Stoeger Stash

Stoeger Stash

This is a discussion on Stoeger Stash within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm xposting from my last post in the Stoeger thread, as I realize its pretty off-topic for that thread, its probably not getting many new ...

Thread: Stoeger Stash

Stoeger Stash

I'm xposting from my last post in the Stoeger thread, as I realize its pretty off-topic for that thread, its probably not getting many new reads and I want some feedback on this.

I need a third weapon for my house to pretty much have one within arms reach 98% of the time I'm hanging out there. I put a small deposit on a simple Stoeger DD 20 gauge (explained below) but not sure now that I really want it.

I have an XD45 which I currently consider the main HD weapon in the BR under my bed, a PM9 upstairs in the office which could double as a good concealed carry if I ever find a place in this state I can legally conceal at (that I want to be at). Both are chambered but locked in quick release gun safes - I have a kid in the house and I follow the law (both NC's and my wife's).

So the third weapon...could be another pistol and another quick-access safe, tucked under living room couch or something.

But I had another idea, call me crazy. But here is my idea:

Strap the gun under the couch with velcro. Unloaded. Thats why I landed at the coach gun, cause its very small and light and loads so fast. So now to be safe I just have to control access to the ammunition. Although I don't want to carry a gun even a pocket gun all the time in my house, carrying a couple shells isn't too bad especially the smaller 20 gauge. I can also fashion some sort of elastic band to tuck them under my scrub pants/pjs etc. So then if the **** hits the fan when I'm in the living room, I grab the gun and load it; this takes perhaps two seconds longer than retrieving the XD from the titan vault.

So yeah now I've only got two rounds. But they both count, and are really just to cover our retreat to the alamo. And if I need more shots than that before I can move the one room over to my handgun safe where I'd have the XD45 + more shotty shells then I'm probably going to lose this fight anyway.

Last consideration on the coach - since my wife hates guns and won't touch them (until we are invaded) - I could hand this to her and she'd have a reasonable chance of killing a BG with it despite never having used any gun before (other reason for 20 gauge - recoil). I don't really think she could defend herself with any pistol considering she has never shot one and the pump action shotgun would just intimidate her. Obviously she won't reload; but she's got two shots. More than nothing.

I've also considered taping or resting a small shotgun shell carry pouch inconspicuously a short distance from the couch (say the top of a cabinet that I reach with a quick jump to the counter). Certainly I'll have them in both hand-gun safes; if I've got the time (cretin throwing useless bricks at my security door) obviously the ideal armament is shotty + XD45 & a 6 shot carry slide at my side.

I'm hardening the house to the extent that I really believe I'll almost certainly have at least 5 seconds before anyone can get in - quite possibly much longer, and if I'm in the living room I'm wide awake at the start of that and know they are coming.

Conflict I'm having now is why not just get mossy tacticool and keep *that* in the br in a quick-release (altough larger) safe, and put the XD w/ titan vault under the couch. Seems a lot simpler. Guess I just like the look of that coach gun ;)

Teach the wife to shoot and shoot well. You can never have too many guns but they wont do anyone any good if she refuses to join the fight. I do like the coach guns but obviously more rounds would be preferred. Good Luck

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Lots of 20 gauges kick more than 12s, mostly due to the fact that they weigh less. Also, single,double barrel shotguns again tend to kick more.

Ballistically they will both do the job though.

One point of at least personal opinion, is that if your wife doesn't know how to use the weapon, isn't comfortable with the weapon, and isn't willing to take the time to learn, then you shouldn't be counting on her to be able to do so in the heat of the moment. While in stressfull situations one tends to default to their training, and in this case she appears to have none, so it is quite likely that she would either end up in prision for an "incorrect" shooting, or harmed because she froze.

Mossberg I believe makes a wall mount system for shotguns that includes a lock. Supposed to be quite good, and I plan on getting one myself when the baby starts walking.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with the Coach gun in 20 ga. I have one, just a basic model with double triggers. The Stoegers are hefty guns and the weight reduces recoil very well... My 5'3", 100 lb wife can handle the Stoeger effortlessly.

I would bet you can load the Stoeger faster than you can run to your room and retrieve the XD.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Why not get a decent pump action shotgun which is much more versatile than a double barrel, and place a "Life Jacket" gun lock over the whole action.

Quick, easy to use and secure. California approved safety lock so I'm confident it will comply in NC as well.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I like your idea of a Stoeger coach/couch gun...
    Coach guns are not for everyone, but I sent my off for some 'cowboy action' work...not for shooting in cowboy action, but rather to make it a smooth running machine.

One like this in 12 ga...
    Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge and 20-Gauge with 3” Chamber
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JEEEEESH coach guns again yall gotta hush I don't have the money right now and I want one soooooooo bad.

cmb
    If she doesn't shoot and you have a child it is better for her to know to get your child, know where you are and know where to go in the house based upon your position should anything happen. Then you know where they are and can fight back to their position. I like the Stoegers, easy to use and intimidating just looking at 2 barrels. Mine does not auto eject shells and I would prefer that, with auto eject you can load and shoot pretty darn fast. I'd get a butt cuff that holds 6 shells and attach it and put a quick release trigger lock on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Why not get a decent pump action shotgun which is much more versatile than a double barrel, and place a "Life Jacket" gun lock over the whole action.
    I don't want anything to do with key locks, for various reasons. My handgun safes are simplex combination safes.

If I could get a lock like that with a simplex mechanism I'd go that way in a heart beat. In fact I originally wanted a simple mossberg pump but just can't find a good lock other than the huge vline safe.

Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    If she doesn't shoot and you have a child it is better for her to know to get your child, know where you are and know where to go in the house based upon your position should anything happen. Then you know where they are and can fight back to their position.
    Well this is the plan, though I would not exactly fight back to their position. If there are active in the house, I would draw them away from wife and child.

As far as other comments with regard to wife - yes I wish I could make her see guns more rationally and get some training and practice but I can't. As far as her not knowing who to shoot etc; in NC that just ain't a problem as long as she doesn't shoot me I'm cool. Anyone in my house can be shot dead in NC; the way our laws are written its almost impossible to find an illegal use of lethal force (they do not even have to pose a threat).

Links