had a problem with getting the magazine tube off for an initial cleaning. This was the beginning ...

Thread: Help: Problem With Parkerized Finish on Mossy

When I got my SPX last week I had a problem with getting the magazine tube off for an initial cleaning. This was the beginning of a problem that just kept getting worse.

I called Mossberg and asked to speak to a tech or an armorer. The person on the phone asked me why and I attempted to explain it to her. It was really not a difficult thing to explain: CAN'T GET MAGAZINE TUBE OFF. She put me on hold for a while and then came back and asked me a question which let me know she'd got it wrong. After two or three back and forths like this, getting put on hold two or three times, she comes back and tells me I have to take it back to the place I got it.

I took it back to Hoffman's in Wethersfield and one of the salesmen took it in the back and managed to get the magazine tube unscrewed with considerable difficulty. I then asked him if it was possible to put some paint in the screw piece because it had been scratched in the process. This he did, and when I left the store, it looked pretty good.

This morning I took the shotgun out of the cabinet and the place where he had painted is the color of rust. Now, I should have known what Parkerizing was and that it would not accept paint. I didn't. Neither did the guy at the gun store.

So, what I need to know is how I get the rusty color off the shotgun and restore it. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you want it Parkerized? Most gunsmiths can do that. Or you can send it back to the company that made it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Do you want it Parkerized? Most gunsmiths can do that. Or you can send it back to the company that made it.
    I'll probably go to a local gunsmith.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    When I got my SPX last week I had a problem with getting the magazine tube off for an initial cleaning. This was the beginning of a problem that just kept getting worse.
    I called Mossberg and asked to speak to a tech or an armorer. The person on the phone asked me why and I attempted to explain it to her. It was really not a difficult thing to explain: CAN'T GET MAGAZINE TUBE OFF. She put me on hold for a while and then came back and asked me a question which let me know she'd got it wrong. After two or three back and forths like this, getting put on hold two or three times, she comes back and tells me I have to take it back to the place I got it.
    I took it back to Hoffman's in Wethersfield and one of the salesmen took it in the back and managed to get the magazine tube unscrewed with considerable difficulty. I then asked him if it was possible to put some paint in the screw piece because it had been scratched in the process. This he did, and when I left the store, it looked pretty good.
    This morning I took the shotgun out of the cabinet and the place where he had painted is the color of rust. Now, I should have known what Parkerizing was and that it would not accept paint. I didn't. Neither did the guy at the gun store.
    So, what I need to know is how I get the rusty color off the shotgun and restore it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Moisture probably was trapped under the paint.

Unless it's a HUGE spot just steel wool it and use touchup blue,
    then keep some oil on it.

(Parkerizing is worthless unless you let it soak up a lot of oil. )

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually there are bake on finishes that give pretty good results. Check with Brownells. I have parkerized several guns and typically it requires the entire weapon to be stripped and refinished for a uniform appearance. I haven't heard of touch up parkerizing, maybe it can be done???
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

It can be made better than new with a non rust bake on finish. I can fix you up.

GC

You might look at dura-coat (Lauer Weaponry Online Order Center). I have done a few of my handguns, rifles and shotguns. It holds up pretty well, plus I like the fact that I can strip it and change the color/camo with a few days for whatever I need or what.
    Semper Fi

Sponsored Links