Best buy on a good over/under?

This is a discussion on Best buy on a good over/under? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guy's, Had a friend come to me with a question I wasn't sure about, but told him I knew some people that could help. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best buy on a good over/under?

Hi guy's,
    Had a friend come to me with a question I wasn't sure about, but told him I knew some people that could help.
    He wanted a few options on a good over/under.
    I don't think he has thousands to spend so looking for a few good choices that are good buys. Thanks
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    A standard field grade Browning Citori would be a fine upland bird gun. It will hold its value and not cost an arm and a leg to purchase. I'm sure there are other less expensive O/U's out there but remember, you get what you pay for. I own 2 Citori's and absolutely love them. They have increased in value twofold since I bought them in the '80s.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Look at the Ruger Red Labels. I wish I could justify buying one.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Administrator
    Now we're talking... I love to discuss bird guns. One thing to remember is that doubles, be it sxs or o/u cost more than a pump or auto. Even a lower end one will cost right around a grand.
    The Browning's are really good guns (OK, awesome), but will cost some. CZ has a really nice line of O/U made by Huglo (pronounced Hoo-Lou)in Turkey. Some will say that the Turk guns are junk, but it seems as if the ones put out by CZ are actually pretty nice. CZ has a hell of a reputation to keep up, so I doubt they would put their name on junk. I just bought a 20ga auto from them, and while its no Beretta, I like the gun for the purpose intended.
    Anyway, their line runs from about 7-800 on up and is of good quality.

My second choice in the "right around a grand" range would be a Red Label. I have one of those as well, and its been a good gun. Its a little heavy for an upland gun... but its a Ruger, and nobody says tanks are supposed to be light.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's a good line up for him to start with.
    SIXTO gunbroker had a CZ for over 2k and a few for 1k.
    It looks like he could get a Ruger or Browning within 1000 to 1500.
    Those Brownings look nice.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I had a CZ Ringneck SxS for 2-3 years and loved the gun. Very well made, and all of my shooting buddies were great with it... just not me. I tried for three dove seasons to make it work for me and ended up trading it last October for a Beretta Storm Carbine. I'll have to go back to my old Beretta AL2 for dove season...wait, it IS dove season.... FOUR DAY HUNT IN WEST TEXAS NEXT WEEK

Quality for price is definately there in the CZ line, and they do make a great looking O/U as well as the SxS... can be had for under the $1k price range.

The Browning Citori is definately a great gun, as well as the Ruger, but may be budget busters for some folks.

surv

VIP Member
    One of my O/Us is a CZ Mallard........great gun, double triggers, extractors instead of ejectors (more expensive guns will have ejectors & single selectable trigger).

This is a gun I use often & it's not too expensive to worry about dinging it in the field....

Can be had for around $500-$600....
    CZ-USA -> MALLARD 104 A

Ruger Red Labels can be had for around $1000-$1500.
    Brownings $1200+
    Berettas $1700+
    ....etc....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

Ok, I am by no means an expert of field type shotguns. I like them, and have shot a few of them, but thats about as far as I go. That being said last time I was home on leave I took out my Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U, and my friend took out his Stoeger Condor. The Mossy felt a lot better, and swung a lot better, and we both broke more clays with it.

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Im sure there are a lot of guns that are better and prettier, but for occasional use and not too much cash, that one works for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    That's a good line up for him to start with.
    SIXTO gunbroker had a CZ for over 2k and a few for 1k.
    It looks like he could get a Ruger or Browning within 1000 to 1500.
    Those Brownings look nice.
    The Mallard's MSRP is $562.

The Redhead is $1000.

The Canvasback is $819.

They go up from there. If it were me looking for an entry level O/U, I'd buy the Canvasback.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Just one warning about the Stoeger....The barrel metal is VERY SOFT. When I was looking at them at Gander Mountain I found several of them had dents in the barrel. They gotten them just by being handled by customers in the store!

The Mossberg Silver Reserve are a little better & you can get them with another set of barrels for the next gauge....(12ga & 20.....or 20ga & .410). They aren't as well made as the CZs but seem to be a good value.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

The browning will never disappoint....they are first rate. I would probably listen to sixto...he seems to be very passionate about his bird guns.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

cmb
    I have a stoeger SxS and it has been fun, I do not shoot competitively or anything, just want my shotguns to throw shot reasonably well and it does. I have my eye on the O/U and the coach gun. I got mine a few years ago for 250 at Dicks Sporting goods. Found a hi vis sight and recoil pad on clearance at wlamart and got those addidtions for 10 bucks total. I have friends who take their skeet and birds very serious and they shoot some awesome benelli's and berretta's but for me I'd spend that money on a nice AR a couple 1911's or any 6 other handguns.

Only recommendation I have is for SD get the auto shell extractors... for clays and such I don't mind pulling shells, easier to colect that way!

Thanks for the input guys, he picked up a Browning yesterday.
    He went in to look ay a Ruger for $1100 and walked out $1400 lighter.
    He said he could'nt see paying a grand for the Ruger after he held the Browning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links