Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme on it's way!

This is a discussion on Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme on it's way! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just scored a smokin' deal on a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme (all nickel). I knew when I first saw retsup's, I had to have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme on it's way!

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar

I just scored a smokin' deal on a Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme (all nickel). I knew when I first saw retsup's, I had to have one. I was debating a Double Defense but this deal jumped out and made my decision for me.

This is going to be a HD gun and I guess the two main things I would have liked on it from the Double Defense were the single trigger and bottom rail. Any way to add these to a Supreme? The only real reason I want the rail is for a flashlight mount. Any other way to mount my Fenix TK11 without messing up the purty Supreme? Also, what's a good front bead sight for it? I'll probably do a few other mods that I've read here as well like having work done on the chambers to help the shells fall out easier.

Man, nothing like buying a new gun.

Edit:
    I notice that they make a single trigger for the Supreme:
    http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...leTriggers.jpg

Now I just have to find one. I'm thinking XS Big Dot on the front sight.
    Attached Images

nice. love those stagecoach shotguns

Very nice! I would love to have one .
    We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police

RMS
    Congratulations. Nice looking gun. Hope to have one someday.

Thanks!

These bad boys aren't that pricey even new. I sold my 870P earlier and shifted the dough to this. I'll miss the 870P but I wanted this more.

There are a number of things you might consider doing. I put a #4 bead site on mine, actually, for HD you don't really need a sight. All you'll need is a compass to point in the general direction...
    If I were to change anything, I might put a Trij type front site on the front only.

I had quite a bit of stuff done, including a change on the safety to work manually only. I can open and load it without the safety going back on...a good thing to do for a HD situation.

Enjoy your new shottie. One can shoot and load pretty quickly for the proper welcoming of unwanted guests.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks retsup!

You were the one who inspired me to chase one of these down. I had shotty envy when I saw yours.

Yeah, I like the simplicity of it as a HD gun but I still want to tinker with it. That's just how I am. I know a front sight isn't a big need but I'll probably put something like an XS Big Dot on there. Also, I'm wondering how much it will cost me to get that single trigger that they offer for the Supremes? I'm going to call them Tuesday to find out. Really that's all I want to do with it for now. Oh, I'd like a way to mount a flashlight/weaponlight on it without screwing it up. I have a Fenix TK11 and a Procyon XTI that I can use. Maybe a small piece of silver rail under the barrels for the Procyon would be the ticket?

If I find a good local guy, I'll do some of the other mods you had done as well. Yours sounds excellent.

As for ammo, I have a bunch of Federal LE132 low recoil 00/9 pellet leftover from my Saiga 12 and 870P. Am I good to go with that?

Thanks for your experienced input.

Have a Baikal, external cocking levers that look like hammers.
    Would prefer a Stoeger coach.
    Good acquisition, well done, you should be delighted!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

I like #4 buck for HD
    would put a shell holder on the stock
    for some quick access to more rounds
    if needed.

VIP Member
    Congrats... I'm thinking about putting an XS night sight on the front of mine... I prefer the double triggers, but that's just me... I put an elastic sleeve shell holder on the stock for extra rounds...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks guys,

Yeah, some more shell storage on the stock is good. Who makes a good quality sleeve? Any other non permanent options out there? I'm having a hard time finding a small light mount for a double barrel. I don't want to go all tacticool with it but an unobtrusive light mount would be helpful for HD mode.

First off, congratulations on your new Coach Gun. They're great little guns if you do just a bit of work and treat them right.

Single trigger -- Stoeger sells two different models of Coach Gun Supreme. The double trigger model and the single trigger model. Even if you could find a single trigger, I'm not sure it could be retrofitted to your model or whether it would be worth the expense.

Rails -- Not sure how you could attach rails to it, but a gunsmith may be able to solder rails to the gun. Again, cost becomes a consideration to the point where you may be better off to resell the one you just bought (hopefully for a profit) and purchase the Double Defense model (if you can find one).

Now, a couple of things about shooting and modifying your Coach Gun.

You may be tempted to lighten up the spring on the opening lever. Since your main use for this gun is HD, I'd suggest you may want to leave it alone. There is a discussion of this here. Read the posts by Coyote Cap to get a better understanding of the problem.

DO fix the "auto-engaging" safety. It's a PITA. Of all the firearms I own, not a single other one automatically engages the safety on a reload. Whey Stoeger felt this was necessary, I'm not sure but it can be fixed. In the photo below, you need to remove metal from the blued rod I've indicated with the yellow arrow. How much is trial and error. I did mine with a file as I didn't want to get carried away with a Dremel and take off too much, but you do have to remove a fair amount of material so that it doesn't contact the safety on opening.

The one drawback to the Coach Guns for HD, IMO, is the lack of ejectors. This means you either have to pick out the empties or "chuck" them out with a quick, rearward movement of the gun. My first suggestion is to avoid ribbed shotshells. Ribbed shells tend to be more difficult to extract than smooth shells. However, in heavy buckshot loads, finding shells that aren't ribbed may be difficult. Make sure you practice chucking shells with the load you intend to use. If it becomes apparent that they will not come out on their own, you'll need to polish the chambers. You can do this yourself with a Brownells flex hone or pay a gunsmith.

One other thing about shooting your Coach Gun. DO NOT snap the gun open. By that I mean releasing the opening lever and by a quick upward movement of the action, snap the gun open. Stoegers have a bad habit of breaking off the barrel lug if you open them violently and it is not covered under warranty if they determine you were snapping the gun open. If the gun you bought is new, it will be stiff opening but a few hundred openings while watching TV will help.

There is some good information about slicking up Stoeger Coach Guns here. Just remember that some of these modifications are specifically aimed at using the gun in CAS competitions and may not be a wise move for a dedicated HD shotgun.

Good Luck,
    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Wow, thanks Hoss!

That's some excellent info and I really appreciate it. I think I can pull off fixing the safety myself and maybe I'll skip the single trigger. Like you said, it may be too expensive. I've seen some small rails that are only 2-3 inches and was wondering how to mount them underneath the barrels towards the foregrip without damaging the finish. I wish I could just find some light attachment that isn't permanent. I'd rather not hack the gun up if I can help it.

Thanks again for the great input.

Awesome Post Hoss!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Wow, thanks Hoss!

That's some excellent info and I really appreciate it. I think I can pull off fixing the safety myself and maybe I'll skip the single trigger. Like you said, it may be too expensive. I've seen some small rails that are only 2-3 inches and was wondering how to mount them underneath the barrels towards the foregrip without damaging the finish. I wish I could just find some light attachment that isn't permanent. I'd rather not hack the gun up if I can help it.

Thanks again for the great input.
    While I was making the post above, I did try to do some searching for a light mount. The only thing I can find is this ugly duckling. I can find no pictures of it actually mounted on a double barrel.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links