AR Opinion, Stag or S&W - Page 4

AR Opinion, Stag or S&W

This is a discussion on AR Opinion, Stag or S&W within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like you are taking a rational approach, and good for you in doing the research....

View Poll Results: Which AR brand do you like better?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stag Arms

38 70.37%
  • Smith & Wesson

16 29.63%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: AR Opinion, Stag or S&W

Administrator
    Looks like you are taking a rational approach, and good for you in doing the research.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I appreciate everyone's input. I really do.

I spent a good bit of today doing research on the AR platform and some things I have learned are:

Gas key staking. Doing it properly is the best way to go BUT, it isn't as big an issue on a gun that is not a full auto model. The hex bolts rarely loosen if the gun is just a semi auto that is not subjected to prolonged sustained fire.

Parkerizing under the FSB is desirable but not a deal killer. Again, if the gun is not going to be carried around out in the weather and mud of a battlefield, no parkerizing under the FSB isn't a big thing to loose sleep over.

4140 or 4150 steel? Again, 4140 is not as desirable as the 4150 but, again, if not a full auto and just the occasional range gun and home defense gun, 4140 is fine.

The refiling twist rate, 1:7 or 1:9. From what I have read time and time again, a twist of 1:9 is fine as long as you do not plan on shooting out at very long distances. The 1:7 will stabilize heavier bullets like 75 grain when shooting out at long ranges and will shoot the top of the line self defense ammo a little better, again, out to further ranges. But I have to say guys, honestly, a 55 grain bullet fired at a bad guy at something like 50 to a couple hundred feet is going to screw someones day up royally. And I plan on this being a HOME defense gun. My house isn't the size of an airplane hanger.

What I have learned basically is this: I am not going to be going into combat in the jungle or the desert with this rifle. I am going to go to the range from time to time and other than that (and maybe a self defense rifle training course) it is going to be at home as a home defense rifle. And with that in mind, I honestly think that the Stag would serve me just fine in this role. So, at this point, I am still leaning towards the Stag.

If any of you have not seen this article and want to read some good info here is the link to So You Want To Buy An AR 15? and here is a link to what I have seen described many times as "The Chart" that compares specs between several different brands. THE CHART
    Good job on the research indeed. Keep in mind that a barrel twist of 1.9 can shoot hundreds of yards. I have not had the chance to go out past 500 yards too many times (I live is a heavily forested area), but I have been accurate at 300 yards easily.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Gas key staking. Doing it properly is the best way to go BUT, it isn't as big an issue on a gun that is not a full auto model. The hex bolts rarely loosen if the gun is just a semi auto that is not subjected to prolonged sustained fire.
    RE: Gas key staking - A lot of trainers are going to disagree with you there. I've seen a them come loose twice on semi-auto range toys whose greatest exertion was moving to and from the firing bench. The newer the gun the less likely the bolts are to back out, but as simple an operation as this is there's no excuse for a manufacturer not to do it.

RE: Parkerizing under FSB - Sounds rational enough. I think it's more circumstance than personal interest that the better upper assemblies and barrels out there also happen to be park'd under the FSB.

RE: barrel steel - If you're not shooting thousands of rounds per year then no, there isn't really much of a difference between the two types of steel.

RE: twist rate - For the .223, twist rate doesn't do much for terminal ballistics (what the bullets do to a target). However, it does have a pretty big influence on external ballistics (how the bullets travel on the way to the target). 1:7 twist can and will stabilize plain old M193 just fine, and it isn't until a few hundred meters that groups start opening up into patterns. Tighter than 1:7 becomes a waste, since nothng that needs such a fast rate of twist really fits into an AR15 magazine. 1:8 is pretty much as tight as we ever really need, unless you really like shooting tracers. Since you're using this as a defensive gun, a 1:7 or 1:8 rate of twist would be the way to go.

What I have learned basically is this: I am not going to be going into combat in the jungle or the desert with this rifle. I am going to go to the range from time to time and other than that (and maybe a self defense rifle training course) it is going to be at home as a home defense rifle. And with that in mind, I honestly think that the Stag would serve me just fine in this role. So, at this point, I am still leaning towards the Stag.
    Sounds reasonable enough. I'd still pick RRA over Stag, but I paid dealer price for my RRA. And RRA makes one heck of a 1911.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links