Would like some perspectives.....

This is a discussion on Would like some perspectives..... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, got my MTs sold, so I've got about $600 to fritter away. I want a new shotgun. My first SG was a Moss 590, ...

Okay, got my MTs sold, so I've got about $600 to fritter away. I want a new shotgun. My first SG was a Moss 590, lo many moons ago. Competent, but not real exciting. Advantage: (I'm looking at the 590A1s) relatively cheap and durable. ($350-450)

I've owned a couple of 870s. Much smoother, nice, but never really fired me up.(From $325-550, depending on options)

Winchester 1300/FN police- Had a 1300. Really my all-time favorite; slick action, no hiccups, nice configuration. Con: FN and parts. As stated in other places, some have had more breakage with the 1300s, and while I love my BHP, I'm not the biggest fan of FN, and they seem a bit unclear as to their course, with the line, so....(around $300, here or through CDNN)

Benelli M3- Damn. I wish I'd never sold it! No way, with the funds available.

Now: the Ithica mod 37 LE. Now available, factory direct, for $560. 8 shot, comes with the PSI made rear ghostring, and TruGlo front. Parkerized, all steel. Takes a Teflon over park finish like ducks take to water. Bottom eject.

I think its obvious what I want. Anyone have any cons? My main hang up is the $$- I hoped to pickup some more Seecamp and BHP mags and some ammo, if I bought in the $400-450 range. The 37LE has the GRs I like already, and dosen't tempt me to go balls-to-the-wall mall-ninja with it, though.
    I can still get my mags and ammo, it will just be over the next 3 months, vs 3 days. Thoughts....?

There are still deals to be had on used Benelli's! That would be my first choice. I also like the Beretta semi that's the police model. I flat out don't like pump shotties.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Administrator

Ithaca Model 37

My favorite shotgun.
    I shoot it extremely well.
    It "points" real nice.
    It's a super tough shotgun.
    It feeds anything flawlessly & forcefully.
    Ejection is super positive.
    The Super~Tough receiver is milled/machined from a solid block of gun steel.
    The bottom ejection is Very Nice.

Problems: - Not very many add-ons available.
    The factory wood stock feels a tiny bit beefy AKA (thick in the grip area) to me.
    The Choate Machine & Tool folding stock would be a NICE addition for it.

I can't think of anything that I don't like about it.
    I have the RIOT/POLICE DSPS Barrel on mine.
    Mine is an old one that does not have the disconnect on it so if you keep the trigger pulled it fires every time you run the pump forward.
    A fun (goofing around) feature but, not a necessary function.

Mine has these really stupid looking roll marked geese on the receiver that look like flying HEINZ Ketchup Bottles With Wings ...but, who cares.
    You'll not go wrong with one.

I'm a big fan of 870s, especially the older ones before they started using plastic trigger housings and safeties. But the Ithicas bottom ejection seems like a feature I'd really like.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    There are still deals to be had on used Benelli's! That would be my first choice. I also like the Beretta semi that's the police model. I flat out don't like pump shotties.
    Yeah, yeah, rub it in! The realities of life biteth mine arse, so I ended up with an 870 Special, for $335 OTD. MMC Grs, Vang safety and SS follower, and SGT sidesaddle, possibly a Choate
    stock as well(a new toy is no fun if you can't build it up a bit!). I can't throw 9 rounds downrange in 4 seconds with it, but I don't feel "under-armed"!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Mine has these really stupid looking roll marked geese on the receiver that look like flying HEINZ Ketchup Bottles With Wings
    :D I've got the same model :D

Does your have the high viz front sight?

Love that old gun, best pump shotty I've ever used.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My advise is pickup a police trade inn 870 , then spend the extra $$ on 1. a cheap new gun , and 2. take momma out LOL

Links