Decided on an Optic for the Noveske - And a Little About Cross Dominant Shooting

This is a discussion on Decided on an Optic for the Noveske - And a Little About Cross Dominant Shooting within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Cy, I'm writing up a email to LaRue right now. I'm up north of Marshalltown. What I'd like to see from LaRue would be an ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decided on an Optic for the Noveske - And a Little About Cross Dominant Shooting

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Cy,

I'm writing up a email to LaRue right now. I'm up north of Marshalltown.

What I'd like to see from LaRue would be an SPR or SPR-E incorporating the ability to pivot the optic out of the way. I too have concerns about tweaking the optic as well, we'll see what LaRue has to say.

Regarding the quality of the optic, there's a reason I'm going cheaper on the optic and heavy on the mounts, if I do give this a try, I don't want to trash a higher quality optic. If this works well I'll probably upgrade to a Trijicon Accupoint, but I'm not too crazy about the current reticle patterns available....I wonder if while I'm at it suggesting ideas if I could talk Trijicon to offering the horseshoe/dot reticle from the ACOG on the Accupoint.

2. Remove Ads

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I would contact LaRue and see what they think. They may have already set up something similar or can direct you to someone who has.
    How solid is the pivot mount? Good enough to maintain returnable zero? Will the millet tube fit above your BIUS? Maybe a Arms #40L might be a better BUIS?
    Maybe check over on Ar15.com , someone probably has done something similar , or atleast tried.
    The DMS should clear the folded down rear sight from what I've seen in pictures, I don't think that will be an issue. As for the the Pivot mount, it looks pretty solid, as for the returnable zero, I don't know but I really want to try it out and see how it works.
    I tend to think that if there was a mount with the two pivoting rings connected at the base that it would return to zero as the QD Pivot has two locking positions, as long as they return to the proper position when locked.

However, if the whole point of the pivoting mount is to get the optic out of the way of the irons after a failure, rezeoring the optic would probably be needed anyway as the scope is probably kaput.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I have the N4 LIght Basic Recce 16" I wanted a mid-length gas system and longer sight radius and a removable "muzzle device" without worrying about the paperwork.

What I found to work for me instead of tilting the gun, I turn my head to the right so that my chin is indexed on my shoulder. I've found this position to work in either a modified Weaver or the isosceles stance. I loose a small amount of peripheral on the left, pick up more on the right, but overall have a wider field of view compared to shooting with one eye.

Had more range time been possible, it would have been smoother/quicker transition. It's taken about two years of casual shooting to index my chin to my shoulder on the draw. Since the move and the arrival of our son, it's been hard to get the needed practice in.
    I can relate, I can only make it to the range once a month, and because I like to use all of my firearms and not have too many safe queens, I alternate quite a bit, and always practice with my EDC's. Thanks for the input, will give it a try.

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    So I talked to LaRue and the general consensus is that what I want to do won't work.

1: The optic will probably loose zero once pivoted out of the way as LaRue says it won't come back to the same point of rest. I don't get that as the mount locks in place in both positions, as I'm looting at using this in the event of an optic failure, I wasn't too concerned about the loss of zero. I haven't heard back from them after inquiring about the locking aspect of the mounts, looking at the mount, I can't see how they'd affect zero unless the mount were damaged and the channels for the hardware became out of round.

2: The mounts I want to use aren't made to be a set for an optic with magnification, while it appears that they would work well for what I want, the mounts would have to be lapped to be on the same plane, apparently these mounts aren't made to the same exacting tolerance of average scope rings...

I strongly advise against using two pivot mounts for a powered optic for two reasons. First being every time you pivot it out of the way, you will have to re-zero it, and second is that unlike our standard billet scope mounts, the LT 649 is a one ring optic, and is therefore not going to be on the same plane, you would have to lap them. Even with lapping them, you cannot repeat zero when you pivot them back into position.
    So I sent an email to Burris about their AR Pivot mount and got a disturbing reply that these mounts may never hit the market.

So it looks like I'm going to be going with an SPR-E mount from LaRue, in the mean time, I think I'm going to go ahead and mount my Swan rail, get some 30mm rings and see if I can play with the Millet before laying out $215ish on a mount.

Back to the drawing board...

VIP Member
    Bummer. At least they were honest with you and didn't just try to sell you the stuff anyway. I am looking at options for my the Noveske SPR that will be waiting for me when I get back to the states here is a few days (!!!), there are just so may good choices out there, I know you'll find something that works.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Maybe I am missing something but seems I read some where about there being a mount for the Accupoint and EOTech that allow you to fold their magnifying / night sights off to the side when not in use. Would something like that work?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

JD [OP]
    Administrator
    Possibly, I'll have to take another look at those, but most of them are spring assisted and I'm not to crazy about them.

I also have your sight issue. I do everything right handed except I taught myself to shoot rifles, shotguns, bows and pool left handed.
    I even built 2 left hand Stag AR's - 1 std and 1 HB. It is much easier for me to shoot left handed than mess with training my right eye. ( I tried for 30 years before I switched). Let us know how it works.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links