Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED - Page 4

Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED

This is a discussion on Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; They are accurate, reliable, and a kick in the butt to shoot. The down side is that it is not easy to find one, and ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED

They are accurate, reliable, and a kick in the butt to shoot. The down side is that it is not easy to find one, and nearly impossinle to find one at a reasonable price. I would love to find a used one, but them that got ain't selling.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Well, I have an opinion. I have a Hi-Point in an ATI stock. I bought it for fun with the boys. The gun itself is a blast to shoot and it's really compact and small. The new version locks back after the last round and that's a nice feature. The BIGGEST negative in my opinion isn't the gun itself but the magazines.

Out of all that I've purchased, I only have one mag that's been reliable and that was only after I messed with the feed lips. On the other's I could never get them to be reliable. Not only are the mags notoriously un-reliable, you can't get any hi cap mags. Promag does make a 15 round mag but a quick search shows that just about every post on the net about the 15 round promags has to do with the fact that they don't work.

My 995 is rugged, crude, and utterly reliabel but in my own experience, the magazines are the weak spot and for a semi auto carbine that's a bad thing.

For a range/plinker they're great. but, if you can afford it, I would STRONGLY recommend you look for a used Berretta. I believe they'er likely to be more reliable, the fit and finish is 1000% better and you can easily get reliable mags, both regular and hi capacity.

If you tend to care more about how your guns look or you might consider this for self defense, then I think you're better off saving up and getting it. Personally, I think I would consider a Marlin 1894C in .357 as an effective pistol caliber carbine before I would go this route again but they're next to impossible to find.

I still enjoy mine and it is an absolute blast to shoot but you really need to be honest with yourself on what you're getting it for.

Again, they're crude, cheap, and they ARE reliable but the mags are finicky and cheap. If you can get 3 or 4 good mags that all work then you're in business.

Serious weapon? No, great firearm for it's price? YES.

Just be realistic about what you're getting and why your getting it.

[B] I own a HiPoint 45. it shoots well, no jams More accurate than I am!
    Big, ugly and clumsy----but hell, so am I!

Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine

i just purchased this rifle about a week ago from Cabella's for about $240. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet but might be going to the range today to try it out. I will definetly let you know how it shoots and the pro's and cons of it. But as far as i know, I've never heard anything negative about Hi Points jamming up or anything like that.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    As someone who owns many "high end" firearms I know what a quality weapon is. That being said while I would not care to own a Hi Point handgun, the Hi Point 995 carbine is a fun, handy and reliable small rifle. I also own a Kel Tec Sub 2000 and a Marlin Camp 9. Yes I like handgun caliber carbines. Why you ask......they are fun, plain and simple and thats what I like to have when I shoot. These carbines make fun builds and lots of accesories are avalible. They are ugly little buggers but oh so fun and they do make good HD guns if pressed into that role. Each of these has its pluses and minuses but they all are fun plinkers and as you know 9mm ammo performs pretty well from cabine lenght barrels.
    While these are not hi powered rifles by any means, for social work, the excellent Cor-Bon 9mm +P hollow point ammo is a good choice. It averaged 1551 feet-per-second velocity from the sixteen inch barrel. I would not feed them regularly with +P ammo but for HD work its a good choice. Even with stardard power 9mm rounds which are relatively flat out to 100 yards you can easily hit a man sized target and usually keep the rounds in an 8" circle at this distance or even out to 125 with a little bit of holdover. With a little practices its easy with these rifles. And with a red dot mounted you can put a lot of rounds on target very fast since recoil is not an issue and accurate followup shots are easy. So for a HD or truck gun with several mags at your disposal you have a good bit of firepower.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have three of the 995s, including the new TS. Was on the range again yesterday and as an MSNBC talking head would say, I got thrills running up my leg! These thing are quite accurate. I have Red Dots on 2 of them (and adding a Barska Red Dot to the third. (Forget lasers, IMHO). Even iron sights were accurate, but my eyes are getting bad enough that red dots are necessary (plus I find they really help me with target reaquisition. As to the Marlin Camp Carbine, never fired one, but $200-$275 vs. $600-$650... Plus the lifetime warranty of Hi Point!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dahed View Post
    As to the Marlin Camp Carbine, never fired one, but $200-$275 vs. $600-$650... Plus the lifetime warranty of Hi Point!
    I purchased the Marlin Camp 9 in the photo in VG to exc. condition 2 years ago for $295 at a pawn shop.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Merry Christmas to me! Stopped at my favorite local gun shop to buy a cheap 45. While they were doing the paperwork I saw the one and only 995ts they had. After touching and fondling it, I bought both. Haven't fired either, have to wait to unwrap them for Christmas, look surprised, then run off to the range. The TS came with a laser sight. They were asking $425. After the grinding, groveling, begging and threats ended I got it for $375 including the laser, compensator, and front grip. don't think I got screwed too badly. Can't wait to fire it! Bought 1200 rounds of Winchester 9mm to make it dirty.

Awesome

Ape
    Congrats screwball! That price is a bit high in my area....But you'll love the fun you get out of that TS I'm sure!

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I can now say I've shot and handled the Hi-Point 9mm.

A friend of mine recently got one for around $250. I went down to his place to do some deer hunting and before hunting we went to a different location and shot it for about an hour. It's a pretty fun little pop gun with more than decent accuracy. I wouldn't mind having one to play around with or keep in the truck.

Later that night we ate some deer that he had shot with it 4 days prior. Yum Yum! They will definitely take down a deer at about 35 yards.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Paid 250 for mine and after a few hundred rounds its still accurate and reliable. I would buy another one,,,,,and I did the wife wanted one. Both are good guns...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have a 995 with an ATI Stock. Here's the bottom line:

Pro's
    -Dirt Cheap to buy
    -Mine has been 100% reliable
    -Fun gun that feels good and has little recoil

Con's
    -Cheap gun and looks it
    -Terrible Trigger
    -Mags are terrible; they're definitely the weak point of the whole thing. I have one, exactly one mag that works perfectly, every other OEM mag I've bought has problems. They all tend to work if loaded one or two rounds light.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd save my money and get a Berretta CX4 in 9mm.

For a fun gun/range plinker I think they're an outstanding value but I wouldn't choose to use mine in any serious role.

The new 995TS stocks are a REAL improvement over the old ones and the bold holds open on the last round (it doesn't on the original 995's like mine) which is a nice feature. The new stock reduces some of the "slap" you get with the original and has mounting rails for accessories.

The ATI Stock you can buy aftermarket feels better but it's fit and finish is borderline a joke and you have to buy a seperate butt plate/pad to go with the ATI or it's so slick you can hardly mount it.

Good news is many can afford to get this gun and mess around with it. If in the end you decide you don't like it, it's easy to get rid of and recoupe some money.

There's a guy named Bushman Parts (google it) that makes and sells some aftermarket parts like a larger bolt handle and a top rail that makes the 995 better but again, when you're done getting it all gussied up you're over half way home to a new Berretta Storm.

One other good point is that young shooters really seem to like the 995. It fits them, looks cool and is less expensive to shoot than many rifles and has very modest recoil.

So go for it but don't expect more than what it is.

Gideon

Hi Point 995

I have the opportunity to pick up a 9MM Hi Point 995 carbine at a very low price. ($225 with laser and 1 each 10 & 15 rd mags)

I plan to go out and shoot it after the weekend, but wondered if anyone here has had or shot one and if there were any opinions available one way or the other.

I have to say the price and the "lifetime transferable warranty" make it attractive.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links