Hd shotgun suggestions.... - Page 2

Hd shotgun suggestions....

This is a discussion on Hd shotgun suggestions.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Congrats on choosing the Remington 870! I have noticed many of the newer home defense 870s are coming from the factory with shorter forearms, I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Congrats on choosing the Remington 870!

I have noticed many of the newer home defense 870s are coming from the factory with shorter forearms, I know mine did and I was able to install a 6 round side saddle without replacing or cutting the factory forearm like I had to do on my first 870. I really like the Hogue rubber forearm as it provides a good grip even with oily hands. If you're going to get a light for it, make sure it is LED because the incandescent bulbs can't withstand the recoil of the 12 gauge.

This one in particular came with a really cool digital camo forearm and stock. I took the stock off and put on the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. I think Remington is only running a limited number of these.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by bryman View Post
    well i think ill go with the 870. seems like i can find it pretty cheap most places, and like said above you can get tons of stuff for it!!

i think i have decided to get the knoxx stock & the PowerPak Modular Cheek Piece for it right off. id also like to get the Mesa Tactical Saddle Mount 8-Shot SureShell Carrier, but would that require a smaller forend? it seems to mount further back, thats fine i guess, cause id LOVE to get this surefire forend, but its pricey so that will be down the line a bit. but i really want that mesa saddle mount and shotshell carrier now! LOL. so if it wont fit with stock forend, whats a good quality cheaper alternative to the surefire that i can use in the meantime? maybe the Hogue Overmold Stock and Forend? how does that work out? i guess to keep the gun lighter i can skip the surefire end, and put a flashlight on the mesa mount huh? or maybe something like this tri rail forend. has anyone tried using it?

UUUGGGHHH!!!! so many decisions!!
    I have a Knoxx stock on my 870 and it makes a world of difference.

Surefire also makes a great forend/light for them as well.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    (1) The absolute best light solution is a Surefire Weaponlight forend, but a cheaper alternative is the forend with a short pice of rail available from GG&G Tactical Rifle Accessories - Military & Assault Rifle Parts For Sale , with a less-expensive light mounted on the rail. I own both the Weaponlight and the GG&G set-ups; we have several shotguns.

(2) I hate sidesaddles, myself, but some folks love them. See #3 below. A bandolier or small "fanny" pack can be kept with the shotgun, and tossed over one's shoulder when picking up the gun.

(3) I like a shotgun that looks all-business, and does not weigh a ton, so you won't find cup holders and barbeque grills hanging off of them. You may certainly go the other way, but I recommend keeping things light and sleek. I did customize one of mine by breaking out some windows with the barrel. That will add character marks to the Parkerizing. That is a good thing about wearing a badge; sometimes you get to break windows in unorthodox ways.

(4) 12 gauge will certainly work, and is the easiest for which to find ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    To continue, I like the Remington 870P just fine. It has been long been on my agency's "approved" list, which keeps shrinking, but I doubt they will ever disallow the 870, unless they disallow all shotguns, and I seriously doubt that will happen. I do have to buy my own duty shotguns.

I have read and heard good things about the Mossberg 590, but have no personal experience.

Regarding the "doorbuster" thing, well, you don't need to one to bust real doors, much less need it adding extra length to your HD shotgun. Yes, I have been trained to breach doors; you don't need the stand-off. If you breach doors, wear GOOD eyewear, HEAVY gloves, and a very sturdy hat or helmet would be a VERY good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    (1) The absolute best light solution is a Surefire Weaponlight forend, but a cheaper alternative is the forend with a short pice of rail available from GG&G Tactical Rifle Accessories - Military & Assault Rifle Parts For Sale , with a less-expensive light mounted on the rail. I own both the Weaponlight and the GG&G set-ups; we have several shotguns.

(2) I hate sidesaddles, myself, but some folks love them. See #3 below. A bandolier or small "fanny" pack can be kept with the shotgun, and tossed over one's shoulder when picking up the gun.

(3) I like a shotgun that looks all-business, and does not weigh a ton, so you won't find cup holders and barbeque grills hanging off of them. You may certainly go the other way, but I recommend keeping things light and sleek. I did customize one of mine by breaking out some windows with the barrel. That will add character marks to the Parkerizing. That is a good thing about wearing a badge; sometimes you get to break windows in unorthodox ways.

(4) 12 gauge will certainly work, and is the easiest for which to find ammo.
    thanks rex, for all your info! i definatley want that surefire! but that GG&G stock is nice too for a cheaper starter offer!

I love my Mossy
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I love my Mossy
    im kinda liking that front vertical grip.........how do those hold out? i mean with recoil vibrations and what not does it stay tight?

Administrator
    Do yourself a favor; leave it stock and learn to run the gun as is... then make a few mods if you still want to.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Do yourself a favor; leave it stock and learn to run the gun as is... then make a few mods if you still want to.
    i know all about it from military experiance, im just buying my first HD one lol

There are only (3) shotguns for HD that I would recommend. Remington, Mossberg 590 and Benelli.

My mossberg 590 is set up with a
    Knoxx Spec-Ops stock it effectively reduces recoil. More importantly it reduces muzzle rise and helps with my follow up shots
    KNOXX Powerpack holds extra ammo, raises cheek weld to the proper height, also holds spare batteries
    A NovaTac Flashlight it has three intensity settings and strobe so I can see my target of course. Strobe is reputed to disorient the target and make it harder for them to get a fix on you
    MAKO T-Grip it holds my flashlight. Has a trigger to operate my flashlight and laser without releasing my firing grip. It seems to aid in reducing muzzle rise and speeds chambering rounds
    LaserLyte laser if I need to fire before I have the shotgun properly mounted and aimed
    An Red Dot sight. for instantaneous target acquisition while keeping both eyes open target focused and peripheral vision in tact

Everyone who shoots this thing gets this huge grin on their puss amazed at how fast and accurate they are with it
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

For looking good, the cheekpiece that holds spare ammo and the AR stock are fine. Shooting it for real is a different story. That ammo holder will literally break your face if you fire it from the off-hand shoulder. The rail forend will tear up your hand if you don't use some rail covers on it. I like the Knoxx products, but the Knoxx Compstock is a lot easier to shoot and train with. The Mesa rail is a top notch piece of Gear, I own a few of them. More money on ammo than gadgets.

im kinda liking that front vertical grip.........how do those hold out? i mean with recoil vibrations and what not does it stay tight?
    No probs at all with about 400 rounds with it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    For looking good, the cheekpiece that holds spare ammo and the AR stock are fine. Shooting it for real is a different story. That ammo holder will literally break your face if you fire it from the off-hand shoulder. The rail forend will tear up your hand if you don't use some rail covers on it. I like the Knoxx products, but the Knoxx Compstock is a lot easier to shoot and train with. The Mesa rail is a top notch piece of Gear, I own a few of them. More money on ammo than gadgets.
    Really after thousands of round by me and others none of that has ever happened. After shooting shotguns for over forty plus years this is the set up that works best for me. I can drop eight targets with my shootie almost as fast as I can drop eight targets with my .45.

I have used a Copstock I prefer a stock over pistol grip. So I see no need to have a folding stock just one more thing to mess with. I prefer simple. My set up does not require on single extra action over a plain jane stock shot gun. Also you lose half of the recoil reducing function with a Copstock, read increased muzzle rise. Slower return to target.

Lost me on the fore end comment the fore end rail has a pistol grip attached that holds the flashlight no way you can grab the rail.

After forty years I have spent far more on ammo than gadgets. Granted it was only after those kids in the navy and army talked me into trying the gadgets that they used have I enjoyed shooting a shotgun as much as I do now. This one is just plain fun and no matter what else I take out to shoot the shootie comes along

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

i think i have decided to get the knoxx stock & the PowerPak Modular Cheek Piece for it right off.
    If you go with the KNOXX stock and PowerPack you will not need a Mesa Tactical Saddle Mount 8-Shot SureShell Carrier as the PowerPack has a side saddle built into it. See my pic above. You can opt not to put it on but that does not make a lot of sense to me. But than we all have personal preferences

id LOVE to get this surefire forend, but its pricey so that will be down the line a bit.
    IMO the surefire set up is way overpriced and over rated. The MAKO T-Grip is reasonably priced and more intuitive to use. Grab the grip your light is on. With a NovaTac light hold the trigger for high beam or double tap for strobe. As opposed to releasing/changing your firing grip to operate the buttons on the side of the surefire set up. I also prefer the pistol grip of the T-Grip but that again is a personal preference thing. Some folks hate vertical foregrips.

One last thought is get the shotgun you want. Use it as is. Practice and get comfortable with it as is. Than add one mod use it practice with it. Does that mod work for you? Is it a benefit? If not get rid of it. Do that one mod at a time. Remember what works for you may not work for you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links