A little more info on Remmington 870 Marine Magnum please!

This is a discussion on A little more info on Remmington 870 Marine Magnum please! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will be purchasing a home defense weapon soon as I want to be ready for when things get heavy. The Remmington 870 Marine Magnum ...

Thread: A little more info on Remmington 870 Marine Magnum please!

A little more info on Remmington 870 Marine Magnum please!

I will be purchasing a home defense weapon soon as I want to be ready for when things get heavy. The Remmington 870 Marine Magnum really peaked my interest because of it's nickel plating which is supposed to keep it from being damaged by the elements. Can anyone vouch for how effective this really is? I was also wondering if you can somehow paint over the nickel plating as I don't want to give away my position due to it's shininess. Last question is regarding the recoil. I've read that this thing kicks considerably more than the Mossberg 590. I'm a smaller dude so I want a weapon with little recoil for follow-up shots. Thanks in advance guys.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Unless you live on the beach or plan on keeping the shotgun on a boat, I really wouldn't be all that concerned with the marine mag. Spend the extra cash on a Police model instead.

As far as recoil... no real difference. Shooting the same ammo out of a like weight and barrel length will not create a recoil difference that matters.
    "Just blame Sixto"

But...it looks so cool....LMAO JK I agree with Sixto. Step up to a Police model. They are built a little heavier duty and will stand up to anything YOU will throw at it just as a HD weapon.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

BTW...welcome to the forum from the OTHER Virginia...I have a friend who lives in Woodbridge.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Yep, the Marine 870 nickle finish IS environmentally more durable. But, unless saltwater exposure is expected, a well-maintained factory 870 blued finish does just fine. You can "paint" over either, but why? Recoil difference between a Rem 870 & Mossy 590 is moot. Hogue makes some aftermarket, recoil-reducing stock designs for both if it's an issue. Pro trainers suggest the best way to tame recoil is to push foward (not pull backwards) with your left-hand gripping the pump. Try it, it'll surprise you with the effect on follow-up shots.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Welcome.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! I want to paint or coat the nickel areas with something dark so it doesn't reflect as much though I must agree that it does look awsome. I think I'm still going to get the Marine Magnum as you never know when you'll find yourself in a position where you are forced to put your gun through rigorous conditions so I would like to play it safe.

To Jwhite: West Virginia was where I developed my love for firearms. I go there from time to time (Paw Paw) to my friends cabin and we shoot tons of guns as well as off roading :). Great little town with friendly people. They trip when I take off my helmet and see that I'm Asian haha.

One of my friends is a science teacher at Paw Paw HS. Small world.

Links