Looking for a good quality shotgun

This is a discussion on Looking for a good quality shotgun within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi, I am looking for a good quality shotgun for my son. I use a remington 11-87 now. I'm looking for a 12ga that I ...

Thread: Looking for a good quality shotgun

Looking for a good quality shotgun

Hi, I am looking for a good quality shotgun for my son. I use a remington 11-87 now. I'm looking for a 12ga that I can give my son when he gets older. I'm looking to spend around $800-900 for it. Just looking for some ideas... I want wood stocks not synthetic thanks

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    Have you looked into the 870 Wingmasters? You might wanna contact SIXTO on these forums; something of a shotgun connoisseur, you could say.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

For what purpose? Trap, skeet, hunting deer, home defense, turkey hunting, bird hunting?...

For a youngster, nothing beats the safety of a single shot, break open shotgun.

For bird hunting and skeet/trap, a good double barrel is all you need.

I use a Rem 870 pump for home defense (20" barrel) and install the original 28" barrel for trap. Mine is synthetic, but they have wood as well.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    For what purpose? Trap, skeet, hunting deer, home defense, turkey hunting, bird hunting?...

For a youngster, nothing beats the safety of a single shot, break open shotgun.

For bird hunting and skeet/trap, a good double barrel is all you need.

I use a Rem 870 pump for home defense (20" barrel) and install the original 28" barrel for trap. Mine is synthetic, but they have wood as well.
    I'm looking for a all purpose gun. We dont have to many trap-skeet places around me but that isn't going to stop us from finding a field or something. We would be doing mostly hunting deer, small game, bird...I have a shotgun my son can learn on I am looking for something he can have when he gets older. Something I can use now but when the time comes it will be "his" gun. There are so many types of shotguns makes, models etc. I am looking for a good one that will stand the test of time....thanks

OK. Since you already have a Rem 11-87, I'd say get another one, if it can be had in that price range. Otherwise, a Rem 870 pump is a great bargain that will last a lifetime - and a pump will eat everything from light target loads to heavy slugs. A pump is only at a disadvantage on the skeet field, where the faster follow-up shots of a double or a semi auto rule.

Mossberg, Stoeger, etc are good as well.

Not sure about a Benelli or Beretta in that price range?

I'm sure others will have more suggestions - good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I like the Rem 1100 3" mag. A good all around gun that will surely stand the test of time.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

1100, 11-87 or any grade of 870 would nicely do the trick.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Administrator
    If it were me, I'd buy a 870 wingmaster. Its the higher end of the scale in 870's, has real wood, real blueing and he can give it to his son someday.
    It is also easy to swap barrels no matter if the quarry is deer, bird or clay.

I don't think you will be able to find a high quality double in your price range, and an auto can be a little problematic when asking it to do a little of everything.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I have a Beretta 1200 and a Remington 11-87. Both are excellent and certainly within that price range.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Agree that a classic Beretta, Benelli or Remington certainly have stood the "test of time". By the sound of your described intentions, a 870 Wingmaster nicely fits the bill. Mostly, enjoy shooting...with your son!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Without a doubt, the Remington 870 would be my first choice. You can save a little cash and get the 870 Express but wont have the nice finish. Both have the same receivers and mechanisms, different finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is also easy to swap barrels no matter if the quarry is deer, bird or clay.
    If the 870 you choose has Rem chokes, thats all you need unless you want to shoot sabot slugs. Then you would need a rifled barrel.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

All excellent suggestions so far. One other I'll throw out that you should be able to get in your price range is the Winchester SX3. I bought a SX1 in 1975 and just recently passed it on to my son. In over 30 years of use, I've never even had to change an o-ring. It still remains the finest auto-loading shotgun I've ever owned (now have a Benelli SBE and a Benelli M1-S90).

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Links