Justified concern or paranoia? - Page 2

Justified concern or paranoia?

This is a discussion on Justified concern or paranoia? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by WHEC724 ... Now also bear in mind that my wife hates guns. Half of the handguns that I own, she doesn't know ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Justified concern or paranoia?

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Now also bear in mind that my wife hates guns. Half of the handguns that I own, she doesn't know about. However, I'd feel pretty naked trying to defend my home against a coordinated effort. I've been thinking about an AR platform (.223 or .308) to address this. However, in order for me to maintain peace at home, I'd have to immediately stash it, only to be retrieved during an emergency.

My question is, am I over-thinking this and just being paranoid? Or is it really worth the $1,500 + stock-piled ammo to tuck away and never be seen until it is needed?

Am I the only one that lays awake at night and thinks about this stuff?
    Nope, I pretty much have the same exact situation here.

Administrator
    Actually folks ARE tricking out the Lever Guns for home defense purposes nowadays.

I do not think that you absolutely NEED to have an AR for SHTF scenarios and home defense.

A good higher capacity shotgun would be nice to have if you don't already have one.

I'm with Sixto; yes I do have a couple of ARs and some shotguns & handguns, but for survival I have a couple of .22 rifles, a bolt action savage and a good old stainless ruger 10/22. I also have probably 20,000 rounds of .22 ammo, much more than I keep for the other weapons. I also have a very nice pellet rifle, and RWS 350 in .22 caliber with several thousand pellets. It is more than powerful enough to hunt small game with, should I ever need to use it. As for the SHTF scenario, I have 4 backpacks loaded with first aid supplies, a 4 day supply of MREs and water. My assault vest has 10 30 round clips for the AR, and the other vest for my wife has plenty of room for shotgun shells and other ammo.

The plan is to leave the house and head out to my uncle's ranch to ride things out. The looters can have the house, thats what insurance is for.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Is it just me, or am I the only one concerned about the "hiding it and stashing it" aspect of the relationship the OP has with his spouse?

Granted, this is not "Couple's Counseling" but having to hide things is not a good way to endear yourself to your spouse. That goes for both genders. Also, why can't you have a hobby, like shooting? Golfers spend more money on a good walk spoiled by a little white ball then I spent on my AR and ammo. Why not approach the spouse with the AR from that aspect?

My wife isn't into guns either, but we are supportive of one another and have respect for each other's views. Due to her views, and concerns, I no longer leave guns stashed throughout the house. They go into the safe, except for the defensive guns I'm using that day. She lets me buy guns and ammo, within a mutually agreed upon budget.

I don't lie, cheat or steal in my job. Why would I do those things at home? I bring this up because maybe, just maybe, you can develop a supportive spouse that will let you have your hobbies, as you let her have her's. By doing that I have managed to buy and own many more nicer things than if I had used the "Hide and Stash It" approach.

Just some "food for thought".

Biker

VIP Member
    Biker - you have good points, and I wish I could take that approach. However, this does wander into marriage counseling, which is an issue unto it's own. You'll just have to take my word that I'm doing the best I can there... Mental illness is serious stuff. I hope none of you ever have to deal with that.

Biker - you have good points, and I wish I could take that approach. However, this does wander into marriage counseling, which is an issue unto it's own. You'll just have to take my word that I'm doing the best I can there... Mental illness is serious stuff. I hope none of you ever have to deal with that.
    You are in a tough boat. If things were on a more even plane, I would recommend you educating her and talking her on board. That doesn't appear to be the case though.

Since you think you can't go the AR route, make effective use of what you have. I also believe in backups. Have a backup for the lever action and appropriate levels of ammunition for each.

My thought is, a rifleman familiar with his lever gun and determined to protect his own is a serious threat to any banger intent on depriving you of your liberty and safety.

Having posted what I just did, here's another possible avenue I just thought about.

Consider trading your lever gun for an innocuous, innocent looking Mini-14. Don't deck it out with anything. Leave it in it's straight stock. Opt for the non-tactical look of wood too. And, don't get the version with the flash hider. You can definitely get by without it. Get yourself 3-5 Ruger mfg. 20 round mags but only keep the 5-round mag inserted so it doesn't "look threatening" to her.

With the Mini-14 you can have all the protection you need in a gun that doesn't "look scarey". This is a workable solution with little effort and it won't break the bank. Thoughts ?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    Having posted what I just did, here's another possible avenue I just thought about.

Consider trading your lever gun for an innocuous, innocent looking Mini-14. Don't deck it out with anything. Leave it in it's straight stock. Opt for the non-tactical look of wood too. And, don't get the version with the flash hider. You can definitely get by without it. Get yourself 3-5 Ruger mfg. 20 round mags but only keep the 5-round mag inserted so it doesn't "look threatening" to her.

With the Mini-14 you can have all the protection you need in a gun that doesn't "look scarey". This is a workable solution with little effort and it won't break the bank. Thoughts ?
    I think this is a good idea.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Prepare for the worst and pray for the best. It would not hurt to have an AR. Do what you can afford. You have a nice base to start with. Grow the ammo 1st (good barter) and if you get some extra cash, grow the guns.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

VIP Member
    Sarge45/(SIXTO) - I like the mini-14 suggestion. I will likely work that into the equation. It's ironic that money really isn't the issue - its all about balancing preparation for the worst without sending the wife off the deep end. After all, it's about keeping my eye on the goal, which is a happy and safe home environment for my family.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    A .30-.30 that you're familiar with will be much more effective than an AR-15 that you're not.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Sarge45/(SIXTO) - I like the mini-14 suggestion. I will likely work that into the equation. It's ironic that money really isn't the issue - its all about balancing preparation for the worst without sending the wife off the deep end. After all, it's about keeping my eye on the goal, which is a happy and safe home environment for my family.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.
    Good luck in your venture. That Mini will definitely do you a good job of home protection.

WHEC,

A quick question...

Is your home tactically defensible?
    Further is it tactically sensible to take an Alamo stand of defense at never mind of your home?

I know the answer for my own.
    The answer is NO to both.

Further say you need to make a decision to flee rather than stand, and you did.
    How exactly would you secure and transport all of these firearms and as by what means of conveyance?

Folks during Katrina and the LA Riots found these items out as being an item of difficulty and faulty thought planning, the very hard and in many cases expensive way.

Arms and ammo has weight and takes up a lot of space as boxed, even when broken down. Lots of ammo and arms takes up even more space and weighs a lot.

Just a thought...

- Janq

P.S. - I personally totally agree with Blackeagle's post and points in whole.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Hey Janq,

No, I'm not talking about the Alamo. Just a band of trick-or-treaters that are likely to show up and see what's in the nice, big house when there are no cops to respond. I think the term for what I'm lacking is 'over-whelming firepower'. Ain't no way I'm fleeing from a handful of dirt-bags.

Bugging-out is a whole different story, but one that I plan for as well. I already own raw parcels of land here and there. These make for good long-term investments as well.

Cheers.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    It is only paronoia if you are wrong. If you end up right, you were being perceptive.

In your situation I would go the route of a pistol caliber carbine. Particularly the kel tec sub2000.

Why? It folds up nice and small (easy to hide), compatible magazines/ammo with many common pistols, semi=automatic magazine fed weaponry is almost always nice.

If you were to want a rifle caliber, the SU16 wouldn't be a bad option either. Takes standard AR mags and also folds up for easy transport.

The reason I focus on the compactness of the platforms for SHTF senarios is that generally speaking the guys with the ARs, AKs or whatever are not going to be able to avoid notice nearly as easily as those carrying pistols or another compact weapon. Most times, you can't just walk around with a rifle or shotgun slung over your back without someone noticing. Especially in an emergency.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links