Extended mag tube on Rem 870 - or not?

This is a discussion on Extended mag tube on Rem 870 - or not? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK - one for the collective wisdom here... I have one shotgun, a stock Rem 870 Express pump. I keep it in the safe, loaded ...

Thread: Extended mag tube on Rem 870 - or not?

Question Extended mag tube on Rem 870 - or not?

OK - one for the collective wisdom here...

I have one shotgun, a stock Rem 870 Express pump. I keep it in the safe, loaded with 4 shells of #1 buckshot (no shell in the chamber), with another 6 on a side-saddle on the buttstock. I use a 20" barrel with rifle sights, and switch to the original 28" barrel when I take it trap shooting. I do not wish to purchase another shotgun at this time.

The role I see the shotgun filling is as the last line of defense once we are all in our bedroom/safe room. I would use my Glock to cover my wife while she got the kids into our room, as it is easier to maneuver with the pistol, and it leaves one hand free for lights, the phone, doors, and the kids. Once we are in the safe room, she gets the Glock while I get the shotgun out.

In this scenario, do I really need to get an extended mag tube installed? On my 870, I would have to drill out and sand the bumps in the stock tube. Then there is the issue of taking a "tactical" shotgun to the trap range, where only 3 shell capacity is allowed. I'm not sure if I could remove the extended mag tube and go back to stock? I'm also thinking if 4 shells of #1 buckshot (and 16 rounds of 9mm from my wife) don't do the trick, we are in heap big doo doo!

If anyone has added an extended mag tube to their newer 870, I would love to hear if you can go back to stock - or not.

Thoughts?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

2. Remove Ads

holed up in the bedroom ,I don't think any standard burglars will be wading thru gunfire to get at whats in the bedroom,at the first barrage they will be in a foot race to see who can beat the others outside,my HD shotty has 4+1 capacity,and if it gets really deep I grab the AR with 30 round mag inside the closet on hooks
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    I wouldnt worry about it. Leave it as is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Agreed 10 rounds of 12 gauge is plenty to ward off the standard burglar.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

RMS
    Sounds like your good to go as is.

I have more or less the same setup. 870 with 4 on the side (4+4+1) I opted to NOT add the magazine extender. It's not just drilling and sanding off the bumps that a problem, but you have to remove the extender every time you switch barrels. When you do the spring goes BOING, it's no longer captive.

As for bringing it to the range, I believe that most extenders include a plug that limits the capacity to 2 shells, to meet water fowl hunting requirements.

OK...thanks for the reality check. I'll likely leave it as is, and practice topping off the mag tube from the side saddle with my left hand - keeping the gun up toward the threat.

Would still like to know if once you make the mods for the extended mag tube, you can still go back to stock, just out of curiosity? Will the original mag tube cap go back on and stay on, due to the ratcheting design - which will no longer work once you drill out the bumps in the mag tube?
    Last edited by 10thmtn; September 12th, 2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: clarity
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
    As for bringing it to the range, I believe that most extenders include a plug that limits the capacity to 2 shells, to meet water fowl hunting requirements.
    The Choate one I was looking at at Midwayusa does not, as far as I can see.
    CT Lasers

I have a Choate on my 870, they do not come with any plugs. The tube, new spring, and a follower.

I run one on mine, but it's personal preference. Go with whatever you like better :)
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Links