John C. Garand Match today...

This is a discussion on John C. Garand Match today... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I shot a Garand match at the Colorado Rife Club near Byers, CO today. As always, it was a total HOOT! If you are at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

I shot a Garand match at the Colorado Rife Club near Byers, CO today. As always, it was a total HOOT!

If you are at all interested in shooting high-power rifle matches, Garand matches are THE way to break into the game. All the ones I've shot have been no pressure/all fun, and everyone there is willing to help newcomers learn the ropes. They even loan M1 rifles to those unfortunate enough not to own one of the finest firearms ever made

The wind was a bit of a challenge today...gusting to 50 mph in the afternoon. I didn't realize how much the wind could move your rifle, even shooting from the prone position supported with a sling!

I managed to score a 269 with 1 X-ring shot (out of a possible 300)...not my best effort, but good enough for 6th place with 56 shooters.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Sounds like fun except i Dont have a garand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Any U.S. Military Rifle (pre-M14) will be accepted...I've seen lots of Springfield 03's, and even 1941 Johnson, Krag-Jorgenson, and M1 Carbines (a young lady shot a 266 today with a Carbine )...a fellow used a BAR last year

But, the question is: why don't you own a Garand?

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Guess what i don't own any of them either..

reason why is i haven't seen one in good enough shape i will pay the outrageous prices for i want one though

I've got a Garand and you are sooooooo right! It's a hoot to shoot!!! Hope to be in the match at Camp Perry this year. I've never done it before! Great shootin friend!!! Keep em at 1 O'clock!!! Gunsavey
    1. Dum spiramus tuebimur -"While we breath, we shall defend"

M-1 Garand

Guess what i don't own any of them either..

reason why is i haven't seen one in good enough shape i will pay the outrageous prices for i want one though
    Try odcmp.cpm Bud.....get a greek service grade for around 550.00.... That's where I bout mine and am really pleased with it!! It's gonna have some wear,..but mostly in great shape. Whole lot of history in em!! Have a good one,... Gunsavey

oops!!! it's odcmp.com....

Quote Originally Posted by gunsavey
    Try odcmp.cpm Bud.....get a greek service grade for around 550.00.... That's where I bout mine and am really pleased with it!! It's gonna have some wear,..but mostly in great shape. Whole lot of history in em!! Have a good one,... Gunsavey

VIP Member
    Garands are about as cheap as they're ever going to get right now...the reason the prices are low now is due to the Civilian Marksmanship program selling off U.S. Military inventories at a fast pace. Prices will go up when the inventories are sold off...CMP estimates that will happen in the next 2 years or so.

One of the best benefits of shooting in a sanctioned Garand Match (beside the fun) is, upon completion of the match, and no matter what your score was, you recieve a certificate that entitles you to purchase Garands from the CMP. It only cost me $20 to enter this match, and they provided the ammo (plus I won a nice t-shirt )

Your best strategy to get a really good rifle cheaply would be this:
    buy a "rack grade" rifle from CMP (I just checked their site: rack grade without wood $295, but doesn't come with buttplate or barrel bands and screws...with wood $350), get it rebarreled and re-parkerized, and a new Boyd's stock set (about $100), and you would have a top grade rifle.

You are absolutely right! We only have three Garand Matches a year at our club, and one was yesterday (Sunday). It is a wonderful match to shoot, everyone is helpful and supportive of new shooters, and there is always a rifle to borrow... one club member has about 10 Garands - the back of his SUV is like the armory. I bring both mine so I can lend one or maybe both (we shoot in two relays so someone could shoot mine when I'm in the pits pulling targets).

Every time the Garand Match comes around, I post on at least a couple of forums inviting anyone near Houston to come out. So far, no one has. A couple of people from work have, and they truly had fun!

My standing scores are hideous but I'm happy with prone and sitting. So - bad standing scores only mean go to the range and practice standing, right?

Glad you had fun!

Bud - the advice they're giving is correct. Once you shoot your CMP Garand you will be really happy you didn't wait any longer.

Regards,
    Andrew
    Retractable claws... the original concealed carry
    http://www.bayourifles.org

Way to go! I have'nt had the opportunity to shoot a match in a long time. You should be proud of your score there TeamAmerica.Can you see the green envy on me?
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Servicemembers, active or retired, don't have to shoot in a qualifying match or belong to a CMP affiliated club.

I've decided that I'm going to buy a CMP rifle for my next firearm purchase. What's the minimum grade you can buy and still have a servicable rifle?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Assistant Administrator
    Rick - hey 269 is a far from shabby result - in particular considering your described conditions.

I have a great affection for the Garand action but sadly my only ''specimen'' is my Mini-14. I have hankered after an M1 for a long time - and have shot them too - maybe one day i will find one when I have the cash.

Trouble is, always some handgun or other ''gets in the way'' LOL!

Glad you had such a fun time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    tanksoldier, this link is the CMP rifle sales page: http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm#Field

CMP grades their rifles based on throat erosion. For your needs, there are basically two choices: "service grade" and "field grade".
    Service grade rifles have a TE less than 5, and right now there is a 90-120 day wait for a Springfield rifle ($500).

The field grade rifles have a slightly higher throat erosion reading, but are still considered "ready for issue"...these appear to be the rifles that were returned from duty in Greece, and are available now for $395. I hear that the stocks on the majority of Greek returns are trashed, but you never know what you are going to get until you open the shipping box.

One trick I've learned about ordering CMP Garands (and I've bought 6 of them ) is this: when you submit your paperwork, attach a yellow sticky note with a politely worded request for a good shooter...
    something to the effect of "I'm tired of getting my rear kicked at the rifle matches and would like to get the best condition barrel or highest serial number rifle available." The last rifle I purchased had both...excellent barrel and very high serial number (the theory being that the rifle probably didn't see too much action or handling by clumsy recruits )

The CMP receives crates from Army depots with 50 rifles in each crate. They go through them 1 crate at a time and fill purchase requests in the order received...so you never know what might turn up

Good luck!

VIP Member
    Thanks, Chris...I was pretty happy with my score, considering that the wind was making my eyes water so badly I had a hard time focusing on the front sight ( excuse #17).

But, it's more about having fun than cut-throat competition for me

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - well Rick - now you mention it, excuse #17 is actually one I have encountered a good many times.

It is a long while since I shot longe range rifle but in the old days I do think I had more problems at times with over zealous lacrimals then keeping the gun steady!!!

Now I am gettin' on in years i find the problem worse - even including say a windy day at IDPA shooting - wind tears can become tears of frustration
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links