Best scope for a Ruger Ranch Rifle?

This is a discussion on Best scope for a Ruger Ranch Rifle? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dad finally went a sprung for the Ranch Rifle he's been wanting for years. He asked me what kind of scope would be best for ...

Thread: Best scope for a Ruger Ranch Rifle?

Best scope for a Ruger Ranch Rifle?

Dad finally went a sprung for the Ranch Rifle he's been wanting for years. He asked me what kind of scope would be best for it. I was thinking a 3x9, but wanted some opinions from somebody who might actually have one. As background, this rifle will never see an actual gun range. Dad's a cattle rancher in Oklahoma, so the rifle will likely be used mainly on coyotes.

Thanks in advance,
    Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

2. Remove Ads

I would definitely say keep it simple. I would also say that objective size does matter, and I'd at least go with a 40-44mm minimum. 3x9 would be good, but a fixed power like a 6x42-44 may even be better. It all depends on what you've allotted towards a scope for this rifle and it's main purpose as you've already stated. Don't forget to consider distance to target. I personally favor 4-12 or 4-16x40 with adjustable objectives on my varmint rifles, but these scopes I would not consider top of the line. They have always done their job and been reliable though. Optical quality is important to an extent, and it goes along with what you're used to and the quality of your vision. Next thing you'll need to choose on any scope you're contemplating, is the type of reticle that would be best. Sometimes finding the best scope/reticle can be elusive and you'll end up compromising. One thing you want to avoid is buying a scope that's worth more than your rifle IMO. There are some nice range estimating/BDC scopes on the market that are reasonably priced. Most of my coyote experiences and shots taken have been in dusk or twilight conditions where the larger objective does well. Good luck in your search.

VIP Member
    Nikon's Pro Staff line is very nice and not very expensive. A good quality scope with a lifetime warranty for around $120 to $150 depending on magnification. The 3x9 goes for about $140.

Look...

ProStaff Series
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    I normally recommend high quality glass...........Leupold at a minimum....

However, when it comes to Ruger's Ranch Rifle, I recommend a different rifle.

The one I have is the most inaccurate rifle I own.... No matter what glass I tried it just won't hit the 'barn'.

Hope you have better luck with yours!

Just don't go cheap on the glass!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

gaf--Is your one of the new ones they made after the recent retooling?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Ruger's tend to have a bit more shock to a scope than other firearms. Likely becuase the mounts are actually part of the receiver rather than mounted elsewhere. High quality would be a wise idea to help prevent breakage from recoil, but make sure you get a crosshair-type scope. Try to avoid the red-dots with the Ranch Rifle.

I have a leupold 3x9 on a mini 30 and it shoots good,holds a zero well and handles the recoil,Its around a 200.00 scope,stay away from NC star or any of the other cheap off brand scopes,they never held a zero,A tasco or Simmons is about the cheapest I would go,and Tasco isn't too bad a scope for the money
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    gaf--Is your one of the new ones they made after the recent retooling?
    No, it's an old one (1980s), stainless with factory folding stock. the only reason I still own it is that its rare!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    No, it's an old one (1980s), stainless with factory folding stock. the only reason I still own it is that its rare!
    And don't forget it was the rifle of choice for the A Team. They shot hundreds of rounds every episode and never hit a damn thing.

Anyway, depending on the distances and landscape of your dads ranch, a 3x9 would probably work well. Inside of a 100yds, the RR will work just fine on the yotes. Outside of that, it gets a little shaky.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, here's my .02 worth.

Price -- I would not put a high-dollar scope on this rifle. Based on your description, this rifle is probably going to spend a lot of time bouncing around in a truck. I'd much rather beat up a $200 scope than a $1000 scope. And while the optics may not be as clear or bright, there are plenty of inexpensive scopes that are every bit as durable as the high dollar stuff.

Objective size -- as others have said, go as big as is practical without having to mount the scope so high as to not be able to get a good cheek weld for off-hand shooting. Depending on the barrel profile, you should be able to go somewhere between 42-50 mm.

Adjustable Objective -- go with side focus. So much faster than an AO it's not even comparable and depending on scope mounting height, can usually be used while supporting the rifle with the same hand. I've made myself a promise that any new scope I buy from now on will have side focus. It's so much of an improvement over an AO, that it's finding it's way into the low to medium priced optics.

Power -- My preference would be in the 6X-??X range. I've never had a shot at a coyote that needed anything less than 6X and had plenty of shots where the higher power sure was handy. The filed of view difference between 4X and 6X on the bottom side is almost negligible. About 2 ft. at 100 yards. Roughly 19' to 17'. Both more than enough to spot a coyote at 100+ yds. Top range depends on your choices for brand, price, objective size, etc. There are 6X18, 6X21, 6X24, ??.

Brand -- In the price range and power range that I am suggesting, I have the most experience with Simmons. I have had excellent luck with Simmons scopes. They are sometimes a bit sluggish while zeroing, but once set I have never had one come off zero and I've never had one fail. I have a Simmons 4X12X44 on my Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag. It's been on there for probably 25 years and still going strong. A Simmons scope meeting all of my requirements above can be had for around $150.00. For a bit more money, there are several other decent brands of scopes that fit my criteria. Millett, Mueller & Nikon to name a few. Only brands I personally will no longer consider (based on past personal experience or experience of friends) are Tasco, BSA, Sightron (decent scope but overpriced for the quality) & Barska .

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Does he need a scope? How far will he be shooting? How good are his eyes? Is the rifle/optic going to spend more time bouncing around in the vehicle than being shot? Is he going to be shooting at a moving target most of the time? If he's going to have the time to settle into a good rested position out to a couple of hundred yards at a resting or slow moving target and will be (as is the norm here) shooting in low light I'd recommend the Simmons Aetec in about a 2.8 X 10. If he's going to be shooting at a fast moving target at a hundred or so yards with little or no chance to snuggle up to the rifle/optic I'd suggest either the Bushnell Holographic or one of the Propoint/Aimpoint quick acquisition type sights. Remember to have him keep both eyes open with the red dot types. They're designed for your right eye to see through the aperture and see the red/green dot. Your left eye sees everything peripherally and your brain will superimpose the two images and for all purposes works like a laser.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    I normally recommend high quality glass...........Leupold at a minimum....

However, when it comes to Ruger's Ranch Rifle, I recommend a different rifle.

The one I have is the most inaccurate rifle I own.... No matter what glass I tried it just won't hit the 'barn'.

Hope you have better luck with yours!

Just don't go cheap on the glass!
    Newer Ranch Rifles, with serial number prefixes of 580, are assembled on new tooling, and most users report much better accuracy than with older Minis/Ranch Rifles.

I am not going to brag on mine yet, as I bought my two Ranch Rifles about the time my eyesight started going bad, and mine do not yet wear scopes. My iron-sight shooting is nothing to brag about; that front sight looks like it has a mop of hair on top. (Which is a reason I am reading this topic.) I will let y'all know how mine do after I mount glass on them.

I am leaning toward a Leupold 2.5x for one, and am undecided about the other.

Edited to add: Why two of them? Well, the first one has the original 18" barrel length. When the ones with 16" barrels hit the market, I grabbed one of those, too, for a good deal considering its Sage International stock. Ruger made a run of these, with this stock, before they went cheap with the present "tactical" stock. I got this one pre-owned but minty.
    Attached Images

Thanks for the inputs, guys. As usual, you've given me some good advice.

Herk

I put a Leupold 3-9 33mm on my Henry 22mag...you get what you pay for...
    Buy cheap twice, buy quality once.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    And don't forget it was the rifle of choice for the A Team. They shot hundreds of rounds every episode and never hit a damn thing.

Anyway, depending on the distances and landscape of your dads ranch, a 3x9 would probably work well. Inside of a 100yds, the RR will work just fine on the yotes. Outside of that, it gets a little shaky.
    They weren't out to hurt nobody Sixto....they were practicing indirect fire...that is why they were elite military soldiers.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links