AR-15 Recommendations and why?

This is a discussion on AR-15 Recommendations and why? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Being the local boys, my first AR was a CMMG 16" Midlength with a Medium Comtour barrel. It's still my go-to AR. They're good people. ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Recommendations and why?

Being the local boys, my first AR was a CMMG 16" Midlength with a Medium Comtour barrel. It's still my go-to AR. They're good people. I would have no reservations about buying another CMMG AR.

My main advice for the AR buyer is don't get caught up in buying a Colt. They're nice guns, but about 80% Kool-Aid as opposed to actually offering anything over any other reputable AR mfr.

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    My main advice for the AR buyer is don't get caught up in buying a Colt. They're nice guns, but about 80% Kool-Aid as opposed to actually offering anything over any other reputable AR mfr.
    Really? What does the CMMG offer that Colt does not?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    Yep, cuz following the TDP to produce mil-spec rifles (THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENT) is just Kool-Aid fluff... Why is it DPMS, Bushmaster, Oly, CMMG, Spikes, and others can't meet the minimum standard again?

Yup, Colt... it's just a name - just like Daniel Defense, Bravo Company, LMT, Noveske. It just also happens that all of those names do build rifles to the minimum standard. Some of them (LMT, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense) even bother to build them to the standard and keep the pricing inline with Bushy and DPMS...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Really? What does the CMMG offer that Colt does not?
    Money left over in your pocket after you put a new rifle in your collection.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    LOL this cracked me up! How about money left over for ammo? haha
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Looking at their specs it does look like the only thing you're giving up is HPT/MPI testing on critical parts - otherwise it is pretty much Mil-Spec... So you're giving up testing (and presumably since the parts aren't tested) a measure of QC.

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Looking at their specs it does look like the only thing you're giving up is HPT/MPI testing on critical parts - otherwise it is pretty much Mil-Spec... So you're giving up testing (and presumably since the parts aren't tested) a measure of QC.
    I'm not a solider, i'm a weekend warrior. So far I have dumped a couple thousand rounds through my Spikes Tactical AR-15 (5.56) and it runs like a Swiss watch.

I suppose if I could only have 1 SHTF rifle I might consider a rifle brand that the Army chooses but I have about 14 guns in my safe. some good, some great and some mil-surp and in the final analysis they all go bang because I maintain them and care for them dutifully.

While I would like to get a DDM4, I will likely be picking up a BNIB Olympic Plinker Plus for $600, unless someone can talk me out of it? I would prefer a flat-top, but I can do that with my 2nd AR:)

Just google Olympic Arms and quality... Or better yet check out m4carbine.net and search for Olympic Arms... You'd be better off with a hammer or a sharp stick... Seriously, there's not a worse AR made (assuming Hesse's out of business).

This thread is about DPMS, which is basically on par with Oly. In fact, DPMS may be a small step better than Oly, but not by much...

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....hlight=Olympic

Here's one on Oly chambers:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....highlight=Oly*

Take a look at STAG before you buy that Oly. Not much more money and a lot better quality.

Stag was building AR's for S&W till Smith could get their machinery running to build their own receivers.

One thing I'd advise doing no matter what gun you buy. Install a Dfender Dring on the extractor, along with a Wolff extra power extractor spring.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    That's true of any of the better rifles.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    I don't generally get too worked up in most of the tier stuff. Since if you just change out the bolt carrier group to an other brand. (LMT, BCM, ect) You move your gun much farther up the chain without a lot of additional money. (You can even sell the original if you wish)

Of course there is the argument that if they miss the simple things (staking the carrier screws and the castle nut for example) that they may of missed the big stuff as well. Which does have some sense to it.

Still just because you have a rifle on the bottom of the list doesn't mean you're out of luck. It just means it may need some work to bring it up to snuff if it is for more than plinking or fun.(And in the case of Olympic you may of scored a really good barrel)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Just google Olympic Arms and quality... Or better yet check out m4carbine.net and search for Olympic Arms... You'd be better off with a hammer or a sharp stick... Seriously, there's not a worse AR made (assuming Hesse's out of business).

This thread is about DPMS, which is basically on par with Oly. In fact, DPMS may be a small step better than Oly, but not by much...

Why do you say that DPMS is junk? - M4Carbine.net Forums

Here's one on Oly chambers:

.223 Chambered Oly Arms - M4Carbine.net Forums
    Let me show you a video of OLYMPIC ARMS in action. I don't own one, but I feel the right to defend them. Just as Siafu mentioned, I am a weekend warrior like 99% of everyone else on this forum, but I can tell you that I see a ton of OLY's up here in WA. You know what most people say about them? They love them!

I don't plan on putting my rig through the same test this guys put's his Oly through, even though it's supposed to be a superior gun. Hell if it were a COLT, he could have taken on the Chinese army with a million feet of belt fed ammo and the barrel would be cold enough to make popsicles! LOL

Ever shot an Oly, or did you just read about them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrvFUuNBY3M
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Ever shot an Oly, or did you just read about them?
    I'm disinclined to waste my time on junk, so no - never shot one. I know PDCs and instructors personally who have seen more black rifles and have sent more rounds down range (square and otherwise) than I'll ever be able to. If you ask them which rifles sh*t the bed most often they'll give you two names - Olympic and DPMS. For serious defensive purposes (which is what this forum - Defensive Rifles and Shotguns - is about, not competition, not plinking) no one who knows anything about ARs would recommend an Oly or DPMS. And I'm inclined to listen to them in matters where my life may be on the line.

Do what you want, shoot what you want - I hope it works when you need it to.

OD*
    YouTube - testing my Oly

That video was great, hilarious even.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links