Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Stock-500 Mossy

This is a discussion on Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Stock-500 Mossy within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would like to know if the Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Stock is as good as advertised. Most of my shooting will be (2-3/4 in.) 00 ...

Thread: Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Stock-500 Mossy

Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Stock-500 Mossy

I would like to know if the Knoxx SpecOps Recoil Stock is as good as advertised. Most of my shooting will be (2-3/4 in.) 00 buck standard loads. I also like to shoot MAGNUMS every so often. Any input will be appreciated. (500 persuader-20 in.barrel)

2. Remove Ads

I fired a friend's and it did indeed reduce the recoil a lot. I could not put a number or percent of reduction on it, but it made a big difference in an afternoon of shooting clays, blasting steel targets and such. He was firing it like a handgun at one point with no problems. The one we had was a wire folding stock and I had assumed the small area of the butt would make for a lot of recoil, but it did not.

I added a $15 slip-on rubber recoil pad to my Rem 870 - works great, and way cheaper than the Knoxx. It does add about 1" to the length of the butt stock, but that hasn't been an issue for me. I've run 4 consecutive rounds of trap (100 shells) without even a hint of a bruise while wearing nothing but a t-shirt.

Plus, I've read that the Knoxx stock can "bite" your cheek as it recoils back and forth - but I have no personal experience with it to verify that report. FWIW.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    It might help a little, but learning to mount a shotgun properly is a lot more cost effective.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have one on my 870 and not worth the money at $100.00+, $50-60.00 would be a good deal.

Positives = adjustable LOP (can set it to make my 18" 870 handle well inside the house, I set it the same length as my standard AR-15 A2's), 2 sling attachment points, extra rounds on board that you can reach without taking your eyes off the threat with a little practice, easy to install and stays tight.

Negatives = Only a couple of inches for cheek weld, if your face is outside that "spot" you get slapped soundly.
    If it reduces felt recoil more than 5% I would be surprised. Again, not worth it for that much money.

You would be better served to back fill your butt stock (if its hollow) with Great Stuff, install a Limb Saver recoil pad, Houge Overmold short forearm (this will ensure the sling does not get caught in the action bars) and buy a hundred rounds of Federal or W-W Ranger .00 Buck reduced recoil (1200 fps VS 1345) for self defense rounds.

I have one on my Mossberg 500 18 incher. I absolutely love it. Recoil reduction made a huge difference in my opinion. Totally worth the money for that reason. Short LOP is really nice, helps the shotty fit where I need it. Only complaint is the cheek slap. If you aren't careful about where you rest that cheek, the next day you'll have a nice bruise. ;)

(It helps add macho back to the idea that you are using a recoil reducing stock.) <- Note: total sarcasm.

Is there a difference in the size of the OEM recoil pad on the Mossberg stock than that of the pad on the Knoxx stock? (width & length)

Quote Originally Posted by bart View Post
    is there a difference in the size of the oem recoil pad on the mossberg stock than that of the pad on the knoxx stock? (width & length)
    NEVER MIND, I just found out, it's the same.

I have the Specops stock on my Mossberg 500 and took it to my hand gun qualification for the Sheriff's Deptartment. I passed it around and everyone was impressed with the recoil reduction. I'd say it was worth the money.

EDIT:

I think that it should be noted, however, that the Specops Stock makes it more difficult to reach the slide release on the Mossbergs. That is my only complaint about the stock.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I had a 500, a great gun to carry in the bush, but it really kicks. I would not use one without the Knoxx stock. I have them on my 590 and my Grizzly' RDEP is correct the Mossberg controls are harder to use with any pistol grip.

I had the Knoxx SpecOps Stock delivered yesterday, installed it today and went for a test shoot. I was amazed to say the least. The performance was more than I expected. I shot both standard and magnum 00 buck without the slightest bit of pain or discomfort. After today I wouldn't even think about shooting a 12 ga. without a Knoxx Stock, best money I ever spent. Thanks to everyone who recommended the Knoxx SpecOps Stock.

Here's a pic of my Mossberg with Knoxx SpecOps Stock.

VIP Member
    Nice.

Wiping the drool....

Links