Dragunov question

Dragunov question

This is a discussion on Dragunov question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't plan on buying one now, but it is on my list for in the future. I've been pretty keen on the Dragunov Sniper ...

Thread: Dragunov question

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Dragunov question

I don't plan on buying one now, but it is on my list for in the future. I've been pretty keen on the Dragunov Sniper Rifle, I like the look, caliber, and from what I hear it's an excellent rifle... yet I've never seen one in any gun store. I looked on gunbroker and saw they run about $800+. Are they hard to get, not popular, expensive or do gun stores just not stock them?

There has to be a reason why I've never seen one coupled with the high cost. My assumption is supply and demand, but I always thought Soviet rifles were a dime a dozen. Are the Dragunovs different for some reason?

I like them for conversation or collecting. I would
    get a Russian made one if you do get one.
    As for as accuracy there are much better choices
    for the money. I usually dont see them in gun stores
    but have seen them often at local gun shows but never
    in great quantity. Although not as accurate if you like the
    history and the caliber maybe get a Mosin Nagant M44.
    They can be found for 100 bucks or so but are not semi auto
    like the Dragunovs are. Still very fun to shoot!

Not seen them in gun shops around here. They are very neat rifle and from what I have heard about accuracy with them, is it very ammo picky. I have seen places like Southern Ohio Gun list them in the fliers. I guess they most not sale well, or more gun shops would be stocking them.
    Semper Fi

My local gun store has one, around $800.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Pro2A;1286831]I don't plan on buying one now, but it is on my list for in the future. I've been pretty keen on the Dragunov Sniper Rifle, I like the look, caliber, and from what I hear it's an excellent rifle... yet I've never seen one in any gun store. I looked on gunbroker and saw they run about $800+. Are they hard to get, not popular, expensive or do gun stores just not stock them?

The rifles you see advertised for $$800 - $1000 are products of Romania.
    Some are newly manufactured and some were built from like new parts kits.

The true Soviet MFG ."Dragunovs" were only imported for a while and are not allowed anymore. A good used Soviet "Dragunov" will run you $2000 and up.

The Romanians are decent rifles but nowhere near as accurate as an average
    bolt rifle.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Out of curiousity, why are the true Soviet Dragunov's not allowed anymore?

Yep, if you're seeing them for $800 they're Romanian PSL's. Like was said, they're not bad weapons, but you can find more accurate rifles out there. There's the Yugo M76 also which are chambered in 8mm Mauser also out there if you're wanting a com bloc marksmans rifle, they tend to run around $1600 and up though.

I honestly have never seen a real Russian dragunov for sale, but there are some out there. I think there was a civilian version released known as the tiger, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I seem to recall reading something about them a long time ago.

If you want real Russian, good luck, I think you're going to need it.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Quote Originally Posted by Rmac58 View Post
    My local gun store has one, around $800.
    DITTO here...

I have a friend who had a Russian Dragunov which he purchased well over 12 or 13 years ago, when they were first being imported. He paid a premium for it too.

I do know, he talked on the phone with many different importers trying to get a true sniper version. I don't remember all the particulars because it was such a long time ago but a lot of even the Russian ones being imported were not true sniper variants.

When he did finally get it, it was sweet. Pretty accurate but that 7.62 x 54R round kicked like a mule. I got to shoot about 30 or 40 rounds through it before he sold it. The Russian illuminated reticle scope was interesting but not as high quality as we expected as compared to a Leupold or Schmidt & Bender or any of the quality western "free world" scopes.

I will say, I was hitting the same targets with groups not much larger with my Century Arms FN FAL with a Trilux Suite British Scope at 1/3rd less price of his Dragunov. He also only kept it about a 18 months or so before he got bored with it and sold it.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    IF you are looking for something like the PSLs in 7.62x54r I heard that Saiga may be producing them soon. Not sure though.

Since the PSLs are just large AKs anyway, it would probably be better to go that route and get a new unfired gun, from a much more reliable source/history.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Sponsored Links