Justified concern or paranoia? - Page 3

Justified concern or paranoia?

This is a discussion on Justified concern or paranoia? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When the alarm bell start going off in so many folks head it makes me believe there is something to this. It started for me ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    When the alarm bell start going off in so many folks head it makes me believe there is something to this. It started for me about 2 years ago and has not stopped. I consider it a warning and have made what preparations possible. A 10/22 with 3by 9 scope well zeroed and good stock of ammo is a fearsome fighter. If you can regularly hit a quarter at 100 yards with this little rifle you can control your block. At 200 yards it drops about 26 inches and will still do more damage than you want to be hit with.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    If you can regularly hit a quarter at 100 yards with this little rifle you can control your block. .
    What if I'm on the next block with a .308 and want your block too?
    "Just blame Sixto"

If no peaceful way to work out arrangements just invite you to come over and eat lead with me. If the 308 is not really well zeroed then for all its bark it may not be that big a problem. On a tight budget as this post is talking about I would rather have a good 10/22 with 3by9 scope and plenty of ammo as to have a high dollar 308 and very little expensive ammo. I know the value of 7.62 in M14 carried one a long ways and shot it a lot. Also know the value of well placed long range little .22 caliber lead hail stones.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    What if I'm on the next block with a .308 and want your block too?
    Drop your quarters, you punk, 'cause you don't stand a chance! Grrrr-rrrrr.

Good point about "firepower." Ain't nothin' certain, until the final act. Determination goes both ways, and anything we can acquire can be obtained by the BG's. It's why I'm so leery of the chances for folks on the street until there are 30-40x the number of folks carrying as there is now. Until then, until a far greater number of people is trained, we're behind the curve.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Searcher, don't get me wrong... If you read the thread from the beginning, I was the first to suggest a 22. IMO, it is the most valuable tool one could have in a SHTF situation. Money wasn't the concern of the OP either.
    I see, understand and even agree with your point. However, it does have limitations. It would be easy to out range a marksmen with a 22 given all other things being equal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Hey Janq,

No, I'm not talking about the Alamo. Just a band of trick-or-treaters that are likely to show up and see what's in the nice, big house when there are no cops to respond. I think the term for what I'm lacking is 'over-whelming firepower'. Ain't no way I'm fleeing from a handful of dirt-bags.

Bugging-out is a whole different story, but one that I plan for as well. I already own raw parcels of land here and there. These make for good long-term investments as well.

Cheers.
    Sounds like what you're describing is the role of the shotgun. A Rem 870 Express pump is fairly inexpensive, and will dish out some serious firepower with #1 buckshot. The shotgun also excels at hitting moving targets - much better than a carbine or a rifle.

With birdshot, you can hunt with it.

With slugs, you can reach out as far as you can likely see. Even at a distance, a rain of buckshot will likely cause folks to reconsider their intentions.

I have a Mini 14 as well, but my go-to long gun is my Rem 870.

PS - I have dealt with mental illness (mom) all my life. Best to you!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have great respect for any 30 caliber but many folks who have purchased them and 223 in the last months have not shot them to really zero them in. Just hording there ammo as tho 1,000 rounds is going to save them. Trying to Zero a rifle in a firefight just will not work. For the novice shooter a 10/22 with next to no kick and bang yet with very good accuracy is ideal. If you can not shoot the 22 accurately what makes folks think they can by shoot a larger rifle.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    A 22lr rifle or pistol is a great game getter, and great training aid. Heck I like mine enough to have filled the stock will all sorts of survival gear.

But:

It should in no way be considered a viable defensive weapon. CAN it kill? Sure, but can it do that reliably and consistantly? More importantly, can it work fast enough to stop the threat that is at hand before the threat stops you?

The point about practice is indeed a good one, which is why they make excellent training aids.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I guess I have my own peace of mind....knowing that my wife will be taking out zombies with the scoped AR15 while I do the close in dirty work with the AK47. I can't hide anything in this house, and wouldn't if I could. She's got my back and I have hers. When the SHTF, we're going together.
    For some reason a scene from the movie "Tremors" just popped into my head...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
    For some reason a scene from the movie "Tremors" just popped into my head...
    No doubt huh?

I have a .30.30 as well as an .06 and 35 whelen. Shotty too. I have hit elk at 420 yards with the .06 and it dropped where it wss standing. I have hit clay pigeons at 200 yards and I have hit black at 100 yards with my Mossberg 500 with slugs as well as with my .30.30 iron sights.

I think you are good with what you have. The gun is a tool, the art comes from the tool's owner. Become proficient with what you have, that is how you will be effective. Allow it to become an extension of you and practice when you are winded, shaky and cold, if it gets cold where you are.

Try running in place until you are out of breath, do push up etc until your arms are fatigued, to get an idea of what it is like to shoot while stressed. This will prepare you for if the SHTF. I practice this way with all of my arms as I never know what condition I'll be in when a deer or whatnot presents itself. Chance favors the prepared.

I too have thought of what if... I guess it comes from my friend/ martial arts instructor. It has enabled me to become more aware of my surroundings and if nothing else, that is one thing in which I am very grateful.

The remarks I have made about myself above are not meant to be boasting nor bragging, but are stated merely to give you confidence in what you have and to encourage you to practice as much as your situation allows. Take some classes to learn the basics as they are the foundation in which everything else is built upon.

As is said at Front Sight, any gun will do, if you will do.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I wouldnt be overly concearned with the AR for SHTF deal. Its nice to have, however, I honestly think most people will be fine or even better off without one.
    I would concetrate my efforts on collecting other items for survival, such as food sources, energy etc. In the firearms dept., I think as long as a guy has a good quality shotgun, .22 rifle and a common caliber pistol, I think he is good to go. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

Maybe collecting a good stash of ammo for the guns you already have would be prudent.
    As usual, I have to disagree with parts of your comments. While I totally agree with the shotgun recommendation, I think a .22 is considered a "this is all I have firearm", don't get me wrong a .22 is a cheap versatile weapon. In a SHTF scenario an AR, 30 30, or mini 14 is a better choice in my opinion. I was not taught to prepare for the worst with bare minimums.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    As usual, I have to disagree with parts of your comments. While I totally agree with the shotgun recommendation, I think a .22 is considered a "this is all I have firearm", don't get me wrong a .22 is a cheap versatile weapon. In a SHTF scenario an AR, 30 30, or mini 14 is a better choice in my opinion. I was not taught to prepare for the worst with bare minimums.
    No need to disagree, because you are mirroring what I have said. I didnt mention a 30/30 or anything else in my post, because he already has that. If you look at all my posts in this flowing conversation, I think you will find that we are in agreement.

My point is, that I feel like a .22 and a shotgun would be the bare minimum for a SHTF. Its a good base to start with. It covers any N. American game, and will do a fine job protecting the home stead. A high powered rifle, be it an assualt style or even a deer rifle would be the next step. Since the OP already has the 30/30, I'm suggesting he concentrate on base items before adding extra firearms.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Get an AK under-folder. Folded, it is small enough to keep it in stealth mode until needed.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links