Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED - Page 3

Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED

This is a discussion on Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 10thmtn Maybe I should clarify...I want to handle/fondle one before I buy... As far as ugly goes...so are my Glocks...gotta love 'em, ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Maybe I should clarify...I want to handle/fondle one before I buy...

As far as ugly goes...so are my Glocks...gotta love 'em, though!
    Totally agree with you! haha
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Indeed!

My thinking is that my wife (petite) would have an easier time with a Sub 2000 (recoil) than my 870 shotgun or even my Mini 14.

Plus, much cheaper to shoot, mags would be compatible with my handguns, and I don't have many places to shoot at a longer range anyway...so a pistol caliber carbine starts to make some sense.

I'd like to see one one in person, though, before I plunk the money down on one.
    10thmnt

I think you will get a real kick out of the KT Sub2K. I had a real weak moment many years ago and traded my S2K Beretta (9m) grip for a P32 for my wife. I shoulda just shelled out the cash at the time and kept the Sub2000. Funny thing, when I bought it used I happened to be digging through the boxes of holsters and stuff in the shop, and lo and behold I dug out a rectangular fake leather "gun rag" that was about 18"'x10"....I have no idea what it was made for... the folded Subbie fit into it perfectly. The whole thing, with a couple of loaded mags, would fit in most any crevase in my vehicle. Even with my really bad eyes, I could eat up a paper plate at 25 yards offhand. Since then, I scored a LNIB Beretta CX4 Storm that is a total dream, but I still want my old Subbie in the ragged out zipper bag behind the seat of my truck.

But, then again, I would have no problem with a HiPoint rifle for a pistol round carbine. Their unconditional warranty has to be the best in the market... and a "fun gun" is still a "fun gun".

As for the Camp Carbine... they are great looking firearms, and I always thought I wanted one. About the same time I was playing with the KT Sub2000, one of my running buddies popped up with a LNIB Camp Carbine and challenged me to a "shoot off". I don't know what weight bullets he was using, but every round tumbled and key-holed into about a 10 inch group from sand bags on the bench at 50 yards. I punched 6 inch groups with the cheezy Sub 2K, and made nice round holes.

Some guns are just plain fun, whether practical or not!

surv

dang, I love guns

Sorry for the highjack...

Does the Sub 2000 lock the bolt open when the mag is empty?
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar

nope...no last round hold open, but the charging handle can be rotated into a notch manually to lock the bolt back

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    nope...no last round hold open, but the charging handle can be rotated into a notch manually to lock the bolt back
    *sigh* That figures. Probably due to the ability to make them take so many different pistol mags. I prefer any firearm potentially used for defensive purposes to have a last-round bolt hold-open. Just a personal preference. Still will consider one, though. Thanks for the info.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member

It doesn't allow a slide lock (emergency) reload. Counting rounds becomes difficult for me when I run out of fingers and toes, so I can do a tactical reload (before I hear a click instead of a bang) under cover.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Hi Point 995 TS

Just bought mine OTD for $210.00 last month. Only have had about 500 rds through it. It worked every time. It's a inexpensive carbine and the thing really is fun to kill pumpkins at 50 yards. You'll read alot of blogs that say they are chheap and ugly. So what pony up a couple
    hundred buck a have a good time.

Having worked at several different gun shops and seen the kind of cheap crap that is on the market, I have never been a fan of HiPoint. But, having said that, I have heard some really good things about their carbine and very few, if any, bad things about it.

I have held one and it really surprised me with the ergonomic feel. That was the original stock and I now see that they have redesigned it. Very nice.

I hope it is a great shooter for you and I hope it makes a great home defense rifle! Love the pics that everyone posted!

Quote Originally Posted by thylordjj View Post

I love mine...It has never jammed in over 5k rounds... IMHO its better then some guns costing 4 times what I paid for it... paid $165 with a hard shell case out the door, and added a $40 red dot and $49 after market stock.
    By the way, does anyone know where I can find a $40 red dot sight? Any other suggestions on red dot sights that are not in the $300 range?
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I think that the $40 red dots won't hold up very well, but if you go up to ~$100 or so, UltraDot makes very good red dots.

SOG has the new TS for 213 plus shipping. and they have last roung hold open. with a little time they can look awesome:

Ape
    Looks great tj!
    Just remember they're junk and wont last. So don't trust your life to that Hi Point.

whats up ape? wondered if id ever run into a HPT member elsewhere. Thats NOT my 995TS

Ape
    Quote Originally Posted by tjsjr View Post
    whats up ape? wondernt if id ever run into a HPT member elsewhere. Thats NOT my 995TS
    So you're a theif huh? lol

Ya I peruse here ocassionally. Hard to avoid all the HP haters here though. Lot's of pseudo snobbery so I don't participate much.

Ahh haters are everywhere. their loss. wish i still had my ATIed 995

Ape
    Just get yourself a new TS and sport it out. Then you can ATI another one later and still have less into it than a CX4!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links