AR-15 Recommendations and why?

This is a discussion on AR-15 Recommendations and why? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OD YouTube - Testing my Oly That video was great, hilarious even. My favorite part is when he dips it in the ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Recommendations and why?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    YouTube - testing my Oly

That video was great, hilarious even.
    My favorite part is when he dips it in the mud and moves it back and forth and then flips it over to get the other side! LOL...
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    I'm disinclined to waste my time on junk, so no - never shot one. I know PDCs and instructors personally who have seen more black rifles and have sent more rounds down range (square and otherwise) than I'll ever be able to. If you ask them which rifles sh*t the bed most often they'll give you two names - Olympic and DPMS. For serious defensive purposes (which is what this forum - Defensive Rifles and Shotguns - is about, not competition, not plinking) no one who knows anything about ARs would recommend an Oly or DPMS. And I'm inclined to listen to them in matters where my life may be on the line.

Do what you want, shoot what you want - I hope it works when you need it to.
    I can't change your mind and nor do I want to! I would trust my life with my setup and even though it's not a Colt, I would hate to be on the receiving end of it.
    Last edited by C hawk Glock; September 7th, 2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Got a little heated and wanted to retract...

Spikes tactical is having a great sale right now check out this rifle, you could also piece your own together as their stripped lowers are 50% off if you give them a call they can work out any questions you may have.

ST-15 M4 Carbine w/AA Piston Conversion [ST15 w/AA] - $995.00 : Spikes Tactical

www.spikestactical.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane941 View Post
    Spikes tactical is having a great sale right now check out this rifle, you could also piece your own together as their stripped lowers are 50% off if you give them a call they can work out any questions you may have.

ST-15 M4 Carbine w/AA Piston Conversion [ST15 w/AA] - $995.00 : Spikes Tactical

www.spikestactical.com
    Hi,

I just put a Spikes lower on my new rig. I love the punisher model! One of the cleanest lowers I have ever seen when compared to other brands.

VIP Member
    One thing I forgot to mention about recommendations. Take a look at warranty, I have a hard time spending top dollar on a riffle that gives me a one year warranty.

My Stag upper 2TL, has a lifetime warranty and other manufacturers like Bravo Company have good warranties as well.

What about Del-Ton AR's? Any good? Most of what I can find people are leaving good feedback about them, but I guess they are new in the complete AR rifle market but have built parts for other manufacturers for years. So I guess if some other makes have del-ton parts in them, then del-ton might be ok?

I was first looking at a DPMS then I scratched that one and found good deals on del-ton carbines. They have a lifetime warranty as well.

BUT, I was looking at the Spikes Tactical the other day with the AA piston conversion that is on sale (mentioned in this post somewhere I think). It cost more than the del-ton I was looking at though. I just wonder are there any downfalls to the gas piston conversion and ordering a gun and having sent to a local dealer, will warranty be more of a mess than if I bought something a local dealer stocked?

Is the spikes with aa piston conversion a great deal at under $1000? sure seems like it should, but I am new to ar's and never heard of them till yesterday.

Thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eBandit View Post
    What about Del-Ton AR's? Any good? Most of what I can find people are leaving good feedback about them, but I guess they are new in the complete AR rifle market but have built parts for other manufacturers for years. So I guess if some other makes have del-ton parts in them, then del-ton might be ok?

I was first looking at a DPMS then I scratched that one and found good deals on del-ton carbines. They have a lifetime warranty as well.

BUT, I was looking at the Spikes Tactical the other day with the AA piston conversion that is on sale (mentioned in this post somewhere I think). It cost more than the del-ton I was looking at though. I just wonder are there any downfalls to the gas piston conversion and ordering a gun and having sent to a local dealer, will warranty be more of a mess than if I bought something a local dealer stocked?

Is the spikes with aa piston conversion a great deal at under $1000? sure seems like it should, but I am new to ar's and never heard of them till yesterday.

Thanks
    Hello,

I have not had much experience with Del ton, I know the brand for sure but I have not seen too many of the complete guns. As far as Spikes, I love my Spikes lower and have to say it's tip top.

My Stag also has a lifetime warranty as well.

BAC
    eBandit, what do you want to do with your rifle? What do you expect from it? How often, and hard, do you expect to shoot it? If it's a hobby gun, buy whatever strikes your fancy, but if it's going to be a shooter...

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    eBandit, what do you want to do with your rifle? What do you expect from it? How often, and hard, do you expect to shoot it? If it's a hobby gun, buy whatever strikes your fancy, but if it's going to be a shooter...

-B
    BAC,

Tell us all what is a shooter? I would like to hear the definition, as I think many different AR-15 manufacturers can easily exceed civilian needs.

It will be a plinker to mess around with (I would like to get either a .22 cal. upper later or get the .22 cal. kit for about $200 that only replaces firing pin/ mag. etc. to use for cheap shooting only at times).

But it will also be one of my home defense firearms should it ever need that role (hopefully not!).

IF I did get the spikes and have it sent to my local dealer, will I have to pay any tax at the dealer when I pick it up or only the transfer fee? Just wondering if I get out of paying taxes or not- that way I can factor that in the price total of which to go with. I first thought I really wanted a gas piston AR or a kit later on, but I have seen high speed vids showing the AK barrel bending when firing and told it was from the gas piston?

I just want to make sure that I don't end up with junk with the del-ton since I'm having trouble finding out very much about their rifles. I assume it is still mil-spec, I hope?

I just thought with the aa gas piston kit value- that the spikes was a great deal at under $1000, even though that is more than I wanted to spend right now. Good value though?

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...roducts_id=323
    Last edited by eBandit; September 10th, 2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: add info

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eBandit View Post
    I just want to make sure that I don't end up with junk with the del-ton since I'm having trouble finding out very much about their rifles. I assume it is still mil-spec, I hope?
    Bad assumption. There are few rifles that follow the TDP (technical data package) for M4/M16 style rifles, but nearly every one will tell you something on it is mil-spec.

If you want a home defense tool, read up here... Read the explanations first so you know why each feature is desirable, and then see who offers what you think you need...

M4 CHART
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    BAC,

Tell us all what is a shooter? I would like to hear the definition, as I think many different AR-15 manufacturers can easily exceed civilian needs.
    If I plan to shoot over 5k rounds per year, mostly in competition and training settings, then I'm going to have different requirements for a rifle, and expectations from a rifle, than one I plan to only shoot a couple hundred rounds through per year in mostly static range settings. To me a shooter is the former.

Whether a rifle can meet my needs isn't the point; whether it does is what counts. You can squeeze a bit out of even poor guns by replacing known problem parts with better ones, using good mags, plenty of lube, and half-decent ammunition. For myself, I'd rather get the rifle made for the task, or overbuilt for what I expect to use it for, so that this never becomes an issue and the only thing I'm doing to the gun outside of normal maintenance is shooting it.

eBandit, for a plinking rifle that's more of a range toy than anything you should be fine. Assuming you've got something else to take care of home and hearth, I don't think anyone will argue there being anything nothing wrong with having a gun for the sake of having fun with it.

If you don't already have a tool for home defense, you might want to consider something a bit more known than Del-Ton; specifically, find companies with good reputations of known quality, and stick with them. A rifle you might be betting your life on is a rifle you're going to want to train with, and a rifle you train with has a greater likelihood of breaking than one whose most strenuous activity comes from the casual dropping and reloading of a magazine. A piece-meal lower will run you about $275-$300 on average (lower receiver, lower parts kit, and basic A2 or M4 stock kit). Throw on a Bravo Company upper receiver group, basic plastic handguards, a charging handle, and an LMT bolt carrier group for $650-ish, and a Magpul MBUS rear sight and you've got a complete ready-to-shoot rifle for under a grand that's likely perfect for what you want to use it for. All of this stuff above is in stock at several online vendors, if that matters to you.

I suggest reading the chart linked above; specifically, read the explanation of features. You'll learn more there than you will by just looking for who has X's in what columns. Hope this helps.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

IMO can't beat a bushmaster for the price.
    and Colt is just Quality and best you can buy I believe but pricy to.

Crap- the Spikes tactical just went up to $1,099.

I have talked to several people on the AR15.com website who love their del-tons. Good value for a great price. I have two friends still waiting on their kits to build though. I believe Del-ton is currently in January orders. I recently canceled my May order about two weeks ago because I got tired of waiting and was seeing 8 month wait times. I think it's like $650 for a complete gun kit. So basically what I am hearing is you have to wait for it but it's a great gun.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links