Do I really "need" my AR-15?

This is a discussion on Do I really "need" my AR-15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm sitting here wondering if I really need my AR-15. I live in a city, I can't afford to buy ammo for it, it ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I really "need" my AR-15?

Question Do I really "need" my AR-15?

So I'm sitting here wondering if I really need my AR-15. I live in a city, I can't afford to buy ammo for it, it doesn't appear there are any plans to ban them any time soon, and I could really use the money for other things. I could probably get about $750 for it if I sell it. I could do so many things with that money that would be much more useful to me. These things include getting a better reloading setup, being able to reload more calibers, buying ammo that I actually shoot, buying a new gun or two (could really use a new 1911), and the list could keep going. So really, do I need this AR-15 for any other reason than just to say that I have one? I can't hunt with it, I wouldn't use it for home defense, and I don't have the money to shoot it at the range.

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    You really don't need any guns that's what the police are for ... LOL. Seriously though, I would never exchange a firearm for ammo: "my brother is so dumb he sold his truck to get gas money" Larry. In general I would say that a lot of my firearms are not because I need them; aside from hunting and carry guns (of which some are redundant) the rest are really for fun. I am starting 3-gun so now I have a "need" for my 590 and one AR.

Edit: The quote is Larry the Cable Guy, not a jab at the OP, more of a commentary on the idea of trading, just be careful in your choices.
    Last edited by bbqgrill; August 27th, 2009 at 12:18 PM. Reason: clarification
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I don't plan do buy ammo buy selling the AR, if anything I would buy a new gun. I also have guns because they are fun to shoot, not because I need them all. I thought the AR would be fun to shoot too, but it really isn't for me. I'm active duty and have shot many a M-16 full auto. That was pretty fun, but I wasn't directly paying for the ammo either. I was thinking about selling the AR and buying something that would be fun and cheaper to shoot, like another 1911 or another .22. I already have a long range rifle (30-06), two 22's, 2 1911's, and a 12ga, so I'm pretty well rounded right now.

Sounds like you got a plan
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    The one thing that I have noticed is that gun owners quite regularly get seller's remorse after selling a gun. So the question I would ask you is will you regret it in a year?
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

All I can add to it - no, at this point you don't really need it. BUT,... I wouldn't recommend selling it either. I have thought about selling some guns in the past when money was tight, but I'm very thankful I didn't. I feel you would regret it if you did sell it. Also, stocking up ammo for weapon's like that is a good thing. If SHTF like predicted, you'll be glad you have it for sure. You cannot put a 30-40 round mag in your 30-06,..
    Last edited by TucAzRider; August 27th, 2009 at 03:06 PM.

I have never sold a gun that I did not regret later .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

Well, it's all about priorities... The nice thing about guns is their value for resale.

I'm no one to ask because I acquire guns, I don't get rid of them once I get one.

My criteria for selling a gun would be to feed my family, and I'm not at that point yet. However we all have priorities and I would certainly understand your reason for getting rid of the AR.

What I will say is that we are living in dangerous times... the likes of which I have never seen before! This is a scary administration trying to gain total control over peoples lives and it is very uncertain how all this is going to play out.

There are a lot of people who just don't believe we have anything to worry about. That the USA is not at risk of losing the liberty it was founded on. And there are a lot who are just going to go along and "do what they are told."

But I gotta say, on the flip side, there are a lot of people who see us on the brink of losing everything this country stood for and many of them have seen fascism up close and personal and know the signs.

I'm keeping my guns!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have experienced sellers remorse (sold an XD 45), but I try to avoid it by waiting at least 6 months before deciding to sell a gun. Lets put it this way, I had 120 rounds of .223 when I bought the gun a year ago, now I have 40. The only times I've shot it were sighting it in and I let a young shooter take a few shots with it at a milk jug.

No, but that is what's great about being an American! You have the luxury of letting your wants dictate what you own, not just your needs. Think hard before you sell, but if you decide you want to trade it off for different toys or strait cash, that's good to. I know ammo has been extremely tight for them lately. Hard choice.

Thinking about it, need is an interesting thing, I think I have only ever bought 1 gun (hunting rifle) that I needed, the rest I just wanted. And even then I didn't really need it, I could have used a $96 mosin nagant or something.

Instead of a AR15 ,I picked up a Beretta CX4 Storm in
    .45 cal because in an urban SHTF type deal ,I don't feel I need
    a .223 because it will shoot thrugh too many walls and hurt the
    wrong people.
    I feel I would be dealing with louters and thugs, not military types
    Plus I can shoot it in an indoor range because its not a rifle
    round
    You may look into one of those instead of your AR.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I wouldn't sell it. It will be at the top of the list when and if they try to ban them. The chances of you being able to buy a shotgun 5 years from now are probably going to be much better than trying to buy an AR.

I wouldn't sell it.

Joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

I too bought an AR about a year ago, and also a bunch of ammo as well.
    Like the OP, I don't really need one. Not today I hope, but,you never know if your area will experience a New Orleans style disaster where you see a total breakdown of law and order.

If you have a choice, hang on to it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

What about a 22LR conversion for your AR15? That way you can afford to shoot it more, and can use any indoor range.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I like the 22lr conversion idea.

I don't shoot my AR much (too expensive!), but for civil unrest nothing will keep the mob at bay like an AR in a front sling. God forbid that ever happens, but you never know...and having 4 or 5 mags full and ready with a couple hundred yards of effective range is a mighty handy tool in the event of a crazy emergency.

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat? :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links