Low power scope for a Rem 7400

This is a discussion on Low power scope for a Rem 7400 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for a bday gift for my wife. She uses a Remington 7400 3006 for deer and is complaining she can't see em w' ...

Thread: Low power scope for a Rem 7400

I'm looking for a bday gift for my wife. She uses a Remington 7400 3006 for deer and is complaining she can't see em w' the iron sights like she used to. She saw a Swarovski 1.7-10x42 that she fell in love with but 2k is way more then I want to go. I was looking at the Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20, the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42, Leupold VX-I 2-7x33, Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5x32.

I am open to others, but I want good glass, low power, long eye relief for quick shots, small and light enough not to make the carbine even heavier and less the $300. I have to buy mount and rings, so any suggestions there would also be helpful.

This will be her first rifle scope, so I want to do it right the first time.

Thanks
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Of the ones you mentioned:
    Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5x20 -- I'd pass on this one. Too small of an objective lens for light gathering in dawn/dusk shooting situations.

Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 -- Should be a good scope but if you're planning on the BDC reticle, you really need to find one and let her look through it first. I just bought a 8X32X50 Nikon with their BDC reticle and the stadia lines are huge. May not be a problem on deer sized game but I bought mine for precision shooting on one of my varmint rifles and the size of the stadia lines will keep me from buying another one.

Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 -- Hard to go wrong with a Leupold and this one may be your best choice.

Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5-4.5x32 -- Don't have personal experience with the 3200 series but I have a 4200. Beautiful scope. Bright, clear, precise. Should be a good choice.

For rings, my favorite rings are the Burris Signature Zee rings. Swiveling polymer insert that relieves stress on your scope. Very solid mount.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

kpw
    How about a fixed 4X? Lightweight, rugged and 4.5" eye relief. This Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SII Series - SII 4x32 and a Leupie 6x42 are my favorite scopes.

I like the Talley one piece mounts. Simple, rugged setup.
    Last edited by kpw; September 15th, 2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

If the only problem she has is seeing the sights consider one of the red dot sights. I use the Bushnell Holographic and love it. Remember to keep both eyes open when using these types of sights. They're designed to give you unlimited eye relief, instant sight aquisition, excellent peripheral vision, and the lenses are usually ground so that no matter where in the aperture you see the dot the bullet will impact at that point.

Links