BPS High Capacity vs Mossburg 590

This is a discussion on BPS High Capacity vs Mossburg 590 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a lefty, so these are the only two pump shotguns I can easily use because of the tang safety. Is there anybody out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPS High Capacity vs Mossburg 590

BPS High Capacity vs Mossburg 590

I am a lefty, so these are the only two pump shotguns I can easily use because of the tang safety.

Is there anybody out there who knows both have any comments on which one to use as a home/hurricane gun.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

2. Remove Ads

I too am a lefty, so I feel your pain brother!

I got my BPS about 7-8 years ago. I had the same problems finding a good shotgun that was ambidextrous, until I found the BPS.

The fit and finish on the gun is far exceeds the price. I've seen $1000 shotguns that were not as good. All metal parts - no plastic.

I have never had a problem with feeding or ejecting shells, and the bottom ejection is sweet. I have well over a thousand shells through it and it has performed flawlessly.

Now for the bad...

The owners manual tells you not to disassemble the receiver and to take it to a gunsmith... Taking it apart isn't too difficult, getting it back together and working is another matter. I had to use every swear word I've ever heard to persuade it to go back together.

Don't believe me? Try doing a google search on "Browning BPS Disassembly" for full instructions. I've only fully torn it down twice, once when I got it and about 2 years ago. For in-between cleanings I remove the barrel and the fore stock and hang the receiver in the garage with the gun pointing downward (this way the CLP and any crud runs away from the wood stock). Next, go to town with the CLP and toothbrush. You can get the innards of the receiver pretty clean this way. I usually let it hang overnight to let the excess CLP drip off. Reassemble. This works pretty good at keeping it clean so there isn't much need for a complete tear down.

Also google "Browning BPS Reviews" to see what others think. The BPS gets very good reviews from the pros and everyday hunters. Also, all models of the BPS use the same receiver, they just change the barrel, stock, finish, etc.

Hope this helped and good luck.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Administrator
    Well, I'll probably take a little heat for this but here it goes.

The BPS is the better shotgun quality wise, there is no doubt. The fit and finish as well as materials used have it all over the Mossberg. If you intend on buying the gun and leaving it as is, I'd buy the BPS.

The Mossberg is a solid shotgun and will serve the purpose you intend it to just fine. The advantage is the Mossberg are a dime a dozen, as are parts or other add ons you might want to toss on it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Have you considered a Remington 870? I am pretty sure you can switch the safety to left handed.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

As a lefty, pick the BPS because it ejects empties out the bottom of the receiver rather than out the right-side and across your field-of-view with the potential of getting firing residue in your eyes. There's also a gunsmith (in Michigan I think?) who specializes in milling a right-side loading port in the BPS making for VERY fast drop-in, single-shell reloads for a lefty who needs one slug (or buckshot) alternative in-a-hurry! Not to mention...it's a Browning.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    As a lefty, pick the BPS because it ejects empties out the bottom of the receiver rather than out the right-side and across your field-of-view with the potential of getting firing residue in your eyes. There's also a gunsmith (in Michigan I think?) who specializes in milling a right-side loading port in the BPS making for VERY fast drop-in, single-shell reloads for a lefty who needs one slug (or buckshot) alternative in-a-hurry! Not to mention...it's a Browning.
    This is the biggest reason why I'd buy the BPS if I were left handed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is the biggest reason why I'd buy the BPS if I were left handed.
    Because of all my silly rationalizations, or because it's a...BROWNING? ('Cause that last one is all the reason I need )
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Because of all my silly rationalizations, or because it's a...BROWNING? ('Cause that last one is all the reason I need )
    Well, I'm not left handed, so its tough for me to think about all the little things that I take for granted when almost all guns are made with a right handed person in mind.

The fact that its a Browning and built right is a bonus.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm not a South-paw either. But my all-time, best shooting buddy is. So, much like a recent ex-President, "I feel his pain" & am somewhat sympathic to his pitible plight.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The fact that its a Browning and built right is a bonus.
    Picked me up a Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12 ga. 20" recently. Granted, it's not a 590 but I had to have a 'pistol grip' HD shotgun. It's nice but pistol grip shotguns aren't what they're cracked up to be, at least for me.
    The next weekend I saw a Browning BPS Hi-Cap. Fit, finish and quality seemed to me to be much better than the Mossberg. Found nothing but good reviews about. Picked it up and it is really nice. One drawback with the BPS though is that the smorgasboard of accessories for it aren't out there like they are for the Mossberg. But if you just want a straight, plain Jane top quality HD pump, you won't be dissappointed.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Mossberg 500 Cruiser 12 ga. 20"... I had to have a 'pistol grip' HD shotgun.
    When you pistol grip a Mossy shotgun, it puts my thumb wayyy too far away from the tang-mounted safety. Your results may vary.

To change an 870/1100 to left hand safety cost about $15 for the part and about 10 minutes. I am left handed and I have the mossberg, the 870 and a 1100 set-up for personal defense. Easy to use and easy to get parts / accessories.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    If you go Mossberg. I believe the 590A1 should be the preferred option. Better parts, and quality control. Sort of like the difference between the 890 express verses the police models.

The 590 I believe is basically just a 500 with a bayonet lug.

BTW: I am lefthanded and my wife's 20 gauge 500 works pretty well for me. But, there is a certain appeal for bottom ejecting that one can't ignore.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post

The 590 I believe is basically just a 500 with a bayonet lug.
    not really.

The 590 uses the Remington style barrel mounting, a heavier barrel and is generally built a bit more robust. The finish is also a heavy duty parkerizing. It was aimed at police and military buyers vs. casual homeowner type of buyers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    You should also look at used Ithaca Model 37's. Bottom eject and great shooters!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links