AR-15 Recommendations and why? - Page 5

AR-15 Recommendations and why?

This is a discussion on AR-15 Recommendations and why? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Might wanna look at LWRC, maybe a little pricey but you get what you pay for..... I would also recommend bushmaster but make sure you ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Might wanna look at LWRC, maybe a little pricey but you get what you pay for..... I would also recommend bushmaster but make sure you get a barrel with a 1/7 twist so you can shoot a larger variety of ammo
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinDooley View Post
    Bad assumption. There are few rifles that follow the TDP (technical data package) for M4/M16 style rifles, but nearly every one will tell you something on it is mil-spec.

If you want a home defense tool, read up here... Read the explanations first so you know why each feature is desirable, and then see who offers what you think you need...

M4 CHART
    Hi,

I just wanted to mentioned that your chart is a little old. For example the Stag only shows model 1. I think many of those stats are outdated and the other brands have tightened the gap a bit.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    I have talked to several people on the AR15.com website who love their del-tons. Good value for a great price. I have two friends still waiting on their kits to build though. I believe Del-ton is currently in January orders. I recently canceled my May order about two weeks ago because I got tired of waiting and was seeing 8 month wait times. I think it's like $650 for a complete gun kit. So basically what I am hearing is you have to wait for it but it's a great gun.
    I was going to skip the del-ton kit for that reason. But a complete del-ton rifle isn't much more. Only thing that sucks about that route is, I don't get to pick options like chromed lined barrel and m4 feed-ramps which I could choose if I bought a kit. But I was going to get a few Magpull PMAGS which I have seen people say will feed the round high enough so it wouldn't matter if I had the m4 ramps or not. Anyone ever confirm this?

Spikes tactical told me it was a system glitch that caused the price to be so low and they were loosing money at that price is why they raised it. I guess I lost out on that deal by not jumping on it a couple days ago when I found it.

I wish that M4 chart had more brands on it since there are so many out there.

Does anyone know what other brands del-ton has or does make parts for?
    Last edited by eBandit; September 10th, 2009 at 09:41 PM. Reason: change

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Hi,

I just wanted to mentioned that your chart is a little old. For example the Stag only shows model 1. I think many of those stats are outdated and the other brands have tightened the gap a bit.
    Then contact the folks hosting the chart over at M4Carbine.net and update them. Be prepared to answer exactly what is outdated and where you gathered your information, as all of theirs is gathered from people who actually know what's what; the chart isn't made of guesses. Also keep in mind that the chart is dedicated to basic M4-like rifles only (hence why only one rifle of each company is shown, and not all companies are represented).

eBandit, Del-Ton doesn't make all that many parts. They, like most other companies, rely on another company to do the manufacturing to specs they provide.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Then contact the folks hosting the chart over at M4Carbine.net and update them. Be prepared to answer exactly what is outdated and where you gathered your information, as all of theirs is gathered from people who actually know what's what; the chart isn't made of guesses. Also keep in mind that the chart is dedicated to basic M4-like rifles only (hence why only one rifle of each company is shown, and not all companies are represented).

eBandit, Del-Ton doesn't make all that many parts. They, like most other companies, rely on another company to do the manufacturing to specs they provide.

-B
    BAC,

I could care less about whats what and them stating facts about each riffle brand, the only point I wanted to make is that they show a small amount of models. For example going back to Stag, they only have a model 1. There are at least five different models other than the model 1.

OD*
    Also keep in mind that the chart is dedicated to basic M4-like rifles only (hence why only one rifle of each company is shown, and not all companies are represented).
    Exactly, they are comparing apples to apples. All the manufacturer's listed make other models, but I would think their M4 copies would be some of their best quality offerings.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

BAC
    As OD explained, the Stag model listed is the one most closely resembling the basic M4, just as with every other company on that list. Every company on that list sells multiple models, but the only ones listed are the ones most closely resembling a basic M4 rifle; Daniel Defense didn't originally "make the cut" because their original offering, while excellent, also came fully-loaded and thus is not an even comparison to the other basic M4-esque rifles, and they didn't get included until they made a basic model. Del-Ton was left out of the list because they don't build and sell complete rifles, which is also a requirement for inclusion on that list - that's what kept LMT, Charles Daly Defense, and BCM/Bravo Co. off at first.

The "chart" isn't about appealing to people's sensibilities. It's about presenting honest information in as fair a comparison as possible.

-B

Del-Ton was left out of the list because they don't build and sell complete rifles, which is also a requirement for inclusion on that list -
    -B
    I don't understand what your saying there- am I missing something? You can order a complete rifle from them and I can buy them locally that are complete from del-ton. They might not make all the parts but I don't think all of them on that list make every single part themselves either. I assumed they were not on the list because they were new to making complete rifles.

As far as del-ton not making many parts, I have read on many posts and a few articles that del-ton has been making parts for other manufacturers for years and just recently started making their own rifles models. is this not true?

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by eBandit View Post
    I don't understand what your saying there- am I missing something? You can order a complete rifle from them and I can buy them locally that are complete from del-ton. They might not make all the parts but I don't think all of them on that list make every single part themselves either. I assumed they were not on the list because they were new to making complete rifles.
    This may be true; last I looked at Del-Ton they offered everything but a complete rifle (by which I mean a complete and assembled upper mated to a complete and assembled lower). It may also be that they are not as willing as other companies are to share details about their rifles necessary to mark yay or nay on that chart. The folks who put the chart together are better to ask about that than me.

As far as del-ton not making many parts, I have read on many posts and a few articles that del-ton has been making parts for other manufacturers for years and just recently started making their own rifles models. is this not true?
    That might depend on what parts we're talking about. Last I knew they don't make receivers, they don't make barrels, they don't make stocks, and likely don't make the plastic-ware (grips, handguards). This might have changed and I fully admit to not being as well educated as I could be regarding exactly what they do make, and have only previous conversations with them to reference (wherein they describe that their parts come from the same sources as Colt and other bigger companies do). It might be worth a few minutes giving them a ring and seeing what the nice lady answering their phones can tell you.

If you want Del-Ton, by all means go for it. Just understand what you're getting. The first part of the chart, and the main intent of it, is to educate you on the features of the rifle and their importance (or lack of importance). Taper pins might not be a big deal to you, or castle nut staking if you're going to replace the stock anyway, etc.

-B

VIP Member
    As OD explained, the Stag model listed is the one most closely resembling the basic M4, just as with every other company on that list. Every company on that list sells multiple models, but the only ones listed are the ones most closely resembling a basic M4 rifle; Daniel Defense didn't originally "make the cut" because their original offering, while excellent, also came fully-loaded and thus is not an even comparison to the other basic M4-esque rifles, and they didn't get included until they made a basic model. Del-Ton was left out of the list because they don't build and sell complete rifles, which is also a requirement for inclusion on that list - that's what kept LMT, Charles Daly Defense, and BCM/Bravo Co. off at first.

The "chart" isn't about appealing to people's sensibilities. It's about presenting honest information in as fair a comparison as possible.

-B
    BAC,

The clouds opened and the light shined upon my head. The apples to apples basic M-4 comparison makes sense.

I don't know if Del-Ton sells complete rifles but I know they sell what they call rifle kits, which is everything you need to build one yourself. It comes with a complete upper in which you add the bolt carry group. It also comes with the stripped lower, stock, and lower receiver kit, which is the fire control assembly.

Also, I don't know how far along with it they are but they were making their own barrels last I checked. I believe they were testing them or just got the blanks.... I can't remember. They stated that they were having such difficulty in getting barrels from suppliers not being able to fill orders, they decided to make their own. (note that I'm not advocating buying an unknown barrel from a fresh manufacturer. I'm just stating the facts as I know they have posted on AR15.com.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Del-Ton said they either make their own parts or have them made for them. I had read that they made parts for other in the past, but del-ton says they don't make any parts for anyone else- but even if they did an agreement might prevent them from saying so because Ive heard such before

I do know for sure that they do sell complete rifles. That is what I was looking at when I went to a local dealer- it was a rifle from del-ton not something the dealer put together.

Del-Ton also lists complete rifles Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 Rifleson their website as well as parts and kits.

Their rifle kits have everything you need to complete a rifle except for the stripped lower and that's is all you need.

I might check out a Stag this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by eBandit View Post
    Their rifle kits have everything you need to complete a rifle except for the stripped lower and that's is all you need.
    I'm confused by this. Both of my friend's have ordered the rifle kits. The stripped lower had to be shipped to an FFL but they have received them. Their rifle kits have everything you need.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    I'm confused by this. Both of my friend's have ordered the rifle kits. The stripped lower had to be shipped to an FFL but they have received them. Their rifle kits have everything you need.
    You can do that, they must have ordered a rifle kit and then also added a stripped lower to the cart. they sell lowers also, but the rifle kit doesn't come with it by itself.

It says this after the info on the rifle kits: Rifle kit does not include stripped lower.

They are here: http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_s/1.htm
    Last edited by eBandit; September 11th, 2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: add info

I was at the gun show today and has anyone ever heard from or bought any kits from M&A Parts Inc. AR15 Parts, M16 Parts, Assault Rifles, Tactical Gear M&A Parts, Inc.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links