Mini 14 Questions

Mini 14 Questions

This is a discussion on Mini 14 Questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mini 14 Questions I have a few questions regarding a Mini 14 .223 as a SHTF rifle. 1. What type of defensive round chambered in ...

View Poll Results: Which Caliber and Bullet type would you chose for a SHTF Scenario

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • .223 with FMJs

26 17.81%
  • .223 with JHPs

51 34.93%
  • 7.62 or .308 with FMJs

25 17.12%
  • 7.62 or .308 with JHPs

44 30.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini 14 Questions

Mini 14 Questions

Mini 14 Questions
    I have a few questions regarding a Mini 14 .223 as a SHTF rifle.

1. What type of defensive round chambered in .223,choose FMJ or JHPs?
    2. Also what grain and brands would be recommended.
    3. Lastly would you choose a 7.62 or a 5.56(223) in a SHTF type of scenario
    4. Can you reccomend a simple Red Dot sight that will mount with the stock rings the mini 14 comes with.
    5. Do you feel that a .223 would be sufficient man stopper or would a 7.62 or .308 be better suited for that job?

I voted 223 JHP's, something from Black Hills with the OTM's. I'd much prefer a ballistic tipped round for the home (e.g. Hornady TAP) or Federal LE Tactical stuff, and a larger (say 300wsm magazine-fed bolt rifle with tac scope) rifle for the longer stuff. But in general, you can't go wrong with what the military considers good enough.

For a SHTF type of scenario, I think the Mini-14 would be a decent choice.

While it is not as accurate as an AR, it does have decent accuracy (the newer ones will do 2 MOA, 2” at 100 yards, with the right ammo) and can be made more accurate for relatively low cost ($100.00 – 150.00). It is reliable and handles well. It is chambered for .223, but is designed to handle the 5.56mm so ammo availability should not be an issue, the Military uses 5.56mm and most law Enforcement agencies use either .223 or 5.56mm.

In my mind, it only has a few drawbacks:
    1. The magazines are more expensive than those for an AR, however, the difference in cost for an AR will cover the Mini magazines.
    2. The magazines are not as easy to insert into the rifle as those for an AR. You need to insert them at an angle and then rotate them rearward to lock in, like the M-14 or the AK. Not difficult, just not as easy or quich as changing the magazine on an AR.
    3. The Mini does not come with any rails so adding attachments is not as easy, you will need to add the rails before adding any rail mounted attachments.

I also think it has some strong points in its favor:
    1. Since it does not have a pistol grip, it is generally looked at as being more “politically correct”.
    2. It is less expensive to purchase than an AR (base Mini vs. base AR).
    3. It is very forgiving of poor maintenance.

As for the .223/5.56mm round… Yes, it is quite capable in a self defense situation. 7.62 or .308 are also very good rounds but are heavier which means that you can not carry as much ammo. If you also have to worry about food, the .223/5.56 rounds can be used on just about anything from rabbit to white tail deer. The 7.62/.308 will not be of much use on anything the size of rabbit because there just would not be much meat left; it would be usable on larger game that would be too big for the .223/5.56 round.

FMJ vs. JHP… I would go with either JHP or soft point ammo in either .223/5.56 or 7.62/.308. The only reason that I would go with FMJ would be if I was legally required to, like the Military is. Either JHP or soft point will work for SD as well as hunting so you do not have to worry about which ammo to carry.

Would I choose the Mini-14 in a SHTF scenario? In a heart beat!

For .223 I like to switch up the ammo in
    the mag using a combo of SS109 (prob hard to find now at
    least find them cheap) tracer rounds, and soft points.
    I know a lot of different rounds but I have a beta mag.
    Would rather have a .308 battle rifle for more serious situations

By 7.62 do you mean 7.62x39mm or 7.62x54mm?

I have both but the scenario would determine which I went for. Mobile on the move warrants .223 in ball configuration (62 grain SS109). Stationary at the house I want .308 in my FAL. Ball is fine there too. I don't want HP in a auto feed defense gun. Reliability is too important.

Yep Mini-14 for SHTF!

Mine is a standard model but I'd get a Ranch Rifle in the tactical version if I buy another one. Much easier to add options to the tactical version than the standard or Ranch.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I think it is nice to have both a .223/5.56 and a .308/7.62 in your squad or unit of people. I think it's important to have some versatility available. I think there are good uses for each of those rounds.

I also think there is a need for a long range 30-06, a 7mm mag or 300 win mag in the unit as well.

I don't plan on going things alone if I can avoid it. I have a cadre' of some like minded friends to form a group to hang with in a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI situation. So I didn't vote. Much more can be accomplished in a small tight knit group of say a squad size or less.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The Mini-14 is also my SHTF rifle. My favorite ammo is Federal XM-193 ball 5.56mm. It is the most accurate round in my Mini. The only accessory on mine is a military type leather sling.
    Question Everything!

From everything I have read, the Mini-14 has a couple of potential problems as a SHTF rifle, and it's pretty much all related to the ammo. I've heard recommendations that you shouldn't use more than about 55gr, and that it has more of a tendency to jam on certain foreign-made brands (I don't remember which).

As for 7.62 vs 5.56 - the 7.62 would have more stopping power, but you can carry about twice the 5.56/223 in the same space - so you have to decide: more stopping power per shot, or more shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    From everything I have read, the Mini-14 has a couple of potential problems as a SHTF rifle, and it's pretty much all related to the ammo. I've heard recommendations that you shouldn't use more than about 55gr, and that it has more of a tendency to jam on certain foreign-made brands (I don't remember which).
    Interesting. Mine really likes 62 grain ammo and eats crappy com-bloc stuff like it's candy.

The poll doesn't give enough information. What are you trying to do, where are you, what are you afraid of?

In the city trying to get or capture resources I want a tactical .223 with lots of ammo.

In the country trying to feed my family I want either a .22 or a .270 or bigger depending on what I want to eat.

Always match the bullet with what you want to kill.

AR with a mix of FMJ and JHP depending on situation.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have been through hurricanes, and a small riot. I never saw anyone tossing excrement at a fan during any of those experiences. Please elaborate on EXACTLY what is meant by SHTF.

I like the old-fashioned 55-grain JSP just fine. My chief wants me to use that if I shoot someone with a .223/5.56 weapon, on or off the clock. Lots of felons have fallen right quickly to that round. This was not a choice in the poll, so no vote from me there.

The poll is not clear about which 7.62 round is being discussed here, so I will ignore that part, too, except to say that 7.62 NATO will make holes through cover that will stop .223/5.56. As I get old and infirm, I appreciate lighter-weight weapons, and lighter ammo burdens.

Actually for me it is all of the above!
    I answered .223 with JHP as that would most likely be my primary round. The FMJ I have don't have great terminal ballistics out of my CAR, so I have heavy JHPs for that and long distance use in my A2 HBAR Match. If the situation dictates I would have to switch to my .308 bolt gun with JHP hand loads.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links