Defensive Carry banner

Extended mag tube on Rem 870 - or not?

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jeep45238 
#1 ·
OK - one for the collective wisdom here...

I have one shotgun, a stock Rem 870 Express pump. I keep it in the safe, loaded with 4 shells of #1 buckshot (no shell in the chamber), with another 6 on a side-saddle on the buttstock. I use a 20" barrel with rifle sights, and switch to the original 28" barrel when I take it trap shooting. I do not wish to purchase another shotgun at this time.

The role I see the shotgun filling is as the last line of defense once we are all in our bedroom/safe room. I would use my Glock to cover my wife while she got the kids into our room, as it is easier to maneuver with the pistol, and it leaves one hand free for lights, the phone, doors, and the kids. Once we are in the safe room, she gets the Glock while I get the shotgun out.

In this scenario, do I really need to get an extended mag tube installed? On my 870, I would have to drill out and sand the bumps in the stock tube. Then there is the issue of taking a "tactical" shotgun to the trap range, where only 3 shell capacity is allowed. I'm not sure if I could remove the extended mag tube and go back to stock? I'm also thinking if 4 shells of #1 buckshot (and 16 rounds of 9mm from my wife) don't do the trick, we are in heap big doo doo!:blink:

If anyone has added an extended mag tube to their newer 870, I would love to hear if you can go back to stock - or not.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
holed up in the bedroom ,I don't think any standard burglars will be wading thru gunfire to get at whats in the bedroom,at the first barrage they will be in a foot race to see who can beat the others outside,my HD shotty has 4+1 capacity,and if it gets really deep I grab the AR with 30 round mag inside the closet on hooks

#4 ·
Agreed 10 rounds of 12 gauge is plenty to ward off the standard burglar.

#6 ·
I have more or less the same setup. 870 with 4 on the side (4+4+1) I opted to NOT add the magazine extender. It's not just drilling and sanding off the bumps that a problem, but you have to remove the extender every time you switch barrels. When you do the spring goes BOING, it's no longer captive.

As for bringing it to the range, I believe that most extenders include a plug that limits the capacity to 2 shells, to meet water fowl hunting requirements.

#8 ·
As for bringing it to the range, I believe that most extenders include a plug that limits the capacity to 2 shells, to meet water fowl hunting requirements.
The Choate one I was looking at at Midwayusa does not, as far as I can see. :confused:

#7 · (Edited)
OK...thanks for the reality check. I'll likely leave it as is, and practice topping off the mag tube from the side saddle with my left hand - keeping the gun up toward the threat.

Would still like to know if once you make the mods for the extended mag tube, you can still go back to stock, just out of curiosity? Will the original mag tube cap go back on and stay on, due to the ratcheting design - which will no longer work once you drill out the bumps in the mag tube?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.