Corroded barrel....messed up?

This is a discussion on Corroded barrel....messed up? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; SO I picked up a 91/30 Nagant today. What I want to know is how can I be sure that the barrel isn't corroded? What ...

Thread: Corroded barrel....messed up?

Corroded barrel....messed up?

SO I picked up a 91/30 Nagant today. What I want to know is how can I be sure that the barrel isn't corroded? What do I look for?

I've been cleaning and there isn't as much dark junk coming out of it any more and it's allot easier to run the brush through....got allot smoother. Been shining a light through and it looks clean...thread is solid all the way...but the barrel isn't a mirror type of shine but it shines.

Just a bit worried...paranoid that some previous owner didn't clean it good after a shooting with the corrosive ammo.

Advice?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Frogbones; August 30th, 2009 at 01:35 AM.

2. Remove Ads

Also noticed this.....this doesn't look good at all.

check it!!

Is that dangerous?

Should I get a new barrel? or what????

I got this really cheap though.... so not a big hit to the wallet. I could just hang it on the wall.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Take it to a gunsmith to double check the damage. I can't tell from the pic if thats surface rust or what.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

It's missing a piece on the right edge of the chamber/battery area...Like it broke off or something. The lighting wasn't to good where I got it from and missed it upon checking it .

Better pic.

Just looks bad....but is it really bad? I dunno I would think thats a no go for shooting...maybe even chambering.

Heck for the price I got it for, I could go get another and just use this for extra parts...you know?

What ya think?

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Gunsmith, take it in have them take a look see what they say.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

That's corrosion for sure; look at the surface exposed where the metal was lost. I'm assuming you won't be firing this gun any time soon. Best to get it looked at, and if you want a shooting gun, it might take some repair or barrel replacement.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    That chamber is definitely unsupported. Firing it might cause a rupture. Time for barrel replacement.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

If it was me, I would make a parts gun from it and buy another 91/30. Buying another is mosy likely going to be cheaper than replacing the barrel on this one.
    Semper Fi

In a lot of those, the barrel can be set back and rechambered. Still a gunsmith decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    It's missing a piece on the right edge of the chamber/battery area...Like it broke off or something. The lighting wasn't to good where I got it from and missed it upon checking it .

Better pic.

Just looks bad....but is it really bad? I dunno I would think thats a no go for shooting...maybe even chambering.

Heck for the price I got it for, I could go get another and just use this for extra parts...you know?

What ya think?
    The chamber is not broken all Mosin Nagant have that cutout, as for the barrel if it is clean try shooting to see how accurate it is with different bullet weights, You can also slug the bore to check bore size. go to 7.62x54r.net and look for instructions and it has allot of good info on the Nagant rifles.

OMG!! Thanks so much. You are right that area of the chamber was cut on purpose. Thanks so much for that info to that sight.

Here is a pic lnk to the same deal: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/receiver551d.jpg , http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/receiver501c.jpg , http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/BarrelThread02.JPG

same type of cut cut and everything. Mine iwas made in 1943 and that's when they started to machine out that notch on the right rear.....so glad I learned that.

The bore is really clean now after having it set in a cleaner and scrubbed for about 2hrs. The thread is very visible and shines to...not mirror, but it shines.

I knew posting it here on DC would help me out, such a heck of a knowledge base...wealth of info.
    Last edited by Frogbones; August 30th, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: bit of spell checkin.

Links