AR calibers?

AR calibers?

This is a discussion on AR calibers? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; AR style Rifle in .308 or 7.62x39...

Thread: AR calibers?

AR calibers?

AR style Rifle in .308 or 7.62x39

BAC
    Uh, how many ARs are there in 7.62x39? I think Del-Ton sells a kit for it, or used to, and Colt made one once upon a time but doesn't anymore. Google tells me Double Star makes one in that caliber. Olympic probably still makes an upper in that caliber. None of them seemed to solve the 'needs good mags' problem, though, and ARs tend not to like dirty Commie ammo as much. Let us know if you find anything, though!

ARs in .308 Win are becoming a little more popular in terms of who makes them (though something is still lost in translation and they aren't quite as reliable as their .223 Rem and 5.56x45 counterparts). Good mags exist for these, at least, and soon to be better ones once Magpul releases their polymer .308 mags (>$20 apiece, eat your heart out SR-25 mag hoarders!).

What do you want the rifle for (what do you plan to do with it, and what do you expect from it)?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Just looking for a defensive semi in something more potent than 5.56

BAC
    More potent? Why do you think either caliber will give you a noteworthy gain over the 5.56? The Russian round in particular is known for poor terminal performance...

Is it safe to assume we're talking about in-the-house distances?

-B

6.5 or 6.8 or 9mm? - you don't have to get a larger/heavier lower.

Based on my research and understanding the .223 is not nearly as powerful as the 7.62, If that's not the case, please elaborate, I am here to learn. I have no specific scenario in mind, just an overall defensive rifle.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    You can get an AR upper in .458, 50 Beowulf, just about anything that will feed through the lower magwell.

How much do you want to spend is probably a good question for narrowing it down some.

BAC
    According to your research, is there a significant difference in terminal ballistics between a .308, 7.62x39, and 5.56x45 at across-the-room distances? The US Army already found that answer to be "no" regarding common military ammo, so I would be curious to see if your findings differ.

The permanent wound cavities created by FMJ 5.56x45s are generally bigger than those by FMJ .308s at close distances, with FMJ .308s creating bigger permanent cavities at distances past the effective range of the 5.56x45. Of the three, the 7.62x39 has the smallest permanent wound cavity across all distances.

However, since you and I aren't limited to JAG-approved ammo to protect our homes with, this obviously expands our options to hollow point and soft point bullets. With these options now available, there is an increase in nearly all rounds' terminal effectiveness. Keep in mind that external ballistics, muzzle control, muzzle flash/report, and weapon size and weight all factor how suitable a given caliber will be to home defense. Cops and soldiers would be armed pretty differently if they were solely concerned with terminal ballistics.

-B

I have an upper in 7.62x39,one problem with this upper is they use a regular AR15 223 bolt and ream it out to take the 7.62 case resulting in thinner material at the bolt face,I have put about 1000 rounds thru my upper in about 3 years and had to replace the bolt due to a locking lug breaking off,after further review I became aware this seems to happen a lot,replacement bolts are over $60.00 a piece.I have several AR15's in 5.56 that have thousands of rounds thru them with no broken bolts ever.I am considering removing the 7.62x39 barrel and converting to 5.56 and selling the barrel since my mini 30 doesn't have the bolt issues
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    my gun shop buddy just ordered a .243 upper for a customer. Personally I would prefer the AR10 in .308 rather than .243, but the guy is one of those that thinks it best to keep all his rifles in a single caliber, and .243 is what he and his wife hunt with.

surv

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    According to your research, is there a significant difference in terminal ballistics between a .308, 7.62x39, and 5.56x45 at across-the-room distances? The US Army already found that answer to be "no" regarding common military ammo, so I would be curious to see if your findings differ.

The permanent wound cavities created by FMJ 5.56x45s are generally bigger than those by FMJ .308s at close distances, with FMJ .308s creating bigger permanent cavities at distances past the effective range of the 5.56x45. Of the three, the 7.62x39 has the smallest permanent wound cavity across all distances.

However, since you and I aren't limited to JAG-approved ammo to protect our homes with, this obviously expands our options to hollow point and soft point bullets. With these options now available, there is an increase in nearly all rounds' terminal effectiveness. Keep in mind that external ballistics, muzzle control, muzzle flash/report, and weapon size and weight all factor how suitable a given caliber will be to home defense. Cops and soldiers would be armed pretty differently if they were solely concerned with terminal ballistics.

-B
    So true! That cracked me up!
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I really found this site helpful: AR15.com Ammo Oracle.

Also keep in mind that if you are buying defensive ammo like Hornady's TAP in .223 Rem, you've got a different animal than military ball anyway. If you've got a situation where you need longer ranges, maybe .308 is a good idea, but .223 seems plenty good enough out to a few hundred yards from my reading.

(Disclaimer: I live in a townhouse, so my EBR is entirely for sporting purposes. )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Sponsored Links