Semi Auto Upgrade to .223 for SHTF

This is a discussion on Semi Auto Upgrade to .223 for SHTF within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for a more powerful SHTF/TEOTWAWKI semi auto rifle to compliment a Mini 14 in .223. I am thinking a .308 or a 7.62 ...

Thread: Semi Auto Upgrade to .223 for SHTF

I'm looking for a more powerful SHTF/TEOTWAWKI semi auto rifle to compliment a Mini 14 in .223. I am thinking a .308 or a 7.62 not really sure which of those 2 would be better.. I am looking for a very cheap option 750 or less USD. I am not very familiar with my options so I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what I should be looking for. Reliability is the second main concern after price. What are my options???

PS - Especially interested in Bullpup designs

you should be able to find a AK47 and a case or so of ammo for that much
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    I'd buy an AK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you are wanting .30 caliber the AK is the way, like the guys said. You won't get much in the way of .308 for $750.00. Bolt action maybe.

M1 Garand! I was watching Band of Brothers last night.

An AMD-65 sounds right up your alley. I always wanted one.....still do in a way, and I've seen one locally for $650.
    Hungarian AMD-65 AK-47 rifle, FEG receiver, w/ side folding stock.

+1 on the AK.
    Ballistics of the .30-30 and we're more than familiar with that tried and true deer getter!
    Caveman simple, ugly as sin and just as reliable, absolutely positively gonna work when you need it, designed to be operated by illiterate Russian peasants, with an amazing variety of mods and add ons ... and the magazine change is much more reliable than the Mini.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

=Sky Pilot;1289840... and the magazine change is much more reliable than the Mini.
    How's that ? They work the same way.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Get a Saiga AK, then do the conversion.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    You have indicated an AK budget. You don't specify what you mean by "SHTF." I have been through several hurricanes, and a small riot, and never saw anyone tossing a bucket of excrement at a fan during those events.

FWIW, I have TWO Mini-14s, and some spare parts for them, including a whole trigger group that can be plugged into either one. I am working an acquiring more spare parts. It is nice when ONE set of spares can suffice for multiple weapons. (I also have an HBAR AR15, and spare stuff, for it, but I like my more agile Minis.)

I looked into larger-bore weapons, and have personally backed away from any autoloading rifles shooting anything larger than .223/5.56 for now. I do have relatively lightweight manually-operated rifles chambered in .308, so if in a position to actually have multiple rifles, I could switch if a "denial of cover" tactic became necessary. Much more practical, actually, would be to switch to a penetrator type of .223 ammo, such as Federal TBBC or a LE-oriented Tactical load. Having two rifles handy, unless at home, or quite close to one's vehicle, is not a likely event.

FWIW, I have grabbed both a shotgun and an AR15 from my patrol car, or two shotguns, along with related supplies, and moved a short distance on foot, in a hurry. That, folks, is a BURDEN. Better to grab the one weapon deemed most appropriate at the moment, and be able to move quicker. I am not saying it is impossible to sling one long weapon, don a pack/bag, and hold a second long weapon, but one starts to feel like the Michelin Man right quickly.

Sponsored Links