Defensive Carry banner

Purchasing my 2nd AR in a year

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Dane941 
#1 ·
Early this year I had to sell my first AR-15 which was the S&W M&P15 due to a debt that has since been cleared. I made the decision to sell my Romanian AK to help fund it since my AK doesn't live up to my desire for accuracy and being able to get small shot groups past 100 yards. This will be replacing my AK as my SHTF rifle so I'll definitely be keeping it this time around. It's good to know they're still available a year later after I bought my last one. I thought about getting another M&P15 but at the same time I want to try maybe a Colt LE 6920, although they're pretty much the same thing. The thread about the M&P15 exploding has me kind of iffy about buying another one.

My budget sits at around 1,300. I thought about buying maybe a complete lower or even a stripped lower and building one. I was told it is better to buy a complete rifle because with built rifles you don't get a warranty and they're considered "hobby rifles."

#2 ·
Actually the resale value of factory guns are higher,but you can build a gun for about 25 to 50% cheaper than most factory guns,I have had 0 problems with my kit guns and they are just as accurate as factory guns,so what if I don't get a warranty,I can replace any part on my gun fairly reasonable,but in 10 years the only thing I ever had to replace was the stock trigger for a match trigger.Also on a factory gun if you change anything on it IIRC you void the warranty,if you shoot reloaded ammo you void the warranty,and all I shoot at the range is reloaded ammo

#4 ·
Sub Nine,

Could you afford $1.8K?

If so I know a guy who has a _deal_ for you...

It is a piston-operated system, not gas. It has ~1k rounds through it, no tracers or hot loads. I can hold less than 1/2 MOA at 100 yds with this rig. Here is the breakdown of what I am selling:

POF-USA P-415 16" upper w/ Predator rail system
POF-USA tactical muzzle brake
POF-USA FTA-2005 hooded front sight
Knights armament KAC-98474 600M combat rear folding sight
Falcon ladder bar protector, black
Spikes Tactical MOD. SL-15 lower with multi-caliber, full auto selector switch
Magpul TR™ M4 Carbine Collapsible Buttstock – Military Model
ERGO AR15/M16 Grip Kit, SUREGRIP - Right Hand, Black
Leapers Deluxe Ergonomic AR-15 Foregrip
Gear Sector ASP single point sling, foliage green
Gear Sector GS-2P two point sling, foliage green
Gear Sector QD push button adapter, foliage green
Gear Sector SPRE-A ambidextrous Blackout sling mount

2 Magpul P-Mag 30-round magazines
5 CProducts Teflon coated 30-round magazines
10 military issue 30-round magazines

1060 rounds of 5.56mm (approx. 500 rounds GA Arms, 250 Federal XM193, 200 UMC and 110 LC)
Condor tactical gun bag
US Military issue cleaning kit w/ pouch

Asking $1850 for all of it. Prefer FTF in Northern VA, but will ship to FFL at additional cost. Photos can be seen HERE.
If interested let me know and I'll connect you to the seller.

For $500/40% more of your allocated budget, which is a lot, you would get a whole bunch more bang for your buck and it would include IIRC a fully transferable warranty as well (!).

- Janq

#5 ·
I believe the Rock River AR10's are retailing for about $1200 nib. Might be worth looking into, I hear good things from RR.

#6 ·
I built all 4 of mine. I saved money building them compared to buying one off the rack, and I built them to my liking. The first one I built cost me $420 compared to the lowest priced factory model at the time was selling for $700. Not to say you shouldn't buy a manufactured model. Go with the option you like best. Aim surplus had AR15 C-products 30rd mags for $8 last time I looked.

#7 ·
Build one! You will know your rifle better and save money for other stuff. For example, that Colt model is a great gun, but it's kind of bare bones. You could build one and get some of the extra's you will need. May I also suggest a flat top model? Once you go flat you never go back!

#8 ·
Agreed...Flat top is a no brainer, especially considering A2 style rear sights and full A2 carry handle with built in sight can be very easily added to a flat top (A3) receiver.

- Janq

#9 ·
Thanks for the advice. At this point I may go ahead and pick up either a built or stripped lower from a local dealer and have myself a long term project that I can take my time with. Should the AWB pass I don't think the components will be banned except maybe the collapsible stocks. Can I order an upper receiver and have it shipped directly to me, or does that have to go through an FFL as well?

#12 ·
As much fight and extreme difficulty the dems are having with the nationalized healthcare plan (which is arguably much less controversial in American than guns), it is now as based on that result a damn near impossibility that they would jump on the AWB bus muchless have any success at same.
I personally would not have thought same 6 months ago but now I have near zero concern for an AWB discussion from them.

Further in 2010 they have to deal with congressional seat retention which at this point for them is a serious item of concern, for them.

"The 2010 midterm election will be held on Tuesday, November 2 with at least 36 of the 100 seats in the Senate being contested and all House seats coming up for election."
Source - The 2010 Election - U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives, 2010

The idea of an AWB at this stage in the _political_ game is about as probable as Michael Jackson rising again.

IMHO.

- Janq

#11 ·
As Gumaro said, only the lower receiver needs to go through an FFL, everything else can be mailed directly to you.

That said, I built my first AR (and coincidently the first rifle I owned), during the peak of price inflation, and got it done, with BUIS, and a Pmag for 800$.

Careful though....its a sickness! I built my first one in Febuary. I'm now working on #6 and #7! It's addicting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.