AR-15 Recommendations and why? - Page 2

AR-15 Recommendations and why?

This is a discussion on AR-15 Recommendations and why? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased my first AR and I wanted something that was built with quality parts and ready to rock right out of the box. ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Recommendations and why?

I just purchased my first AR and I wanted something that was built with quality parts and ready to rock right out of the box. This is what I ended up with....

DDM4

DDM4.COM - Daniel Defense M4 Carbine

very light, nicely built rifle. It fit my needs and the price was right. Now that I have one to shoot, I can take my time building another one myself. Most likely a SBR.

I'm now hunting for optics.. (or should I say , saving up for? ) freakin optics cost as much as the gun! ugh.

I bought a DPMS a few months ago and I'm very happy with my purchase. No jams, no feeding issues and very accurate. I'm able to place tight groups with my iron sights at 100 yards. And mine cost a fraction of the price of my friends' ARs.
    Whatever you decide to get just remember to always run the bolt wet.

Nice looking gun! Trust8383
    I like the houge replacement grip
    for the ARs. try it out cheap upgrade.

VIP Member
    I am with the belief that AR's are parts guns. While I think Colt is a good brand, most are way overpriced compared to other top tier manufacturers.

I personally like to mix and match parts. I love my Spike's lower and have looked at many other brands. They are just nice and are well made. Here is an example of a new one that was just finished.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1290690

To me you can't go too wrong with the major brands if you know what you want and what to buy.

Examples

Daniel Defense
    Stag
    Spike's
    Rock River
    DPMS
    Armalite
    S&W
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I recently purchased a Daniel Defense lower and upper for an SBR build. I'm really impressed by the workmanship.

The lower mates with my Colt upper better than my Colt lower does! I also really like the flared magwell.

Aesthetically, I like that the "roll mark" is milled instead of stamped and it has "FIRE" and "SAFE" engraved on the right side. There were a few blemishes but nothing major and I've already added quite a few more. :)

If I was going to buy a new complete rifle today, it'd probably be one from Daniel Defense. If you want a KISS, Colt 6920 style rifle, the DDXV is an excellent alternative. It has their slick iron sight instead of a carry handle. In this way, it is ready for an optic:

Daniel Defense, Inc | Browse | Rifles | DDXV

But I spent a lot of money to turn a Colt 6920 into something that looks a lot like the Daniel Defense M4:

Daniel Defense, Inc | Browse | Rifles | M4 Carbine

Both are super reasonably priced. IMHO, Daniel Defense gives the best QUALITY:PRICE ratio at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    I just purchased my first AR and I wanted something that was built with quality parts and ready to rock right out of the box. This is what I ended up with....

DDM4

DDM4.COM - Daniel Defense M4 Carbine

very light, nicely built rifle. It fit my needs and the price was right. Now that I have one to shoot, I can take my time building another one myself. Most likely a SBR.

I'm now hunting for optics.. (or should I say , saving up for? ) freakin optics cost as much as the gun! ugh.

If you don't mind, what did you end up paying for your DDM4? I see the price at the web site (pic below). Did you get some off that price?

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    It's $150 cheaper here:

Daniel Defense 16" M4 at G&R Tactical
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I have one complete DPMS rifle and one 24" bull barrel DPMS upper on a Colt H-Bar lower and I wouldn't trade either of the DPMS guns for anything. They have been absolutely flawless. In fact based on performance and especially accuracy, I'd take the DPMS over the Colt.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    All AR15's are "parts guns" meaning that even Colt buys their parts from another vendor. I do not believe that Colt manufactures anything.
    Interesting, that would probably come as quite a shock to those folks I saw machining M4 parts when I was fortunate enough to tour the plant in back in 2007. Have you been thru the plant recently, maybe things have changed?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Interesting, that would probably come as quite a shock to those folks I saw machining M4 parts when I was fortunate enough to tour the plant in back in 2007. Have you been thru the plant recently, maybe things have changed?
    Doubtful, this same piece of information (parts is parts - even Colt doesn't make anything) has been around for years - it's what I was told before I got into ARs when I would say I was thinking of picking up a Colt...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

OD*
    Yep, just like the "Colt doesn't make guns for civilians anymore."

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Maybe they do make parts. /shrug
    I presumed that if they are purchasing parts, they wouldn't need too. My bad.
    You still pay for a name though. It all things, not just firearms. To each his own.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    You still pay for a name though.
    In your opinion, it's just one I don't happen to share.

VIP Member
    Hi,

I forgot to mention, there are usually two camps with in AR lovers, Handles and Flat Tops. I personally can't stand handles as they tend to get in the way of all the goodies. *Note there are models that the handles can be removed. By the way, liking flat tops is just my own preference as there is nothing wrong with old school handles.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

DPMS is what a lot of 3-gun shooters use (including me); while I don't shoot 3 gun anymore, you can always check with guys that do. If anyone knows what runs and holds up in the heat of competition, its the 3-gun guys....

As for me, DPMS Sportical, with a 6.8SPC top end as a spare; That just about covers anything I run into.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links