Daniel Defense DDXV vs. M4 Carbine

This is a discussion on Daniel Defense DDXV vs. M4 Carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did a search on this site & could not find anything significant on the Daniel Defense line of ARs. I am considering one of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daniel Defense DDXV vs. M4 Carbine

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Daniel Defense DDXV vs. M4 Carbine

I did a search on this site & could not find anything significant on the Daniel Defense line of ARs. I am considering one of these rifles and wanted to garner some feedback on them.

As far as I could tell, the big difference between the two is that the M4 Carbine has a rail on the upper to mount various accessories to. There could be other significant upgrades, though I may have missed them.

I am particularly interested in the DDXV, assuming it can be had for right at $1,000 or so (MSRP is $1,199)....

2. Remove Ads

I've heard good things about Daniel Defense and their aftermaket accessories are first rate.

That's about the extent of my knowledge. I am planning on getting one of their railed handguards for my Colt Govt. Carbine.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Everything I've read and seen says that their rifles are top-notch. On part with Colt, Bravo Company, and LMT.

You're right, the two models are exactly the same except for the rail system.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Just bought one. I was going to go full bore and get the M4 but this is my first one and I do not know what I want, or need on it. I spoke with Grant of G and R Tactical (he had them in stock) and we decided it would be best if I bought the XV and added accessories as I decided what I liked.

If you already know you want all the bells and whistles, they are the exact same rifle, just one is more "accessorized" than the other.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Just bought one. I was going to go full bore and get the M4 but this is my first one and I do not know what I want, or need on it. I spoke with Grant of G and R Tactical (he had them in stock) and we decided it would be best if I bought the XV and added accessories as I decided what I liked.

If you already know you want all the bells and whistles, they are the exact same rifle, just one is more "accessorized" than the other.
    You know you qualify for the DD black card promotion now right? You get a $250 gift card to buy stuff from their catalog since you purchased it after 9/14/09... (unfortunately, I bought mine a week too early! ******! haha)

If you can get a DDXV for $999 plus $250 gift card...seriously that is thee BEST deal going on right now.

Here's my DDM4.

Where did you find the XV for $999? PM me if you need to thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Where did you find the XV for $999? PM me if you need to thanks!
    Not quite $999 ($1139 plus 1cent shipping ), but if you use the the DD $250 gift card for an Omega rail, you have yourself a really nice gun.

AIM Daniel Defense XV M4 Carbine .223/5.56 Rifle Daniel Defense XV M4 Carbine .223/5.56 Rifle

VIP Member
    I was just at the local shop talking about DD last night. I have heard nothing but good things about them until last night. We pulled one off the shelf and compared it to many other models. I think the only major issue we had with the rails extending past the front sights. Though it may be just the look, I personally don't like it and why add extra weight to the gun? Other then that, they seem really nice.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Check out Aim for the DD XV. Looks like and M4 to me with or without the rail.

AIM Daniel Defense XV M4 Carbine .223/5.56 Rifle Daniel Defense XV M4 Carbine .223/5.56 Rifle

Good deal on the M4 there at AIM.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    I was just at the local shop talking about DD last night. I have heard nothing but good things about them until last night. We pulled one off the shelf and compared it to many other models. I think the only major issue we had with the rails extending past the front sights. Though it may be just the look, I personally don't like it and why add extra weight to the gun? Other then that, they seem really nice.
    I didn't like the extended rail at first either. But after shooting with it, I was converted. Everyone at the range was really surprised at how LIGHT this gun is. (i'm talking lighter than guns that have a smaller rail) Also, with a more forward grip (better control) and a 12:00 light mount, the extended rail is a winner to me. I'm sure Larry Vickers knew what he was doing when he helped them spec it out. I actually like the look of it now. It's grown on me.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    I didn't like the extended rail at first either. But after shooting with it, I was converted. Everyone at the range was really surprised at how LIGHT this gun is. (i'm talking lighter than guns that have a smaller rail) Also, with a more forward grip (better control) and a 12:00 light mount, the extended rail is a winner to me. I'm sure Larry Vickers knew what he was doing when he helped them spec it out. I actually like the look of it now. It's grown on me.
    Yeah I could see it growing on you when you get used to it. It's just different look then what we are normally programed to seeing. They are nice weapon systems.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUST8383 View Post
    ...Also, with a more forward grip (better control) and a 12:00 light mount...
    Exactly why it was designed that way. I've heard lots of people talk about how it looks... Rail systems were never designed for aesthetics, they were designed to make a tool more useful. And from all reports, this rail system did just that.

Also, I don't know if it's everywhere that sells DDXVs, but I know several places are offering a $250 Black Fund Card (Daniel Defense Gift Card) with the purchase of an XV, which will buy you an Omega rail (or any rail, that one is a no-gunsmithing install)... so if you really don't like the DDM4 rail, you can get the XV and add the DD rail of your choice to it...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Mounting space further from the receiver is advantage of the extended rails. It allows a VFG/light switching to be mounted further forward. This provides for a strong stance and can speed the engagement multiple targets. I have found it to be far faster than that "HK MP5" type of stance..
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Mounting space further from the receiver is advantage of the extended rails. It allows a VFG/light switching to be mounted further forward. This provides for a strong stance and can speed the engagement multiple targets. I have found it to be far faster than that "HK MP5" type of stance..
    Yeah there are two basic schools of thought, and I tend to be on the opposite side. For example, with handguns who trains to have your arms all the way extended like the old days? Everything is in close to your body.

I tend to like the feeling of a vertical grip being fairly close myself, but I know that others like to be more extended as they tout better recoil control. I don't think of recoil as being much of a problem with an AR-15.

Again, I understand why the rail is extended, I just personally don't like the look and I don't like anything that adds weight. It has nothing to do with the quality of DD as I have heard good things about them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links