Looking to purchase an AR type.

This is a discussion on Looking to purchase an AR type. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now, I have other rifles...but not a AR species. I had an M&P AR but the trigger broke in peices after about two mags same ...

Thread: Looking to purchase an AR type.

Looking to purchase an AR type.

Now, I have other rifles...but not a AR species. I had an M&P AR but the trigger broke in peices after about two mags same day I baught it...I took it back and got my M1A.

Now I'm in the market for an AR type rifle....but was lookin to keep the same ammo class as my M1A...the .308/7.62x51

I stumbled upon the FNAR which really has me rubbing my chin and eye balling it intensely.

Does any one have any first hand exp. on this? I really like the look and build of this firearm.

opinions?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    One of my coworkers as the FNAR, it uses a proprietary magazine which is costly at around $45+/-. It MUST have an optic as there is no forward point to mount a front sight. It shoots nice, but I think I'd rather have an Armalite AR10 or DPMS in .308 Sportical. If I recall, the Armalite can use modified M1A mags, that might be of benefit to you.

Also, the FNAR isn't really an "AR type" it's actually more of a lightweight M1A/M14 with a pistol grip.

GunBlast has a decent write up on it HERE.

AH...thanks...ok. Yeah it seemes to have the "battle rifle" action to it like my M1. I'm not a fan of proprietary stuff on firearms....none flexable mag types. The must have optics isn't something I would care for.

Are the DPMS's of fair quality?

JD
    Administrator
    For ARs in .308, the selection is rather limited, I know Hotguns has one, I forget which type.

Gotta run.

VIP Member
    I have read good reviews of several DPMS 7.62N ARs, and Armalite has been doing it for a long time. Noveske used to make them, if price isn't a priority you could try to find one of those (but good luck...) If you want to spend even more time and money, Knights Armament makes them as well.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

BAC
    Armalite's been doing the .308 gun game for a while, but people don't seem to like them that much compared to other ARs in the same caliber. None of the .308 ARs I've seen were Armalite rifles, and they certainly don't have the customer following of other rifles.

DPMS... well, folks seem to like their DPMS rifles, but nobody really shoots them a lot so it's hard to get a good feel for how well they hold up. I realize folks aren't made of money and that .308 isn't the cheapest to shoot, but it's something to consider. I can't personally recommend DPMS until they work on their business practices (over a year on a rather large group buy, with no return calls or emails, is unacceptable).

GAP makes a .308 AR that everyone who touches loves, if you can swing the cash.

JTAC Supply used to make a .308 AR, but I don't know if they do anymore. That might be a custom thing.

KAC is currently back selling 7.62 civilian guns. They have the SR-25 in a few flavors (a special edition "USMC type Mk11 Mod1", SR-25 Special Lightweight Match, a 16" carbine coming soon, etc.), their M-110, and maybe others. Give 'em a ring and ask what's available.

LaRue is coming out with their OSR really soon.

LWRC is also coming out with a .308 piston gun (REPR) really soon.

I'm not sure if Noveske is still making their .308 guns, but they're always worth a phone call if only for good conversation.

POF also makes one, but I know nothing at all about it. Another name to look up I suppose.

That's all I can remember right now, hope it helps.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

JD
    Administrator
    I gotta' add one more to BAC's list, and this is what I would probably go with:

Fulton Armory

Fulton Armory UPC (Universal Precision Carbine)

Links