Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED - Page 5

Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED

This is a discussion on Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've never even seen a HP in person, but a common meme I hear is that the pistols are crap, but the carbines run like ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hi Point 995 TS 9mm carbine Pros & Cons?: MERGED

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I've never even seen a HP in person, but a common meme I hear is that the pistols are crap, but the carbines run like a Timex... seems the HP carbine owners above give some support to that notion.

Sure looks fun... especially Landor's setup...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Thanks for merging this...believe it or not I looked for a thread.

Guess the old eyes are doing it again.

After reading the opinions, I am looking forward to Monday and this lump of cash in my pocket is getting heavy. Maybe I'll find time tomorrow...

They are good rifles for the money and you can't beat the lifetime guarantee. I put a good quality 1-4x24 CQ illuminated dot scope & rings on mine that cost more than the rifle. I removed the barrel rail and free floated the barrel.

GC

Mic
    HP carbines are fun shooters and a good starter gun for the kidies but can be had for around $150-180, spend some time shoping befor you buy
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    As a follow-up to my earlier post, I can now say I've shot and handled the Hi-Point 9mm.

A friend of mine recently got one for around $250. It's a pretty fun little pop gun with more than decent accuracy. I wouldn't mind having one to play around with or keep in the truck.
    Thats basically what everybody says after shooting one.

Here is the thing with Hi Point guns.....the pistols are made with zinc alloy (Zimac) and have massive bolts because they are a blowback design and for firearms with a blowback design in any caliber larger than .380 the bolt has to be overly large to handle the pressures. Thats why the pistol are ugly, overly large and have bad ergonomics. Now the carbine on the other hand are a blowback design and also has a very large bolt but in a small rifle thats not an issue. The parts that count are all steel and my gun has held up to many thousands of round of 9mm. They are what they are, and what they are is great fun and thats the bottom line.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    If they could improve the quality of the mags for these little carbines they'd fix the weakest part of the whole platform. ProMags makes a 15 rounder but the nearly unanimous reviews are that none of those work.

IF they made better oem mags and you could find a reliable 15 round mag then this little carbine would be good for more than just fun plinking.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    If they could improve the quality of the mags for these little carbines they'd fix the weakest part of the whole platform. ProMags makes a 15 rounder but the nearly unanimous reviews are that none of those work.

IF they made better oem mags and you could find a reliable 15 round mag then this little carbine would be good for more than just fun plinking.

Gideon
    All five of my HP OEM 10 rounders function 100% reliably. Anything made by Promag is crap.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Ape
    I do have a couple of Pro Mag 15 rounders that I managed to make work reliably. But it's not a job for the impatient. Their mags suck and it amazes me that they're still in business selling such sub standard products.
    However with some patience and a dremel and little bit of know how you can make the 15 rounders work well.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Thats basically what everybody says after shooting one.

Here is the thing with Hi Point guns.....the pistols are made with zinc alloy (Zimac) and have massive bolts because they are a blowback design and for firearms with a blowback design in any caliber larger than .380 the bolt has to be overly large to handle the pressures. Thats why the pistol are ugly, overly large and have bad ergonomics. Now the carbine on the other hand are a blowback design and also has a very large bolt but in a small rifle thats not an issue. The parts that count are all steel and my gun has held up to many thousands of round of 9mm. They are what they are, and what they are is great fun and thats the bottom line.
    Isnt every pistol made a blowback design? For that matter every semi auto gun, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF GAS OPERATED GUNS IE: sks, ak, ar, etc. Just wondering cause i see that term used alot and always thought, "isnt that a moot point". Is a 1911, glock, sw, whatever not a "blowback design"?

Quote Originally Posted by tjsjr View Post
    Isnt every pistol made a blowback design? For that matter every semi auto gun, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF GAS OPERATED GUNS IE: sks, ak, ar, etc. Just wondering cause i see that term used alot and always thought, "isnt that a moot point". Is a 1911, glock, sw, whatever not a "blowback design"?
    No, every pistol is not a blowback, in fact most guns 9mm and larger use recoil actions which is very different and more complex than blowback designs. The short recoil / locked breech action dominates the semi auto pistols market in general, and 1911's, Glocks and most any pistol with a few exceptions with a larger caliber than .380 are recoil operated. The 1911 uses (John M. Browning) recoil operated tilting barrel design, with locking lugs.

Thanks for clarity :D

I have one and I love it! Great fun on the range. I just wish they would hurry up and offer the carbine in 45ACP.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tjsjr View Post
    Thanks for clarity :D

This explains the differences between a blowback and recoil/locked breech design better than I can.

Blowback vs locked actions (John Bercovitz)

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Actually...the 9mm will penetrate more walls in a house than a .223.
    some while it may be good for home defense...it is not for penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My gun could be yours ugly twin sister,the aftermarket stock improves the cosmetics and mine is very accurate,they make great Home defense carbines,not as much over penetration worries like an AR15 or AK and they are very light.The 995 is good value for the money
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    I have one and I love it! Great fun on the range. I just wish they would hurry up and offer the carbine in 45ACP.
    I saw on Hi-Points site that the 40 is to be released in March, and the 45 is due out in May

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links