Justified concern or paranoia?

This is a discussion on Justified concern or paranoia? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Recently we saw cities and counties across the country come very close to not being able to meet payroll for law enforcement. We came very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Justified concern or paranoia?

VIP Member

Recently we saw cities and counties across the country come very close to not being able to meet payroll for law enforcement. We came very close to a true SHTF. I think it's reasonable to think that it might happen for real someday. What concerned me was that other than my trusty 30-30 (lever action Marlin) and some assorted handguns, I really don't own much fire power. I'm mostly set up for concealed carry/self defense.

Now also bear in mind that my wife hates guns. Half of the handguns that I own, she doesn't know about. However, I'd feel pretty naked trying to defend my home against a coordinated effort. I've been thinking about an AR platform (.223 or .308) to address this. However, in order for me to maintain peace at home, I'd have to immediately stash it, only to be retrieved during an emergency.

My question is, am I over-thinking this and just being paranoid? Or is it really worth the $1,500 + stock-piled ammo to tuck away and never be seen until it is needed?

Am I the only one that lays awake at night and thinks about this stuff?

Pretty much if you are going against a "coordinated attack" , your pretty much screwed either way. But in a true SHTF scenario, or what we saw in New Orleans, your trusty .30-30 would be great. A few handguns, a shottie, and a rifle. Looks like your good. Put that extra 1500 into training and ammo.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post

Oh no, you are certainly not the only one who lays awake and thinks about this stuff.

There are plenty of other paranoids out there who do too!

Ok, that, I just couldn't resist! I didn't want to say it... I had to say it!

Now, in all seriousness. Having to tuck it away and hide it until needed would seem to be a waste of money for a lot of people.

Would be best if you could convince the wife, it is a necessary insurance policy and for the money, you should be able to shoot it and enjoy it. Besides, in a real SHTF situation, that's not a good time to be trying to get up to speed on a new weapon system.

Hopefully, society will never break down to a point where weapons like that are needed.

But I have a Colt AR-15 5.56 and an FN FAL in 7.62 plus a bolt action .30-06 among other long arms. I don't shoot them as often as I used to or would like to because of ammo prices, but I won't be getting rid of them either.

If you want to be as prepared as possible for a SHTF situation, having a semi-auto battle rifle of some sort or another is prudent investment in my opinion. Be it an AR, an AK, an SKS, FAL, M1A or an M1 Garand.

Just my opinion. Also, my opinion is that having one makes you a "forward thinker," not a paranoid.

BTW... there's nothing wrong with that lever action .30-30 if that's what you got.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Considering we have stuff from .22 semiauto rifles, to a .303 rifle and a shotgun or two for SHTF. A .30-30 leveraction is a good choice.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Administrator
    I wouldnt be overly concearned with the AR for SHTF deal. Its nice to have, however, I honestly think most people will be fine or even better off without one.
    I would concetrate my efforts on collecting other items for survival, such as food sources, energy etc. In the firearms dept., I think as long as a guy has a good quality shotgun, .22 rifle and a common caliber pistol, I think he is good to go. Anything beyond that is icing on the cake.

Maybe collecting a good stash of ammo for the guns you already have would be prudent.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If things ever go really bad, a lever action is going to speak volumes. The downside argument is limited capacity, but if you have 10 or 15 people right in front of you, a 20 round magazine is not going to bring much comfort either.

Recently we saw cities and counties across the country come very close to not being able to meet payroll for law enforcement. We came very close to a true SHTF.

... am I over-thinking this and just being paranoid?
    People who fail to consider the possibility are naive.

People to do consider the possibility are wise.

People who go overboard regarding the possibility are considered by some to be paranoid, 'cause what're the chances.

The point is: it's up to you and your chances, as well as the degree of preparation you want or that'll make sense, given your home's location and floorplan, how well it can be defended by you without police, how comfortable your entire household is with security planning.

Or is it really worth the $1,500 + stock-piled ammo to tuck away and never be seen until it is needed?
    That would be a complete and utter waste of time and money. You'd never know that it or you would work as advertised. The money is only the first in a series of steps over time. If it's the only step, it's a waste, IMO.

You can, however, find a decent AR for half that amount. That, itself, would free up enough cash to cover a case or two of ammo. Check GunBroker for listings. If you go used, you can find one for several hundred less.

Now, that's paranoid! Unless, of course, your SHTF scenario is barreling down on you right now.

Not worth losing sleep over. Yes, it's worth thinking about. But, I'm not that competent with an AR, mostly due to familiarity and comfort with the ergonomics. I do fine with my pistols and a shotgun, which all feel a part of me when going through courses of fire and basic training. Will it be enough? In my citified dwelling, probably just fine. Were I to be in the hills a bit, probably not.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; September 23rd, 2009 at 06:44 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I agree that if you have a shotgun, good rifle, and a few assorted handguns you're good to go. Having plenty of ammo for each would be key. Sixto is right in that you have other issues when the SHTF. Luckily my grandparents live next door and there may be enough stuff that's canned each year to last for a long time. We have a source of water that doesn't need power and wood/coal burning furnace capability. Gas would be the biggest concern for me. Maybe I need my own underground storage tank.
    G23 w/GTL21, G27, Ruger LCP, & Taurus 617 SS
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Member
    VT Class of '96

My biggest fear is another terrorist attack on US soil. Look at Israel. Those folks live a world in which a citizen could be killed by a terrorists. I sure hope my beloved USA never gets to that point.

If it did, those terrorist SOB will surely be fasting on lead diets by the smart armed American citizen.

May God watch over our great nation.

My question is, am I over-thinking this and just being paranoid? Or is it really worth the $1,500 + stock-piled ammo to tuck away and never be seen until it is needed?
    If it's never seen until you need it, then I'd say it is a waste. If you want to have a rifle (or any other firearm) for self-defense, buying the gun and ammo is only step 1. Step 2 is getting good training in how to fight with that sort of gun. There are a lot of carbine training courses out there these days, so find one and take your new rifle to learn what you need to know about. Step 3 is to practice regularly, both dry practice at home and live fire practice out at the range.

The hardware is only half the picture, you need the right software to go with it.

It doesn't seam like the value of battle rifles will be on the decline any time soon. At least thats what I told my wife when she asked why we needed an AR-15.

Sometimes it's all about how you sell it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Thanks to all who responded. 'All very thoughtful comments.

Alrighty - I'll chill for now, with the caveat that as soon as I smell the assault weapons ban coming, I'm picking up the AR

Just having a couple of firearms and extra ammo around the house is 'common sense'.
    Do I think that society may 'come apart'? I hope not, but I'm prepared.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Recently we saw cities and counties across the country come very close to not being able to meet payroll for law enforcement. We came very close to a true SHTF. I think it's reasonable to think that it might happen for real someday. What concerned me was that other than my trusty 30-30 (lever action Marlin) and some assorted handguns, I really don't own much fire power. I'm mostly set up for concealed carry/self defense.

Now also bear in mind that my wife hates guns. Half of the handguns that I own, she doesn't know about. However, I'd feel pretty naked trying to defend my home against a coordinated effort. I've been thinking about an AR platform (.223 or .308) to address this. However, in order for me to maintain peace at home, I'd have to immediately stash it, only to be retrieved during an emergency.

You want to know something? Not like I'm keeping a secret or anything.....it's just that.....well, most of us can only shoot one gun at a time. (This is the point where most will agree). Next thoughts are........20-40 rounds per magazine, medium to long range firepower is a definite advantage. I'm a true believer that for any SHTF intended purposes, one should own either an AK47 or an AR15 and as many magazines and as much ammo as one thinks they might need to either hold your ground, or breach enemy lines for a bug out and then survive later on down the road and defending or taking game.
    If the black helicopters come and snuff you out as a community hazard with one missile, at least you'll have gone with the peace of mind knowing you had that AR15 ready and willing to go. Nobody can tell you that you're over-thinking things or being paranoid here. Whatever goes down, you owe it to yourself to practice with your SHTF go-to weapon, and this bit about stashing it and sneaking around just won't cut it. I guess I have my own peace of mind....knowing that my wife will be taking out zombies with the scoped AR15 while I do the close in dirty work with the AK47. I can't hide anything in this house, and wouldn't if I could. She's got my back and I have hers. When the SHTF, we're going together.

You sleep good at night being prepared for work or what life throws at you...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links