Contemplating an AR-15...

Contemplating an AR-15...

This is a discussion on Contemplating an AR-15... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm considering purchasing an AR-style Rifle (or Pistol) in the near future, and being that I'm primarily a handgun guy, I'm hoping to get some ...

Question Contemplating an AR-15...

I'm considering purchasing an AR-style Rifle (or Pistol) in the near future, and being that I'm primarily a handgun guy, I'm hoping to get some input from those of you who are knowledgeable in the ways of the mighty AR. First let me say, I'm considering this purchase for two reasons; primarily for use at the range, but also as a home defense weapon as well. I've been looking at models from Bushmaster, Rock River, DPMS, and Olympic Arms; I'm not sure which I'll choose, but I must say, I'm leaning in Rock River's direction. My first question is- when considering a purchase such as this, what caliber do most of you feel is more practical, .223 or 9mm? I could use the 9mm at the range where I currently shoot (I think), but choosing the .223 would definitely necessitate a move to another range, although that's not a major issue. Second, do you feel the AR Pistols are worthy of consideration, or should I stick to the Rifles? Although the prices of Rifles and Pistols are somewhat comparable, at this point I'm leaning in the Rifle direction... but darn, those Pistols sure do look interesting. Your input is greatly appreciated in advance.
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

If it were me - and it's not - I would definitely go with a rifle. Rock River is an awesome company and making some darn accurate rifles. If you want to get a 16", take a look at the mid-length handguard (their 'elite' model). It provides longer sight radius, a more reliable gas system, and just plain looks cooler.

I'm also a fan of the flat top. Even if you don't plan to scope it - you can get the detachable hand guard and if you do plan to scope it at a later point, it's just a matter of removing the handguard.

You could always go with a kit, build your own, or tailor the upper/lower to suit your needs. The great thing about the AR is it's flexibility and 'hodge podge ability'.

Luck.

Joe

VIP Member
    +1 on Rock River Elite carbines.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    ....everyone needs at least one AR.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I like my Bushmaster.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

There have been a lot of posts on ars buying and building sorry i cant post links not feeling up to much right now

The Bushy, Rock River, DPMS, or Oly/Eagle Arms all make good stuff. You just need to make shore that you are getting a forged lower and chrome lined bore and chamber when you purchase. The best bang for the buck is most likely going to be DPMS as they are not the hotest ticket on the block right now.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    For home defense I would not reccommend a rifle.(Maybe in a farm style setting) Your home defense ranges will typically be very short(shotgun). You typically will not need 30 or so shots. You do not want the massive penetration that a rifle delivers. The shear intemidation of a shotgun is much better(although never count on that)

To me in a close,closed environment of a house/appt. the small,high cap(7or8 shot)shotgun,with a light if you see the need, is the way to go.

As for the AR's. I,at this time own 3. All of which are Bushmasters.Well... one has a SGW/Olympic Arms lower,but the rest of it is Bushmaster. I love all three. I personally would reccommend Bushmaster. ------

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    For home defense I would not reccommend a rifle.(Maybe in a farm style setting) Your home defense ranges will typically be very short(shotgun). You typically will not need 30 or so shots. You do not want the massive penetration that a rifle delivers.
    If you live in a brick house, over penetration issues (outside of the house) is less of a concern. But I agree that a shotgun loaded with buckshot is the 'defacto' house defense weapon.

OD*
    Of those you listed, I'd go with the RRA first then Bushmaster.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Carbine. No use for a pistol or a rifle here. A 16" bbl suits my needs.

Go with a 5.56 NATO chamber, so your not stuck with just .223 ammo. As I stated in another thread, chrome lining is not a requirement, but is an added plus for me. I prefer a flatop, however dont have optics on my AR. But when I get something for it, its easily mounted and cowitnessed with my iron sights (yes, I have a BUIS for it, just in case I fly mad and put a red dot on it). I dont like match triggers. For a precision rifle they're nice, but for a working gun, no thanks.

A 9mm AR is an oversized pistol. Factory Colt SMG mags are expensive and can be hard to find, cheaper promags are good for range use only. UZI mags dont lock the bolt on the last round. It is, IMO, an overpriced Kel-Tec. Before anyone tries to tell me I dont know what I'm talking about, I own a RRA 9mm. I dont have a place to shoot rifles nearby, and with simular recoil, balance, and the exact same controls, it allows me to still get AR triggertime without going to a rifle range. If not for that, I'd sell it.

A lot of people turn their nose up at Oly. They dont have the fit and finish of BM, RRA, DPMS, etc, but they work. Its kinda like comparing a Maverick 88 to a Wingmaster.

Overpenetration is less of an issue than most people think. .223 or 5.56 is less likely to over penetrate than most pistol rounds because the higher velocity causes the bullet to fragment. If it was a big issue we'd see entry teams moving away from carbines and towards SMGs, instead of the other way around.

The AR15 is a lightweight, reliable, low-recoiling, accurate rifle/carbine that's so easy to use, you could train a monkey to use one. Would I use one for HD? You bet. From home defense to zombie population control, the AR15 is, IMO, the best sport utility rifle out there.

Pretty much in line with Zach: I like the 16-20" Hbar, for a bit more accuracy, and the ability to use as a point-ram, close-in. (No, I am not a SEAL, Delta, etc., nor do I play one on TV, but I do have a good "feel" for swinging things around, giving and receiving. )

You don't need anything fancy. I can't see plain sights, so I put on XS white stripe front posts, and the BUIS rear of choice (mine was ARMS). A worthwhile addition is the OLY pneumatic buffer. Makes it a much more solid feeling, smoother shooting weapon. Smith Enterprises Vortex flash-hider, and their multi-port comp are the best on the market, and worth having, as well.

Thanks for all the responses, I'll let you know what I decide to do and will hopefully be giving a range report in the near future.
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

Flat top 5.56 carbine BM or RR with red dot & BUIS.
    NRA Instructor/RSO/Coach/Recruiter
    www.mallardspring.com
    Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, AMK, Leatherman, Condor, Maxpedition
    Forum Member 8% Discount code dccwms8

Links