Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED - Page 2

Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED

This is a discussion on Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Love mine and the posters that say "it's a hipoint" have most likely never shot one. Hey I own S&W's, Kimbers and yes a Hi ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED

Love mine and the posters that say "it's a hipoint" have most likely never shot one.
    Hey I own S&W's, Kimbers and yes a Hi Point

I have more fun shooting my 995 then my AR. My son and I love ours.

This thing does go bang every time.

cmb
    I have a C-9 and can shoot anything out of it including hp and shotshells, never had a problem, ever and never a jam. I would say I am around 1000 rds. It is also my wife's favorite because the manual safety and the slide is easy to rack. I don't CC it but I like it. I would already own the carbine if it took the same mags... that's the only thing I don't like. Their 40sw pistol and carbine share mags but not the 9's... as far as I know and I did email them a few years ago about it...

Just bought my second HP995 today (first on 9-18-09). This one I will put an ATI stock (or a new TS stock from Hi Point) with Sightmark red dot. As others have said, when you pull the trigger, it goes bang - every time. The original stock is so ugly, it's lovable! I got so hooked on HP, I bought 2 c-9s the same day I bought the 995, but (alas) I just got a Taurus PT709 Slim for CC (another sweet winner).

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    ...not as much over penetration worries like an AR15 ...
    Actually, the pistol round may have more risk of overpenetration than the .223 rifle. The lighter weight .223/5.56 bullets (55-60 gr or so) tend to decelerate so violently (especially JHPs) that they tumble and fragment into small pieces. 9mm FMJ will likely penetrate more.

For defensive purposes with a pistol caliber carbine, you need to do some research into the bullets you are using. When driven at higher velocities by the longer carbine barrel, some JHPs can expand too quickly and "explode," giving you penetration that is too shallow and doesn't reach the vitals.

Just something to keep in mind.

I've been thinking of a Sub 2000, since you can get one that takes Glock 19 mags. Hmmmm.....
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    You still have room in your safe? It's high time.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Actually, the pistol round may have more risk of overpenetration than the .223 rifle. The lighter weight .223/5.56 bullets (55-60 gr or so) tend to decelerate so violently (especially JHPs) that they tumble and fragment into small pieces. 9mm FMJ will likely penetrate more.

For defensive purposes with a pistol caliber carbine, you need to do some research into the bullets you are using. When driven at higher velocities by the longer carbine barrel, some JHPs can expand too quickly and "explode," giving you penetration that is too shallow and doesn't reach the vitals.

Just something to keep in mind.

I've been thinking of a Sub 2000, since you can get one that takes Glock 19 mags. Hmmmm.....

thinking of a KelTec????

welcome to the borg... prepare to be assimilated

surv

Indeed!

My thinking is that my wife (petite) would have an easier time with a Sub 2000 (recoil) than my 870 shotgun or even my Mini 14.

Plus, much cheaper to shoot, mags would be compatible with my handguns, and I don't have many places to shoot at a longer range anyway...so a pistol caliber carbine starts to make some sense.

I'd like to see one one in person, though, before I plunk the money down on one.
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    Indeed!

My thinking is that my wife (petite) would have an easier time with a Sub 2000 (recoil) than my 870 shotgun or even my Mini 14.

Plus, much cheaper to shoot, mags would be compatible with my handguns, and I don't have many places to shoot at a longer range anyway...so a pistol caliber carbine starts to make some sense.

I'd like to see one one in person, though, before I plunk the money down on one.
    Why do you need to see one in person? You already know they are ugly! haha....... Sorry guys, but they are...

I have heard good things about them though....
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Maybe I should clarify...I want to handle/fondle one before I buy...

As far as ugly goes...so are my Glocks...gotta love 'em, though!
    CT Lasers

Ape
    I didn't see anyone mention the fact that the new TS model also has LRHO now. And the 300 price tag is a bit steep. I see them regularly for closer to 200.

And I wont even get into how ALL of my Hi Points are as reliable as any of my higher end guns. ;)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd rather have a marlin camp gun in 9mm or 45 acp but they are hard to find and pricey when you do. I've come across high points with optics for $265 your
    choice of 9mm or 45acp.This would be the perfect truck carbine for close up.
    You can't find any cheap SKS anymore so this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    I just saw the new Hi Point 9mm carbine TS or target model at Dunhams Sports, maybe I'm easily impressed but I was "Pitchin Tent" , after a couple minutes of handling (caressing,fondling etc) it at the firearms counter. They still are a little ruff looking but, I think I might need one. I would appreciate any input on this weapon. Dunhams had a sticker price of $325 on it, but I'm sure it can be had at a better price, and I just happen to have an open slot in my weapon safe

i don't have first had experience with the carbine but i have one of their .380 pistols and it's a decent gun, true it isn't very pretty and it's heavy but it works. I wouldn't trust my life to it but it is fun to shoot.

As a whole they're a great company with great 1 on 1 service (i had to send in my pistol for a slide issue and they fixed it and sent back with 2 mags for the inconvenience with a handwritten note, pretty nice). They just don't have the quality checks right now but they're moving in the right direction.

From the prices other guys are saying they got one for if you got it within those prices it'd be a fun gun to own just not something i would use for person protection.

Just my $.02
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

As far as ugly goes...so are my Glocks...gotta love 'em, though!
    Hey now! Them's fightin' words...
    Glocks aren't ugly, they just don't spend time and $$ on pointless aesthetics like all the 1911 knock-offs... (that should stir up some)

<< that would be me getting chewed out by 1911 fans.

As for Hi-points, a friend had the .45. Only negative I can say is I didn't like the safety switch.

Edit: I pick up my .357 EAA Windicator from layaway next week. Now if Hi-point comes out with a .357 carbine...
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The 995's are an absolute blast (pun intended) to shoot. They are inexpensive, eat whatever you feed them and like a Timex, they take a licking and keep on ticking.

If you do have a problem, Hi-Point will fix it - FREE. They have the best lifetime gaurantee out there.

I sold mine recently simply because there was something else I need the money for.

That price seems on the high side, but lately even being able to find one has been difficult.
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links